Rudeness and bad manners - in the eye of the beholder?

nb125

Again, if you are NOT able bodied, you don't fit the described rude behavior.

Take the elevator, take the stairs. Whatever. Just don't push people out of the way in either case.

The sticking point is how does the person who thinks it's rude know who is able-bodied or not? It bothers them enough to post it here, so I would guess that person makes assumptions as to who is able bodied or not. If they didn't make assumptions, then they wouldn't think twice about who enters the elevator and who uses stairs.

Teenagers almost knocked down a woman on a walker. Totally unacceptable so I made a decision on how I will handle it.

I am a woman and if I am at the front of the elevator and someone starts to rush on before we are all out, I give them a stiff arm with my hand up and tell them to wait. If I am in the back, I very loudly tell them to wait.

Both work most of the time. If someone thinks my actions are rude-your opinion-I will continue.

;)- i luve it-- :D

I have told this story before, but it still indicates how some people can feel entitled while aboard.

On the Golden Princess DH and I had waited for an elevator after returning from a shore excursion. The wait was about 20 minutes but I was over heated and pregnant and just couldn't manage the stairs. We waited our turn. When it came the doors to one of the smaller glass elevators that go through the atrium opened. We got in but nobody else.

we went 1 or 2 floors on our way to deck 7 when the elevator stopped and a group of 3 or 4 couples were waiting. Without hesitation one woman said that if we were polite we would get out so their group could all travel together. She may, or may not said that we were obviously younger than they were but none were overweight, using a cane or other mobility assistance.

Normally polite, this attitude really rubbed me the wrong way and I asked the group how many of them were pregnant. When they gasped and studded I said that I was and was not moving. The doors closed as if on cue.

I don't any culture where demanding others get off an elevator would be considered appropriate except perhaps in a hospital.

BRAVO---i luv it,,, :D

Normally polite, this attitude really rubbed me the wrong way and I asked the group how many of them were pregnant. When they gasped and studded I said that I was and was not moving. The doors closed as if on cue.

I think that was a very polite and appropriate response to an incredibly rude demand. It might have been rude had you then cackled in an evil manner and hit the "close door" button, though! :)

Because they are BATH robes, not pool robes or grabbing lunch in the Lido robes.:D

Make sure you only wear a raincoat when it is raining, don't do anything but eat in the dining room (no cards or games)never wear a baseball cap unless you are at a baseball game. I think you get the point. We don't take a bath every time we are in the bathroom" do we.?

Of course money does not buy manners - thats not what I ment- sometimes it visa verse! I was generaly speaking!

As for the elveators- I really don´t care if people use that very practial innovation for just one floor- as long as they stick to elevator corectness!

Rudness to the staff is absolutly not acceptable. I did not hestitate to mention that to a fellow table mate who yellled and bossed a very nice waiteress around for no reason at all!

The sticking point is how does the person who thinks it's rude know who is able-bodied or not? It bothers them enough to post it here, so I would guess that person makes assumptions as to who is able bodied or not. If they didn't make assumptions, then they wouldn't think twice about who enters the elevator and who uses stairs.

True.

Bingo. Unless that poster has X-ray vision or (rudely) interrogates the 'offending' passengers as to their health, they are making an assumption about if they meet his/her own criteria to use the elevator.

I just want to warn everyone that not all people who look able-bodied are. They might have recently had surgery, or they might have a disorder like MS. You really can't tell.

I will agree. Before our last cruise I had my gall bladder out. I looked perfectly fine but going up stairs really pulled and was uncomfortable. I also agree most people could walk up one flight. Would probably get there faster too. But, I personally don't care if people use it for one floor or 10. Everyones on vacation, have a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sprint180

Why does it bother so many people that others use the elevator to go up or down only a floor or two?? Why shouldn't able-bodied people use the elevator? Who made the rule that it's only for the elderly or infirm? I feel that as long as you use it with manners and respect other peoples rights, anyone can use the elevators. The people who set themselves up as "better" because they take the stairs and judge people who use the elevators are rude in my opinion.

I think hats inside are rude. That is just the way I was raised. Cowboy, baseball, fancy. You take them off inside. I have never understood why some people accept cowboy hats as ok to wear but not baseball. There are no cows to herd on a ship. No horses to ride in the sun and heat. Take them off. I'm not sure why hats bother me so. They are just an accessory. I guess because coming from cowboy territory that is how I was raised. Not, saying I am right. Just my opinion.

I think hats inside are rude. That is just the way I was raised. Cowboy, baseball, fancy. You take them off inside. I have never understood why some people accept cowboy hats as ok to wear but not baseball. There are no cows to herd on a ship. No horses to ride in the sun and heat. Take them off. I'm not sure why hats bother me so. They are just an accessory. I guess because coming from cowboy territory that is how I was raised. Not, saying I am right. Just my opinion.

Thanks for your post. I find you perspective of coming from "cowboy territory" valuable, since that was the original purpose of the thread.

It has morphed into "my pet peeve is", but OP was asking about what may be considered rude here, but not rude there.

Dirty dishes in the corridor, passing wind on the balcony, and wearing bathrobes in public for example. I would be curious to know in what culture these things are considered acceptable.

And thanks to the OP..this thread has become my morning coffee time entertainment for the last few days :)

Bingo. Unless that poster has X-ray vision or (rudely) interrogates the 'offending' passengers as to their health, they are making an assumption about if they meet his/her own criteria to use the elevator.

It's pretty clear no one has to interrogate anyone based on the willingness of people to share their medical histories on this thread.

In any event, I am on the stairs not caring who is taking the elevator and why. I was merely trying to point out to those who made the assumption that the poster who originally noted that it's rude for able-bodied people to take the elevator one flight was really talking about non-able-bodied people.

I'm out.

People being overly loud or obnoxious in areas not meant for that. For example. It may be ok to yell, clap etc in a sports bar but in the game room where there are several families trying to play games, you should be quieter and respectful of the room.

Edited by sprint180

I don't know whether this is a cultural norm or not. I find the aggressive sales approach used in many ports in Mexico and Jamaica to be very rude. On our last cruise to Cozumel, we felt that some sales people were actually trying to separate my wife and I, which caused us to fear for our safety. Needless to say, we quickly high tailed it back to the ship.

I think that the OP posed a great question. As a person with a hearing loss, I have always found it very difficult to converse with many of HAL's crew members. I have experienced so much difficulty understanding the Neptune Lounge Concierge that I have avoided them.

It got my wondering. If yelling and speaking in a loud, booming voice could be seen by others as rude, could the opposite also be true? Could speaking in a very soft, low voice also be considered rude?

Turns out that speaking in a soft voice is a norm in many cultures. Speaking softly, but clearly, with a subdued tone is often recommended when visiting Indonesia.

Because they are BATH robes, not pool robes or grabbing lunch in the Lido robes.:D

heh.

well, I guess I better not catch anyone wearing their BATH-Robe, out in their Verandah then, or i'll report it to the Captain!

they are NOT "Verandah-Robes" :D

Edited by bert425

I must admit that seeing a bath robed couple at the Explorations Cafe on the Volendam this past Spring caught me slightly off guard. I didn't consider it rude, just a little strange. The Explorations on the Volendam is on Deck 5, no where near a pool or Spa. It just seemed a little out of place.

Oh, do they have separate spa robes?

Not certain why you would consider someone who wears their bathrobe to the pool as rude. Why is this rude? Is it because you do not like it or approve of it that makes it rude? We don't do it but when I see people who do it has never bothered me or struck me as being the least bit rude.

Edited by iancal

I watched a family of 4 place towels, magazines and flip flops on deck chairs near the aft pool. 20 minutes later they were on my shore excursion which was 4 hours long. They were joking to themselves about their big caper... They were saving the deck chairs at 9am for their return at 2pm. Rude beyond belief... And worse, parent showing the teenage children that this is appropriate conduct... nOW THTS RUDE

Edited by NYDAM