Bed arrangement together or apart?

DW and I seem to prefer them apart. What do you think? I know its subjective and boils down to personal preference. Just curious what others think.

Having them apart:

- Seems to make the stateroom (in an inside cabin anyways) a little bigger.

- I like to get up a lot earlier than DW and head out for a run. When they are separate I tend not to disturb her as much.

- Easier to access some of the items we store under the beds

Been married 28 years, and I don't disturb my wife when I get up. She's used to having me sleep beside her, and me getting up doesn't disturb her.

As far as your question on more room in the cabin - Well, technically, it's the same amount of space since 2 beds make up the one larger bed - but it's all about usable space. We've been in our cabins when the beds were apart (were put together for the evening on day one), and the cabin seems roomier when they are together - not apart. My experience is the opposite of yours.

But, I have to ask the obvious... There is a lot more room for activities in the larger bed. Sure, you can make use of a twin sized bed, but that would cramp my style. Doesn't that adversely affect the romantic encounters? Or is pretending you are back in college dorms part of the thrill? :cool:

Been married 28 years, and I don't disturb my wife when I get up. She's used to having me sleep beside her, and me getting up doesn't disturb her.

As far as your question on more room in the cabin - Well, technically, it's the same amount of space since 2 beds make up the one larger bed - but it's all about usable space. We've been in our cabins when the beds were apart (were put together for the evening on day one), and the cabin seems roomier when they are together - not apart. My experience is the opposite of yours.

But, I have to ask the obvious... There is a lot more room for activities in the larger bed. Sure, you can make use of a twin sized bed, but that would cramp my style. Doesn't that adversely affect the romantic encounters? Or is pretending you are back in college dorms part of the thrill? :cool:

Been married almost 20 years.... its going to take more than separate beds to cramp my style. I have some trademark moves in my repertoire! :eek: Nothing wrong with switching things up for 1 week out of the year. But you must be warned, it can be dangerous if you are not in shape!!;)

apart for us (married 35yrs) I'm on vacation then, and share the bed the rest of the year. DH has PAD and his constant kicking and movements keep me up most of the night unless I'm well asleep be fore he retires, which isn't that often.

The best sleep I get is on the ship when beds apart.:p

All of those who say they sleep apart - do you also sleep apart at home? I know several friends/family who sleep in different bedrooms for various reasons. I would expect those couples to have their beds apart on a cruise too.

But, I'm surprised by anyone who has a common bed at home, who wants beds apart on a cruise.

But, hey.. different strokes for different folks!

On the only cruise we took in an inside cabin, we had the beds separated. The cabin was amazingly small (Sovereign) & when they were together, it was against the wall. I had to climb over DH or crawl up/down from the bottom of the bed!

We haven't been in an inside cabin since & the beds are always together....

If inside cabin apart, makes it a lot easier to get in bed. We've both hit our shins on that frame trying to scoot past on the wall side...no good.:mad:

Balcony, together. Plenty of room in those. Out of 19 cruises, 5 have been inside....:D 20 yrs!

On the only cruise we took in an inside cabin, we had the beds separated. The cabin was amazingly small (Sovereign) & when they were together, it was against the wall. I had to climb over DH or crawl up/down from the bottom of the bed!

We haven't been in an inside cabin since & the beds are always together....

see how much fun that really was?

We have a king size bed at home so I may be wrong.

There are two beds in the cabin with two independent mattresses so I don't see how separating them or putting them a foot apart would make a significant difference in disturbing the other occupant.

All of those who say they sleep apart - do you also sleep apart at home? I know several friends/family who sleep in different bedrooms for various reasons. I would expect those couples to have their beds apart on a cruise too.

But, I'm surprised by anyone who has a common bed at home, who wants beds apart on a cruise.

But, hey.. different strokes for different folks!

We've been happily married for 31 years and sleep together at home in a queen, but if we were cruising in an inside, we'd probably have the beds separate. It just seems like more usable space that way. It wouldn't be a big deal to either of us.

When cruising with my friend, we ask to have the beds separated. (Even though it's listed as such in our reservation, we find that the room stewards are directed to put the beds together by default and only separate them upon a request from the guests.)

When cruising with my husband, we have the beds together. I've never actually considered doing it otherwise.

Been married for almost 20yrs...we have a king bed at home and wish it was available everywhere we travel. We're keeping our beds together, although I may not sleep as well. We have only been in the Disney Dream and Fantasy cruises and the beds don't separate and I find them small (and we're neither big nor tall).

If we do separate the beds, I'm afraid my husband would fall off since he seems to like sleeping diagonally...lol

So, we'd keep it together. Hopefully, it's still comfortable...I would hope that 2 beds together would be closer to a king size...or is that just wishful thinking????

Edited by dvcdisney

We have kept the bed together on our cruises. Married 30 years (happily) and at home sleep with 2 twins beds slightly apart so I can get some sleep! I'm usually a light sleeper and feel my DH twitching and jumping all night. For some reason on a cruise I don't feel the movement near as much or I'm just exhausted! It feels more like a king size bed to me or I'd be separating them for sure!

We have kept the bed together on our cruises. Married 30 years (happily) and at home sleep with 2 twins beds slightly apart so I can get some sleep! I'm usually a light sleeper and feel my DH twitching and jumping all night. For some reason on a cruise I don't feel the movement near as much or I'm just exhausted! It feels more like a king size bed to me or I'd be separating them for sure!

This is off topic but you might want to try a Tempur-Pedic mattress. My DH is very fidgety & once we got the Tempur-Pedic, it's like he's not even there. I can't even feel him getting out of bed when I'm awake & watching him..........