Security Question RE: Sea Pass Cards

grab007

I know that at the end of a cruise your Sea Pass account is closed so that the card can no longer be used. But is there any security measure in place so the card could not be used as a room key as well?

For example, if someone was on a back-to-back and changed rooms for the second cruise, what would prevent them from using their cards from the first cruise to gain access to their first room?

The answer lies in either a)connectivity from the door lock to the security system (unlikely IMO) or b) that the algorithm embedded in the card to open the door somehow changes from cruise to cruise. OR :eek the old cards will still open the doors!

Anyone know? Bob, you ever heard anything about this?

Thanks.

I don't know for sure, but I believe there is some sort of time limit placed on the unlocking function, similar to a hotel room.

The reason I say this is because we've been on B2B cruises where the new SeaPass cards are distributed the night before changeover day to all guests staying in the same stateroom. Those guests changing staterooms got their new SeaPass cards during the changeover, and their old SeaPass cards were not collected. So it seems that they put an end time on when the unlocking function stops working, but not when it starts working.

I don't know for sure, but I believe there is some sort of time limit placed on the unlocking function, similar to a hotel room.

The reason I say this is because we've been on B2B cruises where the new SeaPass cards are distributed the night before changeover day to all guests staying in the same stateroom. Those guests changing staterooms got their new SeaPass cards during the changeover, and their old SeaPass cards were not collected. So it seems that they put an end time on when the unlocking function stops working, but not when it starts working.

Do you remember the post that explained it. It had something to do with 2 codes being stored on the card lets say A and B. A was used to unlock your room and B was put into the doors memory. When a new card was issued to has codes B and C on it. Code B would be recognized and would now be the code to open the door. Code A was erased and now code C is in memory for a future card.

Do you remember the post that explained it. It had something to do with 2 codes being stored on the card lets say A and B. A was used to unlock your room and B was put into the doors memory. When a new card was issued to has codes B and C on it. Code B would be recognized and would now be the code to open the door. Code A was erased and now code C is in memory for a future card.

I do remember the thread, but not the details. If I remember correctly, that same thread also has some discussion about how the cards are able to unlock the lounge doors too.

I do remember the thread, but not the details. If I remember correctly, that same thread also has some discussion about how the cards are able to unlock the lounge doors too.

That was the one, just can't remember enough details to do a search. I think it came up in a different topic.

Thanks!! That makes the most sense in that it wouldn't require a date/time function in the door lock.

In the interest of good forum etiquette I'll go ahead and close the thread shortly.

It would be easy enough to do on turnover day.

Since each cruise has a specific number that number could be programmed into the room steward's cards and then when they were done with each room the final card swipe would embed that specific cruise number into the lock and at the same time cancel out any pre-existing cruise number information.

No expiration dates needed, just that particular cruise ID number.

OMO

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

The mag strip / chip holds information relative to the cruise you are on, such as cabin, cruiser info, more importantly cruise start date and time, if the info does not match the coding in the cabin door lock, it will not activate. (The technology, data pieces etc, is different depending on the type of lock, and required coding)

Once you hit the end of the cruise, the door will no longer respond to your card, as it is out of date/sequence information. An old card could never open a cabin door on a subsequent cruise.

This is really simple. Just like a motel room, after check out day the key won't work. There is no need for long drawn out technical discussions on how it works, it just does:rolleyes:

This would defeat one of the reasons CC is so popular, everyone can answer the question over and over and over. :D

This would defeat one of the reasons CC is so popular, everyone can answer the question over and over and over. :D

Probably that is good for 'all' :

the Cruise Critic gets more hits - more money from the advertisers, and 'we' can still use it for free

the posters that want to participate:can give helpful answers or just post to make them happy

the OP gets an answer

if one does not like the 'question' - one can ignore the thread

nothing wrong with it ...... IMO

Edited by wieslaw

How are you going to do that???

Oooops. You're right. I thought I could. Well we should be able to clean up after ourselves, no?

Dearest and sweetest Matt,

All the OP has to do is to write to the moderators at community@cruisecritic.com and request that the thread be either closed or removed.

:)

Or you can click on the yellow tringle in red frame, in the upper right corner next to the post number in that thread, and a different window will show up, and explain what you want to do or undo. The yellow tringle will get the attention of the mod very quickly.

Edited by wieslaw

I stayed strong a hotel recently fir 2nights. I stayed one night and then left for the day to go shopping. When I returned later that evening my room card no longer worked. When I went to the front desk they informed me that they had mistakenly just programmed it for one night. They couldn't reprogram our original cards, they had to issue new ones with the new check out date.

I imagine it works just like that on a cruise ship.

Edited by readytolose