Rudeness and bad manners - in the eye of the beholder?

nb125

Someone mentioned shore excursions. That's where my blood may begin to boil (the few times we book them) because we're held hostage by another passenger's desire to linger longer than the requested time at a stop, for reasons they consider valid. Whether it is because they have very special cameras and need to adjust a lot, or they got caught up in their shopping frenzy, there's one oblivious couple or person on every bus, it seems.

Once we were on a shorex in Casablanca when a couple tipped the guide into re routing the planned itinerary so they could go to a certain obscure store for a particular item they wanted.

They saw nothing rude about it, and were in fact quite proud of themselves, showing off their treasures with big smiles when they got back on the bus to stony faces of the other 30 people who had been stuck 30 minutes waiting.

I would have taken care of such an errand on my own by taxi after the tour. These people clearly did not think their actions were rude. Or they knew it, but didn't care about inconveniencing others.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Once we were on a shorex in Casablanca when a couple tipped the guide into re routing the planned itinerary so they could go to a certain obscure store for a particular item they wanted.

Rerouted an entire tour to add a special shop stop?

I know I would be hoping they tipped very well, as I would not be tipping that guide. He should have been reported to the Shore Excursion Office.

Probably the worst we have ever seen was on a Celebrity cruise. A sale was to be held, time and date announced ahead of time. A large group of people (extended family?) sailing together went in 10+ minutes before the start of the sale and literally grabbed items, clutching them to their chests for dear life and refusing to let anyone else have a chance. I have never seen anything like it and hope I never do again. :eek:

After awhile when it was obvious there was nothing left, the crowd trying to get in just stood back and started taking pictures and video of the melee. It was almost comical, someone tossed a shirt into the middle of this rude group and they dived on it like vultures. I'm not making this up, crazy as it sounds.

We talked to some crew afterwards with our complaints that they let it get so out of hand. I don't think they had ever seen anything like it either. I heard people talking about "that sale" for days afterwards.

After awhile when it was obvious there was nothing left, the crowd trying to get in just stood back and started taking pictures and video of the melee. It was almost comical, someone tossed a shirt into the middle of this rude group and they dived on it like vultures. I'm not making this up, crazy as it sounds.

Reminds me of an incident when I was a kid. There was a big sale at a local department store and a big discount on coats. A bunch of women were around the table having a feeding frenzy. One woman grabbed a coat from the hands of another and the one grabbed at retaliated by grabbing at the grabbers hair- and pulled off her wig!

Shopping melees sound like the annual sale at Filene's Basement back in the day.

My husband hates people that delay shore excursions and would like to see each tour person issued a collar or wrist band. I know - definitely not politically correct. Then 5 minutes before the bus is to leave, each person gets a little tingle as a reminder, then another tingle at 1 minute, then a jolt at departure time with a stronger jolt at 5 minutes after, and the bus leaves with or without them at 15 minutes after the assigned time.

Shopping melees sound like the annual sale at Filene's Basement back in the day.

My husband hates people that delay shore excursions and would like to see each tour person issued a collar or wrist band. I know - definitely not politically correct. Then 5 minutes before the bus is to leave, each person gets a little tingle as a reminder, then another tingle at 1 minute, then a jolt at departure time with a stronger jolt at 5 minutes after, and the bus leaves with or without them at 15 minutes after the assigned time.

Our bus driver on our 5 day land tour in Alaska told us "the first time you're late everyone applauds as you get on the bus, the 2nd time everyone boos, and the 3rd time everyone waves bye-bye". We really had a good group on that trip - everyone showed up where and when they were supposed to.

Rerouted an entire tour to add a special shop stop?

I know I would be hoping they tipped very well, as I would not be tipping that guide. He should have been reported to the Shore Excursion Office.

We did indeed report it back to the office, Ruth, and probably did not tip the guide. He took quite a bit of heat from people near the front of the bus as the time stretched out.

That wristband idea has possibilities! But I really love the story of the driver's "applause, boo, wave bye-bye" instructions. Sounds like he ran a tight ship, so to speak.

Probably the worst we have ever seen was on a Celebrity cruise. A sale was to be held, time and date announced ahead of time. A large group of people (extended family?) sailing together went in 10+ minutes before the start of the sale and literally grabbed items, clutching them to their chests for dear life and refusing to let anyone else have a chance. I have never seen anything like it and hope I never do again. :eek:

We talked to some crew afterwards with our complaints that they let it get so out of hand. I don't think they had ever seen anything like it either. I heard people talking about "that sale" for days afterwards.

Sounds like a black Friday crowd...:rolleyes:

We were on a ship's shore ex in Istanbul when we stopped at the requisite rug shop. Everyone back on the bus, except one couple. Half hour later she comes on all smiles and said she bought a rug and we should all be happy she was supporting the local economy. Then she berates long and loud another couple who took her seats. Thankfully the other couple did not move. She proceeded to huff and puff and berate "some people". Everyone shunned them and refused to sit with them and they were pariahs for the rest of the cruise, as least to those of us on the bus. She told anyone who was in earshot Her husband was an anesthesiologist. I had the misfortune to be on another cruise with them, another large group of doctors, and her behavior wasn't any better.

Our bus driver on our 5 day land tour in Alaska told us "the first time you're late everyone applauds as you get on the bus, the 2nd time everyone boos, and the 3rd time everyone waves bye-bye". We really had a good group on that trip - everyone showed up where and when they were supposed to.

My tour guide in Russia said the tours were legally allowed to lose as much as 10% of the passengers along the way. I thought that was a great line, and everyone was back on time.

She told anyone who was in earshot Her husband was an anesthesiologist. I had the misfortune to be on another cruise with them, another large group of doctors, and her behavior wasn't any better.

People who brag about their jobs/money/importance or the people they know make me run a mile...

Edited by Lis2065

People who brag about their jobs/money/importance or the people they know make me run a mile...

Funny its usually never the person who is actually the rich/famous /important person that brags and throws his status around. In my experience its usually the wife/child/parent etc of the rich /famous/important person that throws the name around.

I went to a snooty private high school (my parents idea:() and have worked with the public in some form for 35 years .

"Do you know who my husband/father/son ..........is?" not only cuts no ice with me , it usually works against you *LOL*

You always want to ask these people "OK your husband is" Dr. so and so" or your son is "CEO of such and such" .....What does that make you?

Or "Don't you know who I am?" Even if I do I say no - then move on at pace!

See I am a real smart ass . One of these days someone will say "Do you know who I am ?" to me and I will take their hand and compassionately say "Oh you poor thing, My Grandmother was just like this at the end . Such a cruel disease. You stay strong .......and maybe wear a name tag."

Not to sound stuck up or anything, but I tend to find a lot of people rude these days. I work with children so you think I'd be used to a little rudeness but I feel like I notice it more by adult because of this. On our last cruise I had this man just keep staring at me in the MDR, for probably about 10 minutes and then he proceeded to spit out food into a napkin and smile at me. Gross and a kind of '***' moment. And didn't anyone teach him it's rude to stare?!

I especially notice the rudeness of other peoples children...I mean, I know kids will be kids, but sometimes I just want to ask their parents if they've been raising their kid in a barn...banging on random peoples doors in the middle of the night, running up and down the halls screaming, dropping food or cups/utensils all over and not even bothering to at least pick it up and put it on a table.

Sometimes I wonder if working with kids all day has made me afraid to have one of my own :o

See I am a real smart ass . One of these days someone will say "Do you know who I am ?" to me and I will take their hand and compassionately say "Oh you poor thing, My Grandmother was just like this at the end . Such a cruel disease. You stay strong .......and maybe wear a name tag."

Ha - reminds me of an old flight attendant story about the craziness when a flight is cancelled, A guy storms to the front of the re-booking line demanding attention with "Do you know who I am?".

The gate agent gets on the PA microphone and announces " we have a man up here who does not know who he is, if you can help him, please let us know"

I always hoped it was true, not just a road warrior urban myth.

I like the name tag suggestion, as well...

I want to be a fly on the wall when that day comes. ;)