Am I crazy?

AviGirl

Twice a year, DH and I book a celebrity cruise. The past few years, we've always book AQ. We have a cruise coming up in December on Equinox so I just checked prices for kicks and learned that Suite Guarantee is $167.81 more than what we paid for our AQ (final payment made). I called Celebrity to inquire and to no one's surprise, we would lose our $600 obc. As well, leaving AQ, we would lose our water (which is all we ever drink) and Persian Gardens (which I frequent a couple times a day). We are very low maintenance - both work very stressful job and use the cruises to completely relax and hibernate. We rarely eat in Blu and usually have dinner at a specialty restaurant, the buffet or MDR room service.

I have been pouring over these threads for the last couple of days trying to find a compelling reason to take advantage of the offer but I'm just not getting it. I understand that we would have a butler - but again, we're low maintenance, all he would do is bring us dinners which our room attendant already does. We would get two complimentary specialty dinners, but would lose the water, Persian Gardens and $600 obc. Not to mention, the risk of not liking the position of the suite assigned (I'm a terribly light sleeper).

Am I crazy to not want to take advantage of a suite guarantee? It's not just about the $$, it's more about the value. What would YOU do?

Let's see

You don't eat in Blu

You would get a couple of free specialty restaurants thrown in if you go to the Suite

But you would lose the OBC and Persian Gardens and the water.

I say stay in AQ, but do tell the Maitre D. there that you will be dining in the MDR so that the arrangements can be made for you and the gratuities re-assigned accordingly.

We just moved to Royal gty from s1 and ended up in Penthouse next month cruise. Never know what you get. Did lose $200 credit.

Royal gty was priced less than Celebrity suite

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Wickets

It's POSSIBLE you'd end up in Celebrity suite or better (check inventory on your sailing and see how lucky you feel). If so, you'd be able to get free water from Michaels club lounge all day, as well as alcoholic beverages if you like.

Not sure if you have Elite status or not, but either way, in a suite you'd get elite perks most likely, and Persian Gardens at least on port days. And an internet package, discounts on wine, coffees etc., at dinner.

As you enjoy room service, the suite would have an enhanced menu, and the Butler would serve it in a much more civilized manner. As you wish to avoid BLU, perhaps a nicely served private dinner in suite would be nice too one or 2 nights.

And then theres the extra captains club points, depending on where you are, perhaps these could lift you to the next tier.

But overall based on your description, seems like you'd be just as happy in Aqua.

Sounds to me like you already know the answer.

Look at it this way the suite is going to cost you, by the sounds of it almost $1000 extra.

$168 upgrade

$600 OBC lost

$xxx Water

Plus the Gardens.

Would you pay almost $1,000 for the upgrade?

Not crazy.

Hey a Suite is nice... Nicer yet when it is a "sweet deal"

But in this instance where you have $600 OBC and other perks coming your way with your Aqua Booking, I don't think going for the Suite is necessarily the best deal for you

That is unless you are also looking to make up some Captain's Points quickly to move up the ladder...

Aqua Cabins get 5 points per night, and Sky's get 8 (difference of 21 points on a 7 Night Cruise... Which is significant in so much as you'd probably spend more than $ 1,000 to go on another cruise to earn those 21 points)

Lol, I know no help...

Point is it is a personal decision that only you can weigh out & decide

Cheers!

I'd check inventory, see what's left, look at the possibility of getting a location you won't like, vs a suite you would. A suite with access to Michael's Club would offset the water loss and probably get you access to Persian Gardens if you asked.

Sounds like you re not up for he risk, but that depends on your aversion to risk I guess.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I'm confused. If you don't dine in Blu, what do you get for the extra cost of AC over CC? And if you're "low maintenance," wouldn't it work out cheaper to select a 1A or 1B in a great location and bring a case of spring water on board? That's what we did -- there are plenty of extra-large balconies in 1A, with choice of forward- or aft-facing. And none of them are under the pool deck.

The suites are great if you like extra cabin space, and cappacinos delivered each morning. There is no guarantee a suite guarantee would get you in upper suites. But that would be awesome.

I do think Host Jazzbeau is right, people often forget they bring water onboard with them and get a brand they like, or a nice water filter if they want Bottled water. those nice balconies in A1 might be a good consideration.

Hi, I was faced with a similar dilemma last year, in the end, I stayed with AQ, & I don't regret it at all.

In fact, we took an AQ guarantee, ended up with a forward A2, & discovered that we loved it! (we'd always done a hump cabin before, thought we had to have that big balcony)

If you switch, you're losing the Persian Gardens which you use several times daily (us too)

Use the $600 towards the specialty restaurants that you enjoy, & have a great time decompressing.