Why are cruise pictures so expensive?

MikeACY

I just came off Vision of the Seas. This question doesn't just apply to RCCL, but all cruise lines..I just happened to post it here.

For an 8 x 10, RCCL wanted $16.99. Larger photos were $22.99. So as my wife and I look at the 6 photos we had in our hand, we did some math and saw it would cost over $100! Therefore we decided to purchase only two for $34. Now if the cruise line sold them for...say $8 a photo, we would have purchased them all for a total cost of $48. Because of there excessive pricing, they lost $14 in revenue. What did they do with the photos we didn't purchase?? Well as we all know they just throw them away with the others that the passengers didn't purchase.

I know what some on this board will say....

1) I don't have to purchase them

2) This charge is in line with what other "professional" photographers charge.

3) If I only purchased the two for $8, then the cruise line would have lost money.

Talking among other passengers and seeing all those pictures that people haven't purchased just thrown away proves that they are overpriced. They have to adopt what the cruise line business model is....selling a room at any price is better then having a room empty. Therefore selling these photos at a more reasonable price is better then not selling them at all.

Edited by MikeACY

I agree with your post. I bet they make a ton of money no matter what pictures they sell. DW and I try to limit our photo budget on the cruise. alot of times we just ask a random person to take a picture for us. I know I usually take pictures for people each cruise ive been on.

Seems like the only ones we buy is the welcome aboard and one at each port of call we go too

The best answer I can think of, is because they can. If they weren't making profit, they would adjust their pricing structure accordingly.

With that said, I agree with you, it seems expensive/wasteful - although I am sure they recycle - and probably make money on that too - selling the paper to a recycling company that is.

We are getting ready to go on our third cruise and it will be the third time we have purchased one of the "All-inclusive" photo packages. By the time you get boarding pictures, port pictures, a couple formal pictures, etc... you already exceed the cost of the package - so they have you trapped! We got over 100 pictures on our first cruise (4-night) and almost 200 on our last cruise (6-night).

Dan.

Edited by Dan-P

My understanding is that the photography is not directly from RCI, but is a service provider contracting with RCI (like the spa employees). Like the spa, the "art" sales, etc., they can and will set whatever price they can because there will always be some who will pay it, and they likely have to kick some of it back to RCI.

We bought two photos on our last cruise--first time ever, in eight cruises, and only because we had a C&A discount. We wanted formal portraits and the ones they took happened to look nicer than any others we've had taken on a cruise recently. Although it was pricy, it was still cheaper than having a professional photographer do it in a studio back home, and it will be a nice memory of the cruise.

I think we probably would buy more photos if they were cheaper. Even the amusement parks in our area charge less for an 8x10 than they do on board!

Just off of the Navigator and they wanted $22.99 for an 8x10 portrait. We did two backdrops and only one picture was really worth purchasing but we chose not to. Had it been in the $10-15 range we would have bought at least one.

We skip the port and boarding photos.

if you take into account that for every photo they sell, they probably trash 50 or more, they're operating at a relatively high fixed cost that they have to cover; the cruise line takes a cut of the register receipts; and they have to make a profit. I'm sure they have years of statistics about the sell thru ratio for each ship in the fleet, and which photo ops generate the best sell thru rates.

Well, they are in the business to make money. They pay photographers and supplies. They are in the business to make money. As you said, they are optional. They are in the business to make money. Most people take their own pictures. They are in the business to make money. They are actually cheaper then professional photographers. They are in the business to make money.

Sometimes we buy them sometimes we don't. But bottom line, the cruise line exists to make money. It's a business. As much as I would love to cruise for free or for "cost," I know that we wouldn't do it long. So the cabin prices are very low in comparison to 20 years ago. They make money on other things like photos. It is great. If you want the service you pay for it. If you don't, you don't. Much better than it being "priced into the ticket." Oh, for argument sake, my Daughter in Law is a professional photographer. Trust me, you'll pay a whole lot more than $20 for an 8x10 photo professionally done.

Just my opinion.

I realize that they are in business to make money, but all of the photos that people decline to purchase get thrown away. I bet its more than 50%. If they were to price the pictures more reasonably, there would be less waste. And I think in the long run, they would make more total profit. The first time cruisers frequently purchase them because they want to preserve those memories. My wife and I did the same thing our first time,,,but we are taking our 11th cruise with RC this month and our very first cruise was the only time we sprung for the pictures, mainly because we feel, and still feel, that they are way too expensive.

You probably don't want to know how much we pay for professional photos of our family and children from a real professional photographer, and not one of those mass market portrait studios (10 clicks of the camera in a sitting, and hope you get something good) or even school pictures (2 clicks and hope for something good).

Really, the prices aren't that bad on cruise ships in comparison. But we're picky. The photos would have to be perfect for us to consider purchasing them. Usually, they aren't. We've bought maybe 3 pictures in 7 cruises.

I think the pricing is a result of two things:

1. They are using an outdated pricing model that doesn't factor in the lower costs of modern digital printing.

2. No one has spent serious time and effort trying to maximize revenue in this area. (or they are satisfied with the current profit levels)

Of course they want to make a profit and with the prices you describe I am sure they are making money. Maybe they are even making a hefty little profit which is why no one has seriously looked into maximizing profit through better pricing and more volume.

I agree though that they are leaving money on the table. It is reasonably easy to see how they could cut waste, sell more, and actually have more profit in the end.

To call the entire operation "professional" might be a bit of a stretch. If the photographer has the time to pose the subject(s) with proper lighting and an interesting backdrop, then the results will likely be worth the cost.

However, the "snapshots" taken at the dining table or when disembarking at a port of call (with costumed crew members and props) are often hit and miss. Also, some of the employees seem to enjoy the new digital technology just a little too much, with logos, images and ship photos "artistically" superimposed on the photographs to such an extent that the client appears as a secondary consideration.

I would be wiling to overlook some of the quality issues if the price were reasonable; however, it seems a rather poor value to pay top dollar for a photo with subjects that may be out of focus or poorly centered.

As for waste, would it not be simpler to provide a couple of good quality monitors to allow passengers to view the image before placing an order for the print(s)?

However, the "snapshots" taken at the dining table or when disembarking at a port of call (with costumed crew members and props) are often hit and miss. Also, some of the employees seem to enjoy the new digital technology just a little too much, with logos, images and ship photos "artistically" superimposed on the photographs to such an extent that the client appears as a secondary consideration.

You can actually ask for reprints with the extra logos removed, or have them change the logos to something you'd prefer.

As for waste, would it not be simpler to provide a couple of good quality monitors to allow passengers to view the image before placing an order for the print(s)?

I was in the museum retail business and part of what we did wa hire these 3rd party companies for service. A big part of their business model is impulse buying, so putting the picture out on the shelf for people to grab returns a far higher sell thru on a per-cap basis then having people look at TV monitors and try to find themselves. On celebrity anyway, you CAN actually insert a seapass card into a terminal and find your photos (they use facial recognition software to find your photos actually, even if you don't present a sea pass card when the photo is taken). The digital printing costs them pennies per sheet.

As others say prices are where they are due to all the costs involved and having to pay X a percent of the sales. They have staff costs, equipment, X royalties, and pay for travel and living costs of staff, and pay or the cabins thee staff occupy.

And they won't discount photos as people will learn to wait till the last day for the half off sale, so they keep prices steady and constant, occasionally with some percent off deal or some package deal (but 2 get 3rd free), but rarely if ever a big discount on a single purchase.

We just came off the Brilliance this weekend and purchased the all inclusive photo package. What an amazing deal! We came away with 130 8x10 photos for $200. I sure wish the other cruise lines would go with this. We usually spend six to seven hundred dollars on the cruise for photos. I was so thrilled when I heard about the all inclusve package on RCCL.

For an 8 x 10, RCCL wanted $16.99...

I think you meant a 5x7 because an 8x10 at that price would be a bargain! :D And to echo the others, it's because the customer will pay it. Cruises are usually very special vacations and as such, many people want a reminder of it. Besides... I would think the formal portraits are a big seller because you normally don't have your picture taken and available for purchase at a fancy restaurant or at an event where you are all dressed up.:)

I totally agree with the waste issue. I also take issue with the fact that - if they sample my photo as an 8 x 10, and I want a smaller size, I have to order the 8 x 10 first.

That said, I'm currently searching for a photographer for my daughter's wedding and I can tell you that they are not cheap anywhere - not on land or at sea!

That said, I'm currently searching for a photographer for my daughter's wedding and I can tell you that they are not cheap anywhere - not on land or at sea!

True enough. But it's a little like comparing apples and oranges.

A wedding photographer often spends many hours following the wedding party from home to church to reception, and then has to process and touch up the photos.

A ship's photographer already has a captive audience....

Does the all-inclusive package include pictures with people from other cabins?

The above link says group photos aren't included, but this has not been my experience.

We have had the all inclusive package and been able to get any picture we are in. We have done this with group pictures of those we are traveling with, when we have the package and they don't.

I've also "photobombed" pictures my friends without the package have been having taken, and was able to get those too! :D

Dan.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Forums mobile app.

Edited by Dan-P

True enough. But it's a little like comparing apples and oranges.

A wedding photographer often spends many hours following the wedding party from home to church to reception, and then has to process and touch up the photos.

A ship's photographer already has a captive audience....

Disney follows a similar price structure. Their current prices are $14.95 for one 5x7 or $18.95 for one 8x10.

Best option is to get a tripod with a camera with a self timer. My pictures are typically way better. And I don't have to pay a fortune to buy them.

The above link says group photos aren't included, but this has not been my experience.

We have had the all inclusive package and been able to get any picture we are in. We have done this with group pictures of those we are traveling with, when we have the package and they don't.

I've also "photobombed" pictures my friends without the package have been having taken, and was able to get those too! :D

Dan.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Forums mobile app.

I appreciated the link but still did not understand completely until now. Let me make sure that I have all of this straight ....

1. We will buy the all-inclusive package and get every picture we are in, even if other people are in it with us. There are 12 of us all together, so that would even include a group shot. We can then print copies at home for everyone else.

2. People in other cabins would have to pay for any pictures that they want if we are not in the picture. I'm thinking they might want photo books as keepsakes.

Thanks for the help

I was in the museum retail business and part of what we did wa hire these 3rd party companies for service. A big part of their business model is impulse buying, so putting the picture out on the shelf for people to grab returns a far higher sell thru on a per-cap basis then having people look at TV monitors and try to find themselves.

I'm currently searching for a photographer for my daughter's wedding and I can tell you that they are not cheap anywhere - not on land or at sea!

Those of you in this thread trying to make an intellectual argument against the pricing policy or for the pricing policy are looking at the concept from the wrong side. The purchase of photos is not an intellectual event by the cruiser, it is totally emotional and impulsive. Just like the person looking for a wedding photographer, they will pay the premium fees charged, because they are emotionally invested in the need to have 'top notch and creative photography that is better than what their friends have had'.

My wedding was 40 years ago...and we are still married, and have looked at those photos probably less than 10 times after our first anniversary.

From the cruiseline photographers' POV they believe that there will be enough cruisers emotionally attached to the concept of needing to have a memory or two or three of some 'magnificent moment or two or three' from the cruise....and they will pay what it costs to have that magic photo. It may not be sensible and for some, maybe next year (or week) they won't be dating that person anymore (LOL).

When you look at it from a more intellectual POV, have another cruiser take your picture with your own camera and say "DONE". It will be a great memory maker.