Question for the ladies

milly5959

Hi everyone, I hope this question is not too silly, but I am wondering about toiletries on board ship, such as shampoo, soap, hair conditioner etc...what is the quality like? It doesn't matter about the quality of the shampoo/Conditioner for my husband as he doesn't have that much hair to worry about :rolleyes:

But my hair will be a total mess if I don't use decent stuff! I am thinking that if I don't have to bring my own it will help with the baggage allowance ;)

Getting near to our first cruise now only 18 days to go

Thanks

Denise

Edited by milly5959

Bring your own! It will be too expensive to buy on board if you aren't happy. I have those little refillable plastic containers and I just take those if travel sizes aren't available.

Afterthought...what cabin category are you in? Maybe someone can provide brand specifics to help with your decision.

Edited by galavant3

Some have reported that they don't like the new products on Celebrity, while others like them. I would suggest, since you said your hair will be a mess if you don't use decent stuff, that you bring your own along, just be safe, because everyone's hair is different and what works for someone else might not work well for you hair.

Edited by NLH Arizona

i always take my own when travelling. my scalp does not like normal shampoo so i use medicated stuff. i use the little travel bottles and a full one of those does me for a 14 holiday with hair washing every 2/3 days. it wont weigh very much, the same for your own condititioner.

Hi everyone, I hope this question is not too silly, but I am wondering about toiletries on board ship, such as shampoo, soap, hair conditioner etc...what is the quality like? It doesn't matter about the quality of the shampoo/Conditioner for my husband as he doesn't have that much hair to worry about :rolleyes:

But my hair will be a total mess if I don't use decent stuff! I am thinking that if I don't have to bring my own it will help with the baggage allowance ;)

Getting near to our first cruise now only 18 days to go

Thanks

Denise

I always bring my own shampoo and facial cleanser. I am fine with the provided body wash and lotion.

Since I fly in the day before we sail, I make a trip to the local CVS/Walgreens and purchase my shampoo/conditioner as well as sunscreen and a few other sundries such as a and a febreeze spray and pump soap for the bathroom.

I think the toiletries are the same in all cabin grades, although perhaps you get more stuff in a suite. I never take any shampoo, just use what is provided. However, I have short, curly hair. EM

Suites get Bvlgari products. Other cabins get some proprietary brand, supposedly the current stuff is from Moulton Brown. Haven't used that yet, so can't comment, and I'm in a suite on my next cruise, so won't get a chance to try it.

So, when in doubt, bring your own.

I always bring my own and we get decent stuff in the sky suite, and my husband uses that. I've been known to bring home the bottles to use as refills for my own shampoo, etc. I take enough for the trip and that's it, so it doesn't enter into the picture for weight allowance or space allowance. I keep them in a double zip lock in my check through. At the end of the trip I either toss the bottles or bring them home empty to reuse again.

I just like my own products, and I'm quite sure I'm not alone there. I also bring my own hand lotion. I don't like theirs and it's quite dry on board. I'm used to living in humidity and although that isn't always a good thing, at least our skin doesn't dry out in south Louisiana. On a ship, it's quite the opposite.

I take my own products for my hair, but the ships water does something weird to my hair, it went all greasy and limp last time (its usually dry and wispy) I could not do a thing with it by the end of the cruise it was mortifiying!

When I got home I had to strip it with a really cheap shampoo to get the life back - anyone else had this happen or know a way to orevent it next time?

I take my own products for my hair, but the ships water does something weird to my hair, it went all greasy and limp last time (its usually dry and wispy) I could not do a thing with it by the end of the cruise it was mortifiying!

When I got home I had to strip it with a really cheap shampoo to get the life back - anyone else had this happen or know a way to orevent it next time?

I find the ship's water is a lot softer than we have at home, so if your usual shampoo/conditioner is rich and thick (one of the named stylist brands), it tends to weigh down the hair. Adding finishing spray before drying also adds to the weight, so I just cut out the spray and stick to quick on and off with the conditioner, lots of rinsing - no intensive conditioning.

You will not find much to buy onboard unless the salon sells products...and in small sizes

they usually have hair spray in the liquopor store that has a small sundries area...

I always bring my own in small containers...cruising is not an easy place to maintain hair...wind, sun, humidity, spa, salt water....etc,

It's the only way you can guarantee your hair will turn out the way you like it. Some can make due with what is provided, bu I prefer to bring my own because I don't want out of control hair on my vacation.

Edited by 1cruiselvr

I use what the cruiseline provides and it has always worked just fine for me.

We all have different needs/wants/etc. What someone else needs may

be totally different than what your hair needs......the products the

cruiseline offers have always worked well on my hair.

For me shampoo the on the ship works fine, but I always take my own conditioner. Without a good conditioner you don't want to see the mess:D

Like others if sailing from a US port we buy conditioner, spray, gel, sunscreen, body lotion, deodorant etc in the port city before we sail.

Celebrity shampoo and conditioner are dreadful. I buy my usual brand for use and then give ask room steward, waiter, etc. if they can use. It has never been refused, if the recipient does not use it they will share with others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'd say bring your own, unless you know you can get what you like in port on day two, so if celebrity's isn't to your liking you can grab some.

But never rely on getting what you like at the sop on board, their selections are limited and expensive.

Suites get Bvlgari products. Other cabins get some proprietary brand, supposedly the current stuff is from Moulton Brown. Haven't used that yet, so can't comment, and I'm in a suite on my next cruise, so won't get a chance to try it.

So, when in doubt, bring your own.

For some reason, I thought the new products were bliss?

We always bring our own, and like many have recommended, we'd recommend the same. I will add, the new spa since April, Canyon Ranch sells Kerastase which is our preferred brand, but I can't imagine how expensive it would be to buy it onboard.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

From the Celebrity site, it says Aqua Class gets...

Custom blended bath products (shampoo, conditioner and lotion), shower cap, cotton balls and cotton swabs

I will take my own, but this cruise, I am going to at least try the shampoo and conditioner (not the lotion) and see what I think. It would be nice to have one or two less things to pack.