Major No-No.

luddite

Can you name a single city, town, county, village, hamlet that is crime free?

Of course, it's awful and I hope they throw the book at him but really? It isn't headline news in the whole scheme of crime these days. They have arrested him, he will be tried and punished, if found guilty. That is more than can be said for many committing a crime a minute.

Edited by sail7seas

Bayonne - that means Quantum of the Seas - 4,900 passengers plus at least 1,500 crew. Is anyone incapable of believing that a community of that size, afloat or ashore, might harbor someone with criminal intent?

Yes, it is dreadful that it happened - but there must be hundreds of comparable cases in the US every month ( if not every week) this one gets publicity because it happened on a cruise ship. Passengers ideally should not have to deadbolt their doors - but don't they do it at home?

Federal prosecutors in New Jersey say a cruise ship worker responsible for restocking guest room minibars groped a sleeping passenger then threatened to burn down the ship if she reported what happened.

Karan Seechurn was detained early Saturday upon the ship's arrival in Bayonne. He was remanded without bail following an initial court hearing on Monday afternoon.

Prosecutors say the attack occurred Dec. 23, when Seechurn used his room key to enter the woman's cabin without her knowledge. They say she awoke to find Seechurn touching her genitalia and pushed him off.

Prosecutors say the 25-year-old is from Mauritius, an island nation in the Indian Ocean.

He's charged with abusive sexual contact. The public defender's office representing him declined to comment.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/article5121861.html#storylink=cpy

Thanks for sharing. But it begs the question . . . Why did you feel compelled to report it here? Was it our right to know, our need to know or your need to make sure we knew?

Bottom line . . . People foolishly believe that NOTHING BAD will ever happen while they are on vacation and become careless.

Enjoy and lock you doors just like you would at home!

Bayonne - that means Quantum of the Seas - 4,900 passengers plus at least 1,500 crew. Is anyone incapable of believing that a community of that size, afloat or ashore, might harbor someone with criminal intent?

Yes, it is dreadful that it happened - but there must be hundreds of comparable cases in the US every month ( if not every week) this one gets publicity because it happened on a cruise ship. Passengers ideally should not have to deadbolt their doors - but don't they do it at home?

It was on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam. Your point still stands, though the deadbolt would not have worked in this case since he entered her room while she was out and hid on her balcony until she was asleep.

It was on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam. Your point still stands, though the deadbolt would not have worked in this case since he entered her room while she was out and hid on her balcony until she was asleep.

No...HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam doesn't dock in Bayonne, NJ. It was the Quantum of the Seas as the poster said.

Was he a room steward? I know they do not keep the master keys to all their cabins. They are given them each morning and I believe turn them in after morning duties are over then are given them again for night time duties. Security is the only people who can unlock the deadbolt.

Never seen a thread continue on without the original post. Here is a link to another article about the cruise ship worker who "engaged in abusive sexual contact with a sleeping woman": http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2014/12/29/us/ap-us-travel-brief-cruise-ship-sexual-contact.html

It surprises me that the articles I have seen do not name the cruise ship or the cruise line.

Thanks for sharing. But it begs the question . . . Why did you feel compelled to report it here? Was it our right to know, our need to know or your need to make sure we knew?

The OP posted this for probably the same reason why many other things get posted on CC like someone falls ill on a ship, or a ship is an hour late leaving port, or there was no escargot, or who the CD is on a ship. On CC Enquiring minds what to know! And IMHO posting about a sexual assault by a crew member is a much more relevant and important posting than many others that get posted around here.

OP probably posted to make newbies aware that crime DOES happen on a ship and to be cognizant of your surroundings…

I work in the hospitality business - one of the things I've learned is this: people will pack everything but the kitchen sink for their vacation, but always forget to bring their common sense…

It's a busy week for my hotel - stupid things done by guests happen hourly. Guests forget/lose their keycard, but then get angry at the Front Desk agent because we require an ID for a duplicate (or if we can ask questions based on folio information and get correct answers). Last night, I had a small child call from his room; his parents left him alone while they went to the bar to get drunk. He called to ask if anyone could help him get the bottle of ketchup open so he could put some on his sandwich!!!! Had a guest call - he couldn't find his black AMEX, thought he might have left it in the car service car, or the bar, or the ski resort, could I return it to him so he could go out to dinner. Had a guest drop her car at the valet stand, grab her massive handbag and walk away, LEAVING HER BABY in the car!!!

Folks - anywhere you travel, you are still in the real world. Act accordingly, and be aware!!!

... Last night, I had a small child call from his room; his parents left him alone while they went to the bar to get drunk. He called to ask if anyone could help him get the bottle of ketchup open so he could put some on his sandwich!!!!

And what is so wrong about wanting ketchup on a sandwich?:( Some of us do not like grey poupon.

;);)

Edited by DirtyDawg

Trust me, these people that do these stupid things on cruise ships or hotels are NOT members of MENSA at home who just let their guard down on vacation.

As an EMT and 9-1-1 dispatcher for going on 31 years , I can tell you these people do the exact same stupid things at home , every day of the week.

And what is so wrong about wanting ketchup on a sandwich?:( Some of us do not like grey poupon.

;);)

Yea, but come on, really ....what kind of parents go out to a bar and leave a child alone WITHOUT opening the ketchup bottle.

The OP posted this for probably the same reason why many other things get posted on CC like someone falls ill on a ship, or a ship is an hour late leaving port, or there was no escargot, or who the CD is on a ship. On CC Enquiring minds what to know! And IMHO posting about a sexual assault by a crew member is a much more relevant and important posting than many others that get posted around here.

OP probably posted to make newbies aware that crime DOES happen on a ship and to be cognizant of your surroundings…

I work in the hospitality business - one of the things I've learned is this: people will pack everything but the kitchen sink for their vacation, but always forget to bring their common sense…

It's a busy week for my hotel - stupid things done by guests happen hourly. Guests forget/lose their keycard, but then get angry at the Front Desk agent because we require an ID for a duplicate (or if we can ask questions based on folio information and get correct answers). Last night, I had a small child call from his room; his parents left him alone while they went to the bar to get drunk. He called to ask if anyone could help him get the bottle of ketchup open so he could put some on his sandwich!!!! Had a guest call - he couldn't find his black AMEX, thought he might have left it in the car service car, or the bar, or the ski resort, could I return it to him so he could go out to dinner. Had a guest drop her car at the valet stand, grab her massive handbag and walk away, LEAVING HER BABY in the car!!!

Folks - anywhere you travel, you are still in the real world. Act accordingly, and be aware!!!

The OP acted in a manner that is symptomatic of all that is wrong in todays media. Just report a story because it may create a more sensational story. The OP dumped raw information and didn't offer a tie to passenger behavior aboard ship.

Yes, bad things can happen to good people anywhere in the world. And way too many good people do absolutely stupid things while on vacation just because invulnerable while on vacation.

The OP's posting would have had informational value if he/she would have actually used the incident to point out that individuals must ensure their own safety just as they would at home.

The OP acted in a manner that is symptomatic of all that is wrong in todays media. Just report a story because it may create a more sensational story. The OP dumped raw information and didn't offer a tie to passenger behavior aboard ship.

Yes, bad things can happen to good people anywhere in the world. And way too many good people do absolutely stupid things while on vacation just because invulnerable while on vacation.

The OP's posting would have had informational value if he/she would have actually used the incident to point out that individuals must ensure their own safety just as they would at home.

I would hope one could draw one's own conclusions. Or are we so feeble-minded that someone must tell us what to think. :confused:

No...HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam doesn't dock in Bayonne, NJ. It was the Quantum of the Seas as the poster said.

I didn't see the original post. I thought the thread was about a different case that is currently being discussed over on the HAL board that occurred on the Nieuw Amsterdam. The rapist admitted guilt and is coming up for sentencing in a few days.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/cruise-worker-raped-throw-woman-overboard-fbi-article-1.1619217

Trust me, these people that do these stupid things on cruise ships or hotels are NOT members of MENSA at home who just let their guard down on vacation.

As an EMT and 9-1-1 dispatcher for going on 31 years , I can tell you these people do the exact same stupid things at home , every day of the week.

A high IQ does not prevent people from doing stupid things at home or on vacation. My BIL is a perfect example of this. Genius level IQ who has trouble tying his own shoes!:eek: He could get a spacecraft to Mars but couldn't navigate his way to the local 7-11.:confused: