Deployment Schedule 2016-2017. Let the guessing begin

Cruzin-K

Might they also have a commitment or contractual obligation with Baltimore

RCI broke its contract with the Port of Los Angeles when they left in 2011.

I really, really wish a Quantum class ship would be home ported in Florida. Took Quantum to China from NJ and fell in love with it. Not too keen on sailing out of NJ again, especially in winter. And, yes, I am tired of the Oasis class ports. They are just too limiting. Not sure why they think they need three of those in Florida. Love the ship but interested in different ports.

I won't fly again to NJ for any ship -- the airport is user unfriendly, the weather is less than desirable a good part of the year, and it's too far from the West Coast. And I still remember getting ready to book Anthem out of Ft. Lauderdale and the last-minute redeployment.:eek:

Edited by travelgoddess1

RCI broke its contract with the Port of Los Angeles when they left in 2011.

I won't fly again to NJ for any ship -- the airport is user unfriendly, the weather is less than desirable a good part of the year, and it's too far from the West Coast. And I still remember getting ready to book Anthem out of Ft. Lauderdale and the last-minute redeployment.:eek:

Living in S. Florida we have lots of choices to cruise without flying to pick up a ship. But sometimes we still have to do it. We did it when to meet Jewel in San Juan for our S. Caribbean itinerary; we are looking at a New England/Canada itinerary that departs from Baltimore.

You can have problems no matter what port your ship sails from, as you seem to have had even cruising from FLL.

Since Royal has few itineraries that sail from California, you therefore utilize other cruise lines more often.

I am also hoping for Quantum 4 to be based out of Miami and not Port Everglades in 2019-20. I really think that Quantum taking the 5 night/ 9 night southern itineraries to be established by Navigator.

Nice thought here Madflyer... 9 nighters to the ABC's for example, or Barbados/Dominica/Martinique as well where Oasis cannot go. I wanted to ask what was the reaction when Mariner was built??? Maybe "who cares" was the reaction compared to when Voyager was built? What was reaction when Freedom was built compared to Indy a couple of years later? I really feel Oasis IV will not have the impact at all that I think RCL needs in Florida compared to finally bringing in a Q Class ship, and especially the newest one with Music Hall and everything still intact (not Asianized). I personally was very close to booking the 2016 New years cruise on CCL's Vista at approx 50% the cost of any RCL New Year's sailing until those Harmony prices came out... and how about the totally stunning new MSC mega liner Seaside Class coming to Florida? How about the buzz around Virgin? What other new builds will be competing?

I am also a fan of any future San Francisco Quantum class deployment.

Y E S !!!!!! :D

(Alaska summer deployment out of Seattle... only in my dreams :rolleyes:)

Edited by Hoopster95

There are rumors out there that RCI may take Quantum Class to a 6 ship class before they move on.

To me, Oasis and Quantum then become the standard ships and while not having the same 'Wow' factor' they will meet the expectations of the 'new' cruise market while satisfying the more traditional tastes of repeat passengers.

MSC is basically taking the best of Oasis and Quantum Class with their new builds and upgrading them a bit.

If you look at the MSC-Meraviglia, she will have two promenades, one with led ceiling light shows, a two-story aft lounge with high tech shows and a two story 'sports-plex'.

Seaside not only takes on RCI, but really targets NCL and their use of outdoor deck space.

MSC is really going to be stressing their 'state of the art' separate cruise terminal at Miami and I think RCI could be well served to update their terminal at port of Miami for 2019.

Rumor is also out there that one of the new Costa mega-ships will be home-ported at least seasonally in south Florida.

It will be interesting to see the Virgin impact in 2020, but RCI could get Quantum class in Miami prior to that in 2019.

Edited by MADflyer

Living in S. Florida we have lots of choices to cruise without flying to pick up a ship. But sometimes we still have to do it. We did it when to meet Jewel in San Juan for our S. Caribbean itinerary; we are looking at a New England/Canada itinerary that departs from Baltimore.

You can have problems no matter what port your ship sails from, as you seem to have had even cruising from FLL.

Since Royal has few itineraries that sail from California, you therefore utilize other cruise lines more often.

Hmmm, not sure how you made a couple of above conclusions about my cruising habits. I have had no problem sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale. Not being able to book a cruise because of a last-minute redeployment is not a problem!

And why do you assume I cruise other lines?

Edited by travelgoddess1

Royal claim more Asia will go on sale this month on the official Oz Facebook page.

Sydney Ports still show 2 Royal bookings for 18 and 19 March 2016 that does not match current deployment.

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully Royal can come up with better itineraries this time. The current offering is pretty poor and we are cruising on Princess in Asia as a result. Could be worse [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am also hoping for Quantum 4 to be based out of Miami and not Port Everglades in 2019-20. I really think that Quantum taking the 5 night/ 9 night southern itineraries to be established by Navigator.

I am also a fan of any future San Francisco Quantum class deployment.

I am a dissenter from the popular opinion and feel that RCI will return to having a 2 Oasis class ship presence at Port Everglades. As the infrastructure around the port and airport is completed this port operation will be unbeatable.

I think that with all the shipyards of Europe being fully booked for new builds through 2022 and with Mitsubishi leaving the industry that future Chinese Oasis class ships will be actually be Chinese builds.

I think that as RCI add waterslides and tunnel slides to the various Freedom and Oasis class ships that they will become interchangeable between PE/PC/Galveston/San Juan in many various combinations.

While RCI already own or partially own operation in Coco Cay, Labadee and Falmouth, they are making huge investments at Curacao, St. Maarten and Barbados and Cozumel.

Maybe in order to show off the "latest and greatest" against all the other cruise line's new ships, finally Quantum Class could be home ported in Florida instead, the only class never to be home ported thus far in Florida with many Floridans and avid RCL'ers here on this board saying they refuse to fly up to Jersey to get on a ship. There's so many local Floridans that have sailed on the Oasis Class ships for years, Harmony and Oasis IV really won't make that much difference... nor will going to Falmouth/Cozumel for the 5 millionth time, whereas the new Quantum IV could hit some other ports that Oasis can't perhaps. Thoughts?

I agree with both of you on this one the more that I think about it.

Madflyer, I love the idea of a Q Class taking those 9/5 night itineraries, I'd book the 9 nighter in a minute. I agree with the Miami deployment.

Hoopster, you have a good point with the "latest and greatest". I had originally thought Q4 could go to PE to do the 6/8 night itineraries, but with so many new ships getting pumped into Miami, I actually think that would be the perfect place.

I agree with both of you on this one the more that I think about it.

Madflyer, I love the idea of a Q Class taking those 9/5 night itineraries, I'd book the 9 nighter in a minute. I agree with the Miami deployment.

Hoopster, you have a good point with the "latest and greatest". I had originally thought Q4 could go to PE to do the 6/8 night itineraries, but with so many new ships getting pumped into Miami, I actually think that would be the perfect place.

PE and Miami seem kind of interchangeable to me. Why the need to be in both

I think that as RCI add waterslides and tunnel slides to the various Freedom and Oasis class ships that they will become interchangeable between PE/PC/Galveston/San Juan in many various combinations.

I would love to see an Oasis class ship in Galveston! :D

Are these itineraries on offs or does RC do them often? I would love to do these two weeks as a b2b on Allure in 2017:

• June 5, 2016: Ft Lauderdale/Phillipsburg/San Juan/Labadee
  • June 12, 2016:Ft. Lauderdale/Nassau/Charlotte Amalie/Basseterre

I would love to see an Oasis class ship in Galveston! :D

Are these itineraries on offs or does RC do them often? I would love to do these two weeks as a b2b on Allure in 2017:

• June 5, 2016: Ft Lauderdale/Phillipsburg/San Juan/Labadee
  • June 12, 2016:Ft. Lauderdale/Nassau/Charlotte Amalie/Basseterre

I think those itineraries run throughout the summer of 2016, so there's a chance that the Allure could be doing them again in 2017.

I guess so, but I just think a presence in Miami, with at least one new ship (presumably Q4) would be good to keep up with the competition, who's new ships are only in Miami.

Possibly, but adding additional ships in Miami for Royal would most likely require increasing the infrastructure to accommodate them. Seems to me that the terminal space available is a big factor in that equation

Edited by John&LaLa

I guess so, but I just think a presence in Miami, with at least one new ship (presumably Q4) would be good to keep up with the competition, who's new ships are only in Miami.

I thought Quantum class couldn't go to Miami as the port isn't deep enough? I also though there was some reason why Quantum class couldn't go to Fort Lauderdale either. I believe this was mentioned in the 2015/16 deployment thread.

I thought Quantum class couldn't go to Miami as the port isn't deep enough? I also though there was some reason why Quantum class couldn't go to Fort Lauderdale either. I believe this was mentioned in the 2015/16 deployment thread.

I was basing my post on what Madflyer had said earlier in the thread. Miami makes sense from a competitive standpoint...On the logistics side, I'm not so sure.

Not sure about the reason she couldn't go to Miami, but I know the reason she was unable to go to Ft Lauderdale was because they require more than 24 hours notice or something to that effect.

Possibly, but adding additional ships in Miami for Royal would most likely require increasing the infrastructure to accommodate them. Seems to me that the terminal space available is a big factor in that equation

Maybe Navigator's Miami deployment is a test to see how a larger ship would do on those itineraries.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Posted by SpringAussie

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45891859&highlight=quantum+miami#post45891859

The entire basis of this part of the video is if Q has a back-up plan if Cococay is cancelled due to weather... the answer is no:

• Miami = 10m depth, Quantum 9m draft, not enough clearance (quoted from Capt Srecko at the 49min mark of the video).
  • PE = no, PE will not allow short notice berths, they need 24 hr notice. Can Q fit in any other time? Yes.
  • Charleston & Bermuda = no, Q can't fit yet.

Then scroll to post #1305:

"Port of Miami is completing a deep dredge project in July of 2015... depth goes from 42 to 50-52 feet. Not sure if this is just for the cargo (south) channel or not.

Still do not see Ovation in Miami, but they should be able to accommodate."

But regarding Bermuda... has anything at all changed in Bermuda since this video and the Capt's knowledge to allow Anthem to get into port in Bermuda next year??

Edited by Hoopster95

The port of Miami has a "Master Plan" on their website, the 2035 Master Plan. This plan was prepared in 2011. They plan to be at 8 cruise ship berths by 2017, but expect their berth usage rates to increase substantially with larger ships. They plan to be able to host 8, 1200ft ships at one time by 2020 and then having the 9th berth by 2032.

The plan seems to involve adding one 'super-terminal' and using 4 of the existing terminals.

I really have no idea how far they have come with their plan at Miami. While Quantum Class is 8.8m draft, the NCL Escape is at 8.5m, while NCL Getaway is at 8.8m draft.

I would not think Quantum class at Miami would be considered until late 2019, so plenty of time for changes before then.

Posted by SpringAussie

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45891859&highlight=quantum+miami#post45891859

The entire basis of this part of the video is if Q has a back-up plan if Cococay is cancelled due to weather... the answer is no:

• Miami = 10m depth, Quantum 9m draft, not enough clearance (quoted from Capt Srecko at the 49min mark of the video).
  • PE = no, PE will not allow short notice berths, they need 24 hr notice. Can Q fit in any other time? Yes.
  • Charleston & Bermuda = no, Q can't fit yet.

Then scroll to post #1305:

"Port of Miami is completing a deep dredge project in July of 2015... depth goes from 42 to 50-52 feet. Not sure if this is just for the cargo (south) channel or not.

Still do not see Ovation in Miami, but they should be able to accommodate."

But regarding Bermuda... has anything at all changed in Bermuda since this video and the Capt's knowledge to allow Anthem to get into port in Bermuda next year??

Why no mention of PC:what:

We took in 3 unscheduled ships in August 2014 because of Cristobol. No advance warning there to my recollection. Also Quantum called on PC when she was in NY.

Why no mention of PC:what:

We took in 3 unscheduled ships in August 2014 because of Cristobol. No advance warning there to my recollection. Also Quantum called on PC when she was in NY.

Didn't Quantum dock at Terminal 6 then? If so, that should make at least two that could handle the class: 1 and 6, and perhaps Terminal 10 as well. Should be enough capacity to handle a Q class on short notice.

Didn't Quantum dock at Terminal 6 then? If so, that should make at least two that could handle the class: 1 and 6, and perhaps Terminal 10 as well. Should be enough capacity to handle a Q class on short notice.

Quantum, docked at 3 up by Jetty Park. No real Terminal facilities up there, but fine for a port stop.

1439313791735.jpg.2ead269f90355382d0e6159b88292991.jpg