what do you keep your jewelry in?

compozer

I have used different size jewelry boxes but they are heavy and bulky. I have also used those silk pouches - put each piece in a different one and put them in zip lock bags but that takes too much time to search for the pieces I want - I tried putting them by color into the same color bags but still takes too long. I don't like clear plastic bags because some stones should not be stored in plastic bags for long periods but that is the lightest and easiest to see.

I am trying to lighten the load since we will be traveling around Europe for several weeks after our cruise. I always keep the jewelry in my purse but I keep finding more things I want close to me and it is getting pretty heavy these days. I also plan to leave it in the hotel while touring around. I have decided not to take any of my really good stuff this trip. I love jewelry for the ship - don't wear much off the ship.

Just wondering what others use to store theirs.

Thanks.

How about organza bags? They're see through. Find them in the wedding aisle.

Pill boxes also work.

I don't change jewelry when traveling. Same earrings, watch, wedding band and maybe necklace. Less to lose and worry about. Though I might wear a scarf on occasion.

Edited by SadieN

I used to use those silk pouches but earrings and rings were hard to find and necklaces got tangled. I have a pouch now that I found at Steinmart that has clear zippered pockets. I will try to post a picture later.

I use a 7 day pill box. I can keep necklaces and earrings that match together in the same day box an then extra earrings or rings in other same day boxes. Larger jewelry that does not fit in the pill box, I put in a jewelry pouch.

Thanks everyone. My pill boxes don't seem large enough to put much in them. I have pouches similar but they aren't clear. That is why I don't like mine. I really like those. I need to go shopping.

I have some real chunky jewelry that I need to protect from being pinched, etc.

I also have to put the boxes on their side to put in my purse - one time they weren't completley snapped - thank goodness I had them in zip lock bags. I don't trust the TSA people when they go through my bags. I've seen them dump a lady's purse out.:eek:

I take a couple of pr of dressy earrings in a small pouch & a couple of costume rings for the evening

They go in a large zip lock bag with other important items car key, house key D.L. so I have it all in one place ..in the safe

Getting to/from the cruise the jewelry go in my purse

I use a leather jewelry roll -- designed very much like the black fabric one pictured in an earlier post. I really like it because it's easy to pack, and fits neatly into hotel and cruise-ship safes. Can't remember where I got it (it was a long time ago), but you could probably find something very similar online, these days. :cool:

DW uses a wrap very similar to the one above, or a small box about 3 inches cubed that unfolds n three parts so chains end up hanging full length and little compartments for rings, bangles and holes for earrings.

I have a fake leather zipper case that I bought at Wal-Mart several years ago.

It has 2 inside zippered compartments, a tab for pierced earrings and a tab to put necklaces and bracelets. I bought some little tiny zip loc-bags for individual earring sets and other items. The case fits nicely in my carry-on or purse.

I quit taking big or expensive jewelry and now I take an extra pair or 2 of earrings and a pendant or 2 with a different length chain than what I am wearing. These fit fine in a small pouch. A chain will go clasp closed into a small plastic pill baggie. Since the days of dressing up are going going gone on most cruises I don't miss having 'bling' for the evenings.

When doing a land trip - sometimes DH will spring for a new piece as a 'trinket' to take home. Not as many these days with the price of gold.

I use a 7 day pill box.

Me too. Keeps things neat and organized. One pair of earrings in each compartment, some rings will fit, and even small bracelets.

My pill boxes don't seem large enough to put much in them... I need to go shopping.

If you like the idea of the pill containers, I have seen them in various sizes. The larger ones might do you well; I happen to think they are too large for pills, but perfect for jewelry. :)

I found little plastic "zip-lock-type" bags(for bead sorting, etc.) at the local crafts store (Michael's), and use those things for earrings...... put the little individual bags in a bigger ziplock, dump them out on a counter and you can find what you're looking for. Nothing gets tangled....Actually use this at home, putting those little baggies in a big hanging jewelry holder....can see everything.

Those little zip baggies are quite useful - they're also great for a few OTC pills in the purse! Or a few filled with cinnamon if you MUST have your cinnamon on your oatmeal...which we do!!!

Since the days of dressing up are going going gone on most cruises I don't miss having 'bling' for the evenings.

I love to get dressed up and really am disappointed so many don't dress up but do understand that people are packing less because of luggage fees. DH brings his tux and white dinner jacket on longer cruises.

Love reading all your suggestions. Keep them coming.

I use a silk roll-up pouch I found at a garage sale for 25 cents. It has one large pocket and several smaller zipped pockets. It holds a lot! I used to use a very expensive leather jewelry case, but it is just too bulky.

I put my necklaces, earrings, etc. in the very small zip-lock bags you can find in craft stores to keep them separated or from tangling. I carry the pouch onto the plane.

You can use a drinking straw to keep delicate chain necklaces from tangling. Put one end through and fasten it at the other end. Easy!

I read that years ago but forgot all about it. I think I will try it this time

thanks

I take as little jewelry as possible, not worth the risk of losing it. If I happen to find I really need something there is always the gift shop, they always have some great costume jewelry.. The only time I carry jewelry in my purse is on an aircraft. After many cruises I've become very good at not carrying a purse at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get a good jewelry roll bag online at QVC or HSN (I forget which - its whichever one has the Lori Greiner stuff) with the zippered clear pockets. The one I got came in a set of 3 sizes.

Here is an option you might like:

http://www.travelsmith.com/tiara-large-jewelry-case/travel-accessories/packing-organizers/800291

PS: If you put jewelry in your hotel room safe and it gets stolen, there is no recourse, but you can check the jewelry with the hotel manager and put it in the manager's safe (which is like a bunch of safety deposit boxes. If it gets stolen from there, the hotel must compensate you or you could sue them. You can also do this on cruises - the purser usually has a similar setup for passengers.