Cruise ends in Rome - is 11:25am flight too early?

Shimsdan

All you frequent cruisers, please help. How long does it take, on average, to get to the Rome airport at the end of a cruise? (And not doing the self walk-off as we are not able to carry all of our luggage). We are trying to decide between two different flight arrangements for our cruise next year. One leaves Rome at 11:55am and the other leaves at 11:25am. The earlier flight is more attractive for several reasons, but I am concerned that the extra 30 minutes might be needed to get to the airport in time. Any thoughts?

If you pre-arrange a taxi you should have no problem. The airport is just 40-45 minutes away, mostly motorway, you need to ensure with guest relations about not carrying luggage if it is possible. If you arranged for your luggage to be carried it would be no problem. The best and cheapest taxi we used were http://www.alltransfersinrome.com

Edited by mickey89

If you pre-arrange a taxi you should have no problem. The airport is just 40-45 minutes away, mostly motorway, just walk off carrying your luggage by 7.30am and you'll have no problem.

The best and cheapest taxi we used were www.alltransfersinrome.com

The original post was only a few lines long and made it quite clear that they could NOT carry off their own luggage :rolleyes:.

Edited by CABINET

You are calling it pretty close. Walking off at 7:30 is not an option according to your post so you will need to be in the earliest group. You will also need to pre-book private transportation. We've disembarked in Civitavecchia many times and yes, sometimes the trip is only 45 minutes but we've had it take an hour a couple times. In addition, depending on the Terminal you are leaving from, you will need a minimum of 2 hours for check-in, security, etc. (This took us 3 hours once).

You very well MAY make it, but it is far from a done deal.

It's doable without having to carry-off your luggage. Make sure you go to Guest Services a day or two after the cruise starts and tell them you'd like to be in the first group off the ship whose luggage is on the pier. Make arrangements for private transfer before you leave home. We always use rome cabs.

Hope this helps.

It is possible. This past summer we had a flight that left before noon from FCO after our Western Mediterranean cruise on Reflection. We booked airport transport/transfer with Celebrity. On your disembarkation questionnaire, tell them what flight you are on, and that you have transport with them (I suggest booking this) and they will make sure you are in one of the early groups. I believe we were off the boat and on the bus by 9:15 AM (without doing a "walk off").

Shawn

All you frequent cruisers, please help. How long does it take, on average, to get to the Rome airport at the end of a cruise? (And not doing the self walk-off as we are not able to carry all of our luggage). We are trying to decide between two different flight arrangements for our cruise next year. One leaves Rome at 11:55am and the other leaves at 11:25am. The earlier flight is more attractive for several reasons, but I am concerned that the extra 30 minutes might be needed to get to the airport in time. Any thoughts?

We have done this a number of times. If we are flying back to the USA out of terminal #5 at the Rome Airport, there are 3 security checks, so it does take more time. We always use Romecabs.com to book a private transfer. I would not book a flight as early as 11:30 am. If you are seriously considering this, call and check with Celebrity first.

If you are flying to another European country there is less security, we just did so from terminal #1. Once again, we did not book a flight til 12:55 pm, just to make sure we had plenty of time. We had a private transfer, with Romecabs.com. We requested a departure time of 8:30 am, with a pickup at 9am by the car service. We actually got off at 8:15 am, car service was there early and we got the airport about 9:30 am. We would rather be early... so that is fine for us.

We are seniors - 67/82 so we find it is easier if we have more time, airports are large, long walks to gates etc. We donot walk off with our luggage from the ship, handling carryons is enough.

If we want an early flight, we sometimes spend one night at the Hilton Airport hotel -- then take an early morning flight the next day.

It is doable but please book private transportation in advance. We also have used Rome Cabs several times and recommend them highly. Taking the ship transfer invites all of the possible problems of any bus trip ---- loading and unloading many passengers, loading and unloading luggage, waiting for stragglers, and so on. Celebrity last year was charging $92 pp for one way airport transfer ----- you'll pay no more for a private car, and it will be comfortable and more efficient. We had an 11:45 flight out of Rome last June and had no problem making it.

Im usually one for saying don't cut it but I've done this about 5 times and realize that taking later flights is not possible to the US.

I've done both private transportation as well as Celebrity transfer and have always had plenty of time. That doesn't mean I'll never miss a flight from FCO doing this but in my opinion you'll be fine. I've never carried off my own luggage, but always try to get off with the earliest group.

I recently made an 11:15am flight in Rome with time to spare. We also stopped at the Global Blue desk to get a VAT refund. For us it was easily done. Then AA departed an hour late anyway, but the wait time was on the plane.

We used Rome Cabs and was off the ship by around 7:15. IF you are going to book an early flight by all means I would recommend spending the money for a reputable private car service such as Rome Cabs.

Absolutely doable. We had flight at 11:55am and we had to wait 1 hour till registration starts (2 hours before flight because we fly to Dublin) ... Even if you'd leave 8:00 - 8:15 am from the port, you will be around 9 am in FCO (2.5 hours before flight).

We always use Rome Cabs in Rome and they are fabulous!

Edited by cruza

Thanks to all who responded. I should have mentioned that we are flying from Rome to Dusseldorf before ending in NY. And we are flying business class. Will those two factors weigh in our favor for getting through security faster and making the flight?

I have done 10:20 twice. First time with Celebrity transfers and next with group transfers. Both times from terminal 1 and connecting in Amsterdam. While the check in line at FCO was long, we had plenty of time.

Gail

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks to all who responded. I should have mentioned that we are flying from Rome to Dusseldorf before ending in NY. And we are flying business class. Will those two factors weigh in our favor for getting through security faster and making the flight?

You should be fine. As other posters mentioned, you won't have as many check lines because you're flying to another EU Schnegan country, you won't exit the EU until you leave the German airport. Being on a business class ticket should give you priority lines for check in as well as priority for security checks.

If you were flying direct to U.S. I'd say take the later flight, but in your case, you should be fine.

You really should have no problem unless the ship is late getting into port. We've flown at 11 and 11:30 out of Rome and BOTH times and had over an hour and a half to wait around at the gate for the flight. We asked for earliest debark times(not SELF debark) and were off the ship by 7 each time.

You will need to hire a car service for sure. We used Rome in Limo but there are several. If they pick you up at 7AM you should be at the airport by 8 or 8:30 at the latest. That gives you 3 hours to go through the lines.....I see no reason barring major traffic jam(as in hours long) that you wouldn't make it....

Oh and we were flying direct to USA ..... still absolutely no problem and would/will do it again next time!!

Edited by Gracie115

Since you are flying to another EU destination from Rome (Dusseldorf), you should definitely be OK. When we flew from Rome this summer, there was a separate security line for flights to the US and Israel (it was a much longer/slower line)...everyone else went through the main screening lines in Rome.

If you are flying direct to the US, then you will need more time (I didn't consider that in my prior post as we were flying direct to Toronto, Canada).

No matter what you choose, you will love the trip!

Shawn

Edited by KW Cruisers

just take your own bags off the ship at 630 or 700 ....and have your own car and driver waiting Rome Taxi is the best - reliable on time and economical. Its a bit over an hour to the airport (FCO) We made a 930 flight.

You might want to read the first post again. The OP specifically does not wish to self disembark..................

The one thing that could be a fly in the ointment re the earlier flight is where the cruise has come from ie. first European port from a Transatlantic taking longer at immigration, though I'm pretty sure there aren't any Celebrity arrivals at Rome like that.

So with pre arranged transport port to airport and an early disembarkation number it should be a doddle.