Excursions - weight restrictions

rocker57

Just looking at some excursions, and some have weight restrictions, such as zip lines, zodiac boats etc. How do they know, do they weigh you, or do they just take your word that you are under the limit? I can understand why there are limits, but just want to know how. Thanks!

Just looking at some excursions, and some have weight restrictions, such as zip lines, zodiac boats etc. How do they know, do they weigh you, or do they just take your word that you are under the limit? I can understand why there are limits, but just want to know how. Thanks!

I think it depends on the excursion. For example, you'll most likely be weighed for a helicopter excursion. They have strict rules.

You may not be for a kayak excursion, but if the kayak doesn't float, that may be a sign that you either gained weight on the cruise or may have not known your weight (scales can be off). ;)

I wouldn't want to test a zip line if there is a weight restriction and I was over the weight limit. :eek:

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

For helicopter flights and horseback rides, you will very likely be weighed. If no scale is available they have the right to refuse you based on appearance.

I am pretty sure I have seen scales at some zipline providers when I was doing other types of excursions at the same location.

I don't know about zodiac boats, but for semi-sub/glass bottom boats I have never seen anyone who might appear to be close to the restriction weighed or questioned.

And in Bermuda I asked at the tour desk if they enforce the listed weight restriction for the horse-drawn carriage ride; the response was that it is only there as a warning for anyone who may be too "large" to climb in and out of the buggy.

Any time I've been on a helicopter excursion, I've been weighed. For zip lining and most other things, I've been weighed if it's been in the States or Canada - never in the Caribbean or South America. We have signed up to go snorkeling on our next cruise, and they say there's a weigh limit. I imagine that's because of fitting into a wet suit - we'll see.

One helicopter ride in 1990; weighed. One zipline in Costa Rica in 1996; weighed. I knew why they did it for the heli because they wanted to distribute weight evenly. But zipline? It wasn't my weight that could have concerned them. :confused:

I've zip lined several times and have always seen scales in use. My brother in law who is very tall and muscular was asked to get on the scale with all his gear on just to verify he wasn't over the limit. I appreciate them making sure safety is #1!

Edited by Paula_MacFan
clarity

Yes...if there is a weight limit, there is a reason.and they will weigh you, if they think it's unsafe for you or their equipment. Some things, like helicopter rides are VERY strict.,,and they assign the seats based on your weight.... small boats, zip lines.....it's a safety issue!

Edited by cb at sea

It had to be like 2002, but we did a horse riding trip. I was about 200 lbs and they weighed me. The limit was 250 lbs. My sister, who was about 95 lbs, also go weighed!. So for this particular excursion they weighed everyone!

When we did the Alaska helicopter tour, they weighed us as well, I was about 225 lbs then, no problem.

Now, I would not get near the scale! Any limit, I waddle the other way!!!:eek:

it had to be like 2002, but we did a horse riding trip. I was about 200 lbs and they weighed me. The limit was 250 lbs. My sister, who was about 95 lbs, also go weighed!. So for this particular excursion they weighed everyone!

Probably just not to have people say it was discriminatory.

when we did the alaska helicopter tour, they weighed us as well, i was about 225 lbs then, no problem.

They have to balance the load.

now, i would not get near the scale! Any limit, i waddle the other way!!!:eek:

:d:d

Edited by Lovetocruiseprincess

One reason that everyone is weighed before horseback riding is to ensure the horse is able to carry the weight of the rider. People who weigh less are put on smaller horses, and those who weigh more are put on bigger horses.

I was on a zip line tour in PV, where one had to ride a mule, up a hill, to get to the start of the zip line. I thought that one extremely large woman was going to break her mule's back. The poor animal was staggering and could barely make it up the hill. The tour operators should never have subjected the mule to this torture. It literally made me sick to my stomach.

Edited by partybarbie

This past season, the weight limit for helicopters in Alaska was 250lbs....Fully dressed with their boots and safety vest. Over 250lbs two ticket fees were required. I typically weigh in at 220 to 225 (depending on the cruise:eek:) and when fully "attired", on their scales, came in at 246. They even weigh little ole ladies as it is about weight distribution as much as max loading. So far, have never been weighed for a zipline, including Mexico, St. Martin, and Costa Rica. Not saying it doesn't happen, I have just been lucky so far. :D

We were on the CB last week. I signed up for one snorkeling excursion because the other one had a 225-pound weight limit that DH doesn't quite meet. I was planning on asking about how strict the limit was and switching if allowed to do so, but we ended up canceling the first excursion since DH was not feeling well.

We did a flying excursion once and they weighed everyone, including a child that was probably 65#.

Once on a kayak excursion they had a posted weight of 250# but didn't weigh anyone. One guy there was clearly 50-75 pounds over but didn't say anything. He hardly fit in the kayak and it took on a little water. :( We all felt really bad for him and prayed that he didn't sink. He was obviously embarrassed and even a bit scared. We wondered why he didn't back out.

Weight (as well as age and height) limits are there for a reason. It's for your own safety that you follow them even if the tour operator doesn't check.

ziplines have weight limits because of the capability of the brakes and the fact that the heavier the body, the faster it will go, making it more difficult for the brakes to function properly. Also, some obese people will not have the physical strength to pull the brake line long and hard enough to stop. Some zipline mechanism have self-stopping brakes and do not function after a certain load factor is exceeded. I learned this after working a few summers at an attraction where we had zip lines.

Some snorkel excursions will have a weight limit due to safety factors. If an obese person has distress in the water, the crew needs to be able to safely get the person back on board without putting the obese person AND any crew in danger.

No one is trying to embarrass or humiliate anyone - it is all about safety.

As has been said, it depends on the event and operator.

Please, please DO NOT LIE ABOUT YOUR WEIGHT. If you don't want to be weighed and you think you're near the limit (or you're embarrassed by your weight and are afraid to be weighed), then do yourself and everyone a favour and skip that excursion event. It's about safety, and someone's pride or shame should not be a factor when people's safety is at stake. They're not kidding about the importance of knowing people's weight, and no one is overestating the safety issues involved.

Zodiac boats in what can be choppy waters (e.g., NaPali Coast on Kauai) would be a very unpleasant experience for an obese person. Boats in general challenge footing, maneuvering, climbing, etc. and obese people are already at a disadvantage. Even life jackets may require an extension strap (check the one in your cabin as well).

Not only helicopters but float and other small planes are extremely weight and size sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For me now it's not the weight that I have to worry about. Some excursions now have age restrictions. I'm not ready to sit in rocker just yet. :)

This is the restriction that burns me. Weight, height even too young I can see but too old????? How can someone justify this? I know, I know....insurance!!!! Seems so unfair to me.

I know the Zip line in Haiti they put me on the scale. the only sad thing was I gained 6lbs in a few days lol. I am a bigger guy so I guess its better to be safe then sorry. I would never lie about my weight I dont want to end up dead or hurting someone else in that process.