How would Pacific Princess to Alaska compare?

dcsam

Recently did an Alaska cruise on the Pacific Princess and have nothing negative at all to report. The ship is in excellent shape, the crew were extremely friendly and the food was very good. I am sure it is not to the standard of Oceania but very good. The itinerary in Alaska that Princess provides is excellent with long port stops and of course the prize of Glacier Bay, with a ranger on board all day narrating about the different areas within the bay and Alaska in general. Because it is so scenery and nature focused ,I don't believe you could go wrong with Pacific Princess.

Thank you everyone, for your input. I did spend some time looking at various Youtube videos of both Oceania Regatta and the Pacific Princess. Just in terms of furnishings, there was quite a difference between the two. The Regatta seems very similar to our Azamara experiences - which we loved. We'll wait and see what the sailings look like in another month or so. I signed up for Oceania's mailing list, and was immediately contacted (via email) by an Oceania rep. If a great opportunity arises, we'll be booking. A big bonus is no air would be needed since we live within driving distance of Seattle and Vancouver.

Thank you, Atlantic Cruiser. I do like the looks of the Pacific Princess itinerary, and will also consider this ship.

Thanks again.

Edited by dcsam

Don't think there is any comparison. In 2013, I did the Alaska cruise on Regatta. In 2014, did it on the Princess. The only "good" thing about Princess was that the cruise left from Vancouver (which was convenient for me). I found that the ship was pretty tatty, disliked the self-serve buffet where the serving could be done by passengers rather than staff, didn't like having set times for meals in the dining room, found the food basically to be mundane and not very good. Basically, the only good thing was that it was less expensive than Oceania. But, IMHO, not something I will do again. I'm going back to Oceania. Sometimes things are worth what you have to pay for them.

What are the smoking restrictions on Pacific Princess? How about the dining, purely open or fixed? Or some combination, not completely open? How about the beds? I doubt there is a cruise line anywhere, except possibly Regent, with more comfortable beds that Oceania.

What are the smoking restrictions on Pacific Princess? How about the dining, purely open or fixed? Or some combination, not completely open? How about the beds? I doubt there is a cruise line anywhere, except possibly Regent, with more comfortable beds that Oceania.

Don, this is one of two threads that is really confusing to me. IMO, you truly cannot compare Oceania with a mainstream cruise line. It is a bit unusual to find two separate threads trying to do that. There does not seem to be any consideration given to the quality of these cruise lines. Very strange:confused:

Edited by Travelcat2

Don, this is one of two threads that is really confusing to me. IMO, you truly cannot compare Oceania with a mainstream cruise line. It is a bit unusual to find two separate threads trying to do that. There does not seem to be any consideration given to the quality of these cruise lines. Very strange:confused:

Well, it's very rare that a mainstream and near-luxury cruise line sail the exact same ship. So it's reasonable to wonder if the cost differential makes sailing on R3 a better value proposition than paying the extra for R2. But if cost is no object, then it wouldn't make sense.

OMG, Princess was soooo inexpensive that I thought they made a mistake and only charged me for one. We went on it, and no butler, but even with paying for the alternative restaurants it was WAY GOOD. I did NOT like the formal nights and would NOT LIKE THEM AT ALL IN ALASKA. But let me be clear...luxury or mainstream, the smaller ships on Princess are NOT bad. If I could go on them for the price of "bus fare"...and have an excellent room steward and have such nice treatment...I would do it! If they go to Glacier Bay...that would be what I would want.

I would not confirm this. To my taste buds, HAL's food is bland and its buffet is boring. I don't like their desserts either. Princess food has been hit and miss for me with highs and lows, but when it was good it was really good. Imho, O is in a totally different league.

I would book these lines again if the itinerary is right. Princess only if the ship is new.

Hi Floridiana, thanks for your thoughts. When you say hit and miss, do you mean that it's been mostly miss in the main dining room and mostly hit in the alternative restaurants or do you mean it's hit and miss at both venues (I am ignoring buffets because they are what they are unless it's on an O ship)?

Well, it's very rare that a mainstream and near-luxury cruise line sail the exact same ship. So it's reasonable to wonder if the cost differential makes sailing on R3 a better value proposition than paying the extra for R2. But if cost is no object, then it wouldn't make sense.

Sorry to disagree but the only "exact" same about the ship is the deck plan..NOTHING else is the same

Jancruz1

Host Jazzbeau got it right; we're comparing nearly identical ships (all built by Renaissance, thus all "R" ships, a concept with which I know you have difficulty).

In fact, there are peristent rumors that Oceania will buy one or both of the Princess "R" ships (Pacific or Ocean). I'm not certain how the NCL Purchase might affect that, but I'm sure if there is any truth to the rumor, Mr. Sheehan is aware of it. That may be what he had in mind when he talked about a small ship to Bermuda.

Edited by hondorner

disliked the self-serve buffet where the serving could be done by passengers rather than staff

One thing I love about O is the staff serves you and not the passengers serving themselves. I don't do any buffet that you serve yourself...I guess I am just getting picky in my old age.

jack

Host Jazzbeau got it right; we're comparing nearly identical ships (all built by Renaissance, thus all "R" ships, a concept with which I know you have difficulty).

In fact, there are peristent rumors that Oceania will buy one or both of the Princess "R" ships (Pacific or Ocean). I'm not certain how the NCL Purchase might affect that, but I'm sure if there is any truth to the rumor, Mr. Sheehan is aware of it. That may be what he had in mind when he talked about a small ship to Bermuda.

When Mr. Sheehan spoke about having a small ship in Bermuda, it gave me more concern about the claim that Oceania and Regent would not be changing. Having one of the two Princess "R" ships doing that route makes sense -- plus, it would leave the rest of the fleet alone.

I tell my friends, if you only cruise once in your life, it has to be Alaska. I've done it twice (Celebrity & Princess) sailing out of San Francisco. If the ship, service, and food is what is important to you, the winner is Celebrity over Princess. However, sailing into Glacier Bay was the highlight of our cruise and probably would book Princess again just for that factor. If Oceania could get licensed to enter, I would jump on it immediately. Good luck with your choice.

Hi Floridiana, thanks for your thoughts. When you say hit and miss, do you mean that it's been mostly miss in the main dining room and mostly hit in the alternative restaurants or do you mean it's hit and miss at both venues (I am ignoring buffets because they are what they are unless it's on an O ship)?

Sometimes the food on our Princess cruises was excellent, sometimes good or decent and once so bad that I had to send it back and I have never done this before. The waiter acknowledged that I was not the only one. From then on I listened very carefully to is recommendations.

.... We're thinking of Alaska and there are some smallish HAL ships and I understand that HAL is closer to O for cuisine quality than is Princess.
We've sailed Alaska 3 times on HAL mid-sized ships (1200-1400 pax) doing different itineraries each time. Glacier Bay was indeed a highlight but Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm Fjord were equally breathtaking. As much as we like Oceania and prefer them to HAL on almost every count, we would choose HAL over Oceania for Alaska. This is because HAL ships offer much better opportunities for outside viewing with their open bows and wrap-around promenade decks compared to the more closed-in R class ships. This makes a huge difference for scenic cruising in Alaska.

I have no reference point for Princess but I can assure you that the food on HAL is not comparable to Oceania. Not even close.

In Main Dining Room, Princess "R" ships have two set-time assigned traditional sittings for Dinner while Oceania "R" ships have open seating for all meals. Which would you prefer (e.g., I will never again cruise with the structure of two assigned sittings)?

In Main Dining Room, Princess "R" ships have two set-time assigned traditional sittings for Dinner while Oceania "R" ships have open seating for all meals. Which would you prefer (e.g., I will never again cruise with the structure of two assigned sittings)?

I've never cruised with set seating, and don't really want to start now, but I might compromise for the right cruise, at a good price. I think it would be a matter of tempering my expectations--food would just not be the priority. In Alaska most of your energy goes to touring and outdoor viewing anyways.

I always disliked assigned seatings and once I discovered Renaissance swore I'd never go on another line that has such a thing.

Haven't changed my mind on that yet.

(It was never a problem with the people who were assigned to our table -- just the idea of you must eat NOW.)

Mura

This thread is not comparing quality of the friggen ships or the food...its comparing which ship line has the best Alaska experience in terms of landscape and viewing

Yes Regent and Oceaina are going to have super beds, snazzy decore, attentive staff. That , however is NOT the question. The quality of the ship is a distant third of not 4th in this region. Moot, doesn't matter, not important...

The question is and always was....what ship or ships will give the best Alaska experience, NOT the best ship experience. One would hope than sailing to Alaska is motivated by ones desire to connect to the raw un commercial beauty that is Alaska.... not to dig into a lobster thermadore while getting a hot Albanian Yack oil facial...sipping Rodier Krystal....

Holland America has cruises that hit not only Glacier Bay national park and reserve, and also Hubbard as well !!! Its ships are smaller than Princess and the space on board is better. Holland has a full wrap around Promenade and a full top deck too... Princess has too many obstructions for viewing

Both, will have national park rangers on board to give continuous enrichment.

So, in Alaska, you go for one or the other Scenic experience OR you go for the lap of luxury. Because of permits, and relations with ports and the NPS you can not have both.

And that's a fact Jack...... quality experience of the place of quality on board the ship and forget the scenic qualities you are going to miss in total.

I always disliked assigned seatings and once I discovered Renaissance swore I'd never go on another line that has such a thing.

(It was never a problem with the people who were assigned to our table -- just the idea of you must eat NOW.)

Mura

Agree! + 1

Mura

I took one trip on Crystal and never again for this very reason. I had to choose rather to see the sights at 6 or go to dinner. If I missed dinner the only option was room service. This would be a real problem in Alaska.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Hawaiidan: It has been a while since we read the OP's first post so I went back to learn exactly what information they were seeking. The following (in bold) is the original post:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have yet to cruise with Oceania, but we'd like to. We've thoroughly enjoyed the small ship experiences with Renaissance and Azamara. However, reading these posts, sounds like Oceania tends to 'nickel and dime' quite a bit. I'm looking at Alaska cruises for this upcoming summer, and I see that the Pacific Princess has a great itinerary. Princess also 'nickel and dimes', but their prices are less to begin with. Just wondering how the two ships and experiences might compare. The ships are both the old 'R' vessels, so how different could these cruises be? Thoughts?

From what I can determine, posters have been responding to the request for information on both the ships as well as well as the experience. What I did learn is that they are not interested in HAL, Celebrity, large Princess ships, etc., only the 'R' vessels on Princess and Oceania.

Edited by Travelcat2

Hawaiidan: It has been a while since we read the OP's first post so I went back to learn exactly what information they were seeking. The following (in bold) is the original post:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B]

From what I can determine, posters have been responding to the request for information on both the ships as well as well as the experience. What I did learn is that they are not interested in HAL, Celebrity, large Princess ships, etc., only the 'R' vessels on Princess and Oceania.

In this case, it is not even close...Princess wins hands down as the best option with which to visit Alaska... Oceania isn't even in the game as it can not take its passengers to the heart of the real Alaska

Go princess if you don't want Holland.... They both have the golden ticket that others can not get.