Just off Oasis....it's going to China

We are booked for the Oasis February 20, 2016 and I just checked their website and past March, there are no bookings available for the Oasis.

You can see in my countdown the booking I intend to make for Oasis in April of 2016. I was going to wait and book it on Freedom, but I might call and try to take advantage of the "sale" and book it now. If they do move Oasis they may offer some additional compensation. I'll check back after lunch.

You can see in my countdown the booking I intend to make for Oasis in April of 2016. I was going to wait and book it on Freedom, but I might call and try to take advantage of the "sale" and book it now. If they do move Oasis they may offer some additional compensation. I'll check back after lunch.

So much for that plan, the "Vowtowow" sales doesn't include 2016 bookings.

I just looked two mins. ago. I saw bookings available through Apr. 30,2016.

That is just evidence, Royal has been known to keep their options open and change things. Many people have booked way ahead and have the cruise yanked.

having been a head housekeeper in a large hotel chain in the UK, I can tell you that the staff know many years in advance what the future plans are for things going to happen. We get told in the staff in house/company magazines all the news and future plans. We knew nearly 5 yrs before the public that the company was going to be building in Dubai and India, and Singapore . So I would tend to believe the crew if they say it's going to China . Sad, as I love watching her every week on the everglades web cam. Oasis and Allure are my baby's hahaha

We are booked for the Oasis February 20, 2016 and I just checked their website and past March, there are no bookings available for the Oasis.

Actually the website still shows Caribbean bookings available through the end of April for Oasis. As the OP stated in a follow-up post, it's possible the waiter could have said May and not March. This would make more sense, though as others have pointed out, Royal could certainly cancel some of those spring 2016 cruises and move her earlier. Only time will tell.

correct ....at many captains corners...we have been told by the Captain that the largest Royal vessel to go through the new canal would be voyager class because of the bridge.

I was told the same by Voyager captain last December when I asked about a San Diego to Fort Lauderdale trip with Voyager.

Next question was so this this ship can get under the Bridge of the Americas?

Yes was the answer.

If Oasis is going to China she must be doing so in early May 2016 as there are cruises on schedule thriugh the end of April. I suppose they could cancel all of April and part of March 2016, but would they do that and yet again upset their loyal customers.

Sometimes I think they plant info with staff to start rumors, who knows,

OF COURSE they'd do it and upset their loyal customers. This is the new Royal Caribbean we see emerging :(

having been a head housekeeper in a large hotel chain in the UK, I can tell you that the staff know many years in advance what the future plans are for things going to happen. We get told in the staff in house/company magazines all the news and future plans. We knew nearly 5 yrs before the public that the company was going to be building in Dubai and India, and Singapore . So I would tend to believe the crew if they say it's going to China . Sad, as I love watching her every week on the everglades web cam. Oasis and Allure are my baby's hahaha

I guess you don't know the RCL staff. You should read the many rumors emanating from all levels of RCL's staff on this board--it's a continuing saga. LOL

I was told the same by Voyager captain last December when I asked about a San Diego to Fort Lauderdale trip with Voyager.

Next question was so this this ship can get under the Bridge of the Americas?

Yes was the answer.

How?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panamax

"190 ft (57.91 m) measured from the waterline to the vessel's highest point; limit also pertains to Balboa harbor. Exception: 205 ft (62.5 m) when passage at low water (MLWS) at Balboa is possible"

Clearance at high tide is 201 ft to the bridge deck... Voyager is 208 ft high. I'm no captain, but I was an honours student in math :eek:

Does anyone have an explanation?

Clearance at high tide is 201 ft to the bridge deck... Voyager is 208 ft high. I'm no captain, but I was an honours student in math :eek:

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/video/35/clearing-a-landmark-lowering-the-funnels-for-storebaelt-bridge/

Height of Oasis 72m

Denmark bridge 65m

Retractable funnels = 23 feet???

Does anyone know if Voyager/NoS/etc are getting retractable funnels???

If so, then this might be the answer to get under the Bridge of the Americas

I can't see the Oasis going to China, because it is a warm weather ship. We just got off of the TA which had cold weather, and the ship was not set up for cold weather. It was a mess. I have been in China in March, April and May. It gets very cold! If they intended to send it to China, something would have been done in dry dock, to accommodate cold weather conditions.

Edited by chloe kitty

I can't see the Oasis going to China, because it is a warm weather ship. We just got off of the TA which had cold weather, and the ship was not set up for cold weather. It was a mess. I have been in China in March, April and May. It gets very cold! If they intended to send it to China, something would have been done in dry dock, to accommodate cold weather conditions.

Singapore will be able to handle the other months when it is cold in China.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

How?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panamax

"190 ft (57.91 m) measured from the waterline to the vessel's highest point; limit also pertains to Balboa harbor. Exception: 205 ft (62.5 m) when passage at low water (MLWS) at Balboa is possible"

The 205' is presently an operational limit on the air draft set by policy, it is not a hard absolute fixed clearance. When a vessels air draft exceeds 190' (it could be 195'... not sure) the air draft and height of tide has to be reconfirmed before passage is permitted. When the BoA has the 201' (an absolute figure) clearance, this is at the highest of tides, the range between max high tides and max low tide is over 20'. So at the lowest of tides you can add almost 21' to the 201' absolute distance between the underside of the bridge to the water.

There has not been any discussion that we know of as to what could be altered on which ever Voyager/Freedom class ship to trim the air draft either temporarily or permanently for a Canal transit. On the other hand the Canal has always been accommodating to allow vessels that exceed policy limits for a limited amount of transits.

Edited by BillB48

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/video/35/clearing-a-landmark-lowering-the-funnels-for-storebaelt-bridge/

Height of Oasis 72m

Denmark bridge 65m

Retractable funnels = 23 feet???

Does anyone know if Voyager/NoS/etc are getting retractable funnels???

If so, then this might be the answer to get under the Bridge of the Americas

To my knowledge, Voyager and Freedom class do not have retractable funnels.

The 205' is presently an operational limit on the air draft set by policy, it is not a hard absolute fixed clearance. When a vessels air draft exceeds 190' (it could be 195'... not sure) the air draft and height of tide has to be reconfirmed before passage is permitted. When the BoA has the 201' (an absolute figure) clearance, this is at the highest of tides, the range between max high tides and max low tide is over 20'. So at the lowest of tides you can add almost 21' to the 201' absolute distance between the underside of the bridge to the water.

Interesting, so the "hard" numbers on the Panamax website are not hard at all? It says there in black and white 205' is the absolute max at the lowest tide... there's not another 20' to play with :confused:

As an aside, I've posted in other threads and in my NoS review... Capt Srecko Ban and the head administrator of the new canal were sitting at Capt's table on Vision last Nov 2013. Sapt Srecko was unsure about a Voyager Class get under the bridge and chancing it, clearances doesn't seem right. Head administrator of the new canal also agreed. On NoS I spoke quite a bit to Capt Claus Anderson, he assured me he was 100% positive Voyager can go through and I was truly confused by that. I told him about my dinner with Capt Srecko & the new canal admin, but still said Voyager would be fine. We then talked about the Radiance first sailing to Tampa and how close the clearance was when he sailed her under the bridge. I am really confused... the number just don't match up for me on paper and those who would likely know for sure have given me different opinions.

My conclusion is that the clearances would be so very tight, and even if the sailing were to go ahead the ship would have to wait for the perfect low tide situation.. and PAY for that specific slot through the locks to the Panamanian authorities to go through the locks at that specific time.

To my knowledge, Voyager and Freedom class do not have retractable funnels.

Didn't think so, not even with the most recent drydocks. Thx Bob :)