Corkage Fee Changes?

A travel agent has just posted the following to RCI's facebook page:

"BREAKING CRUISE NEWS:

Royal Caribbean International Policy Change

Effective immediately guests wishing to bring personal wine or champagne onboard with them on embarkation day may do so, limited to two (2) bottles (no boxes) of 750ml each per stateroom. When consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle will NO LONGER be subject to the corkage fee of $25.00."

Sounds great if true!

A travel agent has just posted the following to RCI's facebook page:

"BREAKING CRUISE NEWS:

Royal Caribbean International Policy Change

Effective immediately guests wishing to bring personal wine or champagne onboard with them on embarkation day may do so, limited to two (2) bottles (no boxes) of 750ml each per stateroom. When consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle will NO LONGER be subject to the corkage fee of $25.00."

Sounds great if true!

Let's keep our fingers crossed its true.

It's not April 1st today is it ? (RCL losing revenue . . . . Someone has to be having a joke!)

Just saw the posting on facebook. I will test it out next week since we will be celebrating a birthday and would love to have good bottle of champagne.
Exactly my thoughts for mine in 16 days time whilst we sail the Mediterranean.

I've never experienced a "corkage fee!"

Supposedly, they charged if you brought an outside bottle into the dining room or bar. I've had mine opened without a fee before. I think a lot of it was up to the waiter...and I tipped well.

I too have never been charged a corkage fee in any specialty restaurant or the MDR.

We don't carry wine onboard but if we receive as a gift we take to dinner. MDR has never charged us. HOWEVER, on JW in August we took a bottle to Portofino and they were going to charge $25. Instead we drank water!!! Took the wine back to our room and it was still sitting there unopened when we disembarked. The service team missed out on a nice size tip! We still tipped...just not the "over and above" tip they would have received.

We don't carry wine onboard but if we receive as a gift we take to dinner. MDR has never charged us. HOWEVER, on JW in August we took a bottle to Portofino and they were going to charge $25. Instead we drank water!!! Took the wine back to our room and it was still sitting there unopened when we disembarked. The service team missed out on a nice size tip! We still tipped...just not the "over and above" tip they would have received.

We were also on the Radiance in August and took a bottle of wine give to us by C&A to Samba Grill. They gladly opened it without a service charge.

We have never been charged for taking C&A wine to a specialty restaurant.

Edited by beachnative

Maybe the posting was referring to Gift and Gear alcohol?

"If a guest receives a bottle of wine that was purchased from Gift & Gear selection, no corkage fee will apply if the bottle is consumed in any public area."

If someone asks RC or experiences a corkage charge in the next month, please post it. I'm sailing in a month and I'd rather BYOW.

Maybe the posting was referring to Gift and Gear alcohol?

"If a guest receives a bottle of wine that was purchased from Gift & Gear selection, no corkage fee will apply if the bottle is consumed in any public area."

If someone asks RC or experiences a corkage charge in the next month, please post it. I'm sailing in a month and I'd rather BYOW.

Never been charged a corkage fee including the bottles we bring on.

The wait team is more than obliging.

Never been charged a corkage fee including the bottles we bring on.

The wait team is more than obliging.

Thanks! I see that you were just on Enchantment. That's were I'll be in a month. I'm assuming you bought wine on board? Do you just bring the bottle to the MDR or have you also had a glass with you in other venues?

No corkage is charged for wine provided by the ship, only wine that is acquired off the ship and brought to the MDR or any public area.

I remember a post once where the staff was confused. The captain had sent a bottle of wine to the poster. When the server attempted to collect a corkage fee in the MDR for it, she said no, please return it to the captain. :eek:

There was a major change real fast :D

Edited by CRUZBUDS