What keeps you sailing with Royal?

Anyone ever listen to Royal Caribbean blog podcast, if you haven't check it out. My parents are thinking of coming with us, they've never been on a cruise or to the Caribbean is it better for a 5 day or a 7 day?

As my folks recommended when finally bringing us along, start with 5. It's a lot easier to go on a longer one later; but if you aren't enjoying it those extra days will only have you hating life more. I also know even as rookies we were unaffected by what the ship staff considered rough enough seas to have "bags" placed by the elevators for those with weaker sea legs. Your parents' experience may vary.

To answer the question in the thread title, we like the price-vs-experience we get when booking a GS. When comparing pricing, features, perks and routes we really can't find anything else that has more appeal. It might be a different story if we were trying to get by on a tighter budget in an ocean view or interior cabin. As far as loyalty... we really haven't run into anything yet that's beat the Suite perks but this next one upcoming is first trip as Diamond. We'll see.

For now, we just live a life that only lets us get away once a year so we make it count. Going to be a trick squeezing in two for 2015, likely meaning 0 for 2016.

I'd also mention the convenience of porting in Galveston but last trip from there was 2012, and there are more options added since.

You mention that "cutbacks in food, entertainment and service were very obvious" -- so what cutbacks in entertainment did you experience on Voyager?

Then you mention "the differences in food quality and service levels were astounding' on Sun Princess -- but you make no mention of entertainment.....so therefore you could be leaving out any mention of entertainment on Sun Princess because (1) they did not offer any entertainment or (2) it was of a lesser quality and you choose not to mention it, or (3) something else, that I did not mention.....which is it?

Seriously? Are you trying to respond to every negative comment or just being overly analytical?

As a family who are about to take our first Royal cruise, having previously sailed with most of the others, we are going with low expectations, but determined to have a great time!

We have experienced many changes, good and not so good, on other lines. Change is inevitable, and we often pay about a third less for a cruise than we did several years ago, so it stands to reason that adjustments have to be made.

One thing that appears obvious however is that even the most loyal Royal customers, including those who have worked their way up the loyalty programme over many years, seem to be saying that they struggle to find reasons to stay now and are looking at alternatives for the first time in their lives. Sounds like something that the executives should pay attention to if they want to stay in profit, and can't attract a whole new raft of new cruisers. Maybe the new cruisers spend more and the company are happy to lose the older ones? Seems that way to me.

The free Happy hour cocktail hour;). And the balcony discount.

We have also started pricing other lines but when I factor in the cost of cocktails (we mainly drink during the nightly D and above cocktail hour times) and lack of balcony discount RCL is still ahead in pricing believe it or not

Please report back what they do to your OBC when you change cruise dates. I suspect they will greatly reduce the OBC to that of the new (very low) open booking amounts.

We made a phantom booking while on the EX in Feb. The LA was going to put a note in the booking that it was okay to change it without penalty once the new sailings came out.

Called RCL the morning that the sailings were released and guess what, NO note in the booking.:eek:

It took around 10 minutes and a supervisor but they ended up letting us keep the $100 instead of the $25 OBC.

We made a phantom booking while on the EX in Feb. The LA was going to put a note in the booking that it was okay to change it without penalty once the new sailings came out.

Called RCL the morning that the sailings were released and guess what, NO note in the booking.:eek:

It took around 10 minutes and a supervisor but they ended up letting us keep the $100 instead of the $25 OBC.

Ridiculous that they won't allow us to keep the OBC with just one change.

While I prefer other cruise lines (primarily Crystal, Cunard, and HAL), I've gone from first timer with Royal to Diamond in 5 years. Mostly they satisfy 2 niches for me, quick getaways and cruises out of my home port of Baltimore. With everything from Bermuda to Bahamas to Canada to deeply into Caribbean they totally blow their competition in Baltimore away, and on short cruises there's a knack to doing it right that my normally preferred lines don't develop.

Roy

It's interesting to hear that. I think a lot of us who have been pretty steady Royal Caribbean cruisers for a number of years are on the same page. Unfortunately, the line is changing quickly.

As we have started looking at other options, the new wave of loyalists are scurrying in expecting less and willing to pay more.

I've said time and time again, I'd gladly pay a higher fare for a higher quality vacation, but it actually seems to be moving the opposite way, paying more for less... and somehow people are content with it.

To answer the OP's question, we have stayed with Royal Caribbean for well over a decade because of their unparalleled ships. I don't know that the ships justify our loyalty at this point. Like Clarea, we are looking at other lines and have been opting for some resort vacations that otherwise would have been cruise vacations. We've found with resorts that we pay a little more money than cruising but the quality and atmosphere is much more upscale. That being said, there's nothing quite like soaking up the sun on a day at sea in the Caribbean.

"Scurrying in"???? Sorta like rats scurry??? LMAO

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but when we look at some of the prices I don't know if I could pay some of the prices. Don't get me wrong my DW and I really want to sail Royal but some of the ships are just enormous. Why when I look at Royal and the prices, I think of Carnival. I know there not glamorous but what if that's all some people can afford, there MDR is excellent, Guys Burgers is addicting. Anybody else have thoughts on this? Don't get me wrong I have nothing against Royal or anyone who decides to cruise with them.

shipshape points. I am waiting till them come back and will bring my old ones back onboard to redeem.

Sorry to inform you that the shipshape points have been replaced by free drinks in the lounge.

No way. I can outlast them. They will bring back ShipShape Points someday and I will corner the market for all the give away junk. I will have to bring an extra empty suitcase.

No way. I can outlast them. They will bring back ShipShape Points someday and I will corner the market for all the give away junk. I will have to bring an extra empty suitcase.

I like your spirit!

(I tossed a couple of old shipshape visors last year in a house cleaning binge. I hadn't seen them in many years anyway. I had to replace them with caps to prevent sunburn.)

What would you say is the best class of ships? The ports I would love to go are the ABC islands, but Royal doesn't Sail there till Oct 8,2016. Only problem with this is my DW is afraid to go during hurricane season.

We just went to the ABC islands this past December on Explorer. Serenade and Vision have ABC itineraries later this year.

Ridiculous that they won't allow us to keep the OBC with just one change.

I know. The frustrating part is once again it depends on who you talk to. I have been told by C and A more than once that you can make at least one if not two changes without being penalized.

In reality that is not always true.

I know. The frustrating part is once again it depends on who you talk to. I have been told by C and A more than once that you can make at least one if not two changes without being penalized.

In reality that is not always true.

Have you heard this recently?

We won't pay the high prices either. Virtually all of the cruises we have coming up were booked either before the BOGOHoax started, or during the first 2 weeks of May 2014, when they really did have some deals. If we see a price we're comfortable with, we book it, but that is getting rare.

We booked two cruises in early May 2014 when there were great cruise sales. Now I can't find a good deal on any of the cruise lines that match my schedule.

The loyalty program is my favorite thing about RCI, and that most of the friends we've met over the years also go Royal. That's mostly due to the loyalty program as well, as it fosters camaraderie better than the other lines.

But as others have said, the ridiculous "sale" prices have been giving us a reason to look at other lines as well.

RCL offers the most at the higher levels of loyalty clubs, but it takes much longer to get there.

And don't kid yourself, the cruise prices went up first, then the drink and gratuity prces went up, the next target will be less C&A benes.!:eek:

I can either get a 7 day on Jewel to St Thomas, St kitts, Aruba and Curaçao for 2500 CDN or around 2500 US on an 8 day to Aruba, Curaçao, Carnivals private island and Dominican on Carnival in a balcony, on the Sunshine.

The loyalty program is my favorite thing about RCI, and that most of the friends we've met over the years also go Royal. That's mostly due to the loyalty program as well, as it fosters camaraderie better than the other lines.

But as others have said, the ridiculous "sale" prices have been giving us a reason to look at other lines as well.

I'm in your camp as well Darth. Regarding the loyalty program, again I agree 100%... and then I factor in the "silent" benefits like the upsell I received to the aft balcony I just came from off of Legend just because I was in line with my D+ status... I wish to repay that back with my loyalty as well. But last night I spent about 45 minutes looking at various NCL and CCL sailings out of FLL and Miami for December as a solo, with CCL offering 150% supplement on several sailings. Factor in my 30% surcharge on my CAD$ and it's a massive difference for me :(

Originally Posted by clarea View Post

We won't pay the high prices either. Virtually all of the cruises we have coming up were booked either before the BOGOHoax started, or during the first 2 weeks of May 2014, when they really did have some deals. If we see a price we're comfortable with, we book it, but that is getting rare.

We booked two cruises in early May 2014 when there were great cruise sales. Now I can't find a good deal on any of the cruise lines that match my schedule.

I know reading a few posts by Bob and others, I fully agree with the above with both of you.

About 5 weeks ago I discovered one of the best prices of 2015 for the NOS Dec 6. I even emailed it to Beachcruiser as we were discussing late winter options. I've been following prices and cabins closely. Then a couple of weeks ago noticed on a couple of threads two separate CC'ers mentioning this sailing. Then last week the tax free sale started.... brilliant by RCL. The amount of interior cabins on this sailing decreased probably by at least 80% in the last week, and now that same interior is about $200 per person more plus tax. The balconies are also up $400-$500.

So I came to a huge realization watching the above occur on a nightly basis.... I think supply and demand is truly the bottom line. There seems to be more than enough people looking for the "deal" and willing to pounce, even at today's prices. More berths heading to Asia/Europe, less berths here at home, a bazillion more RCL'ers getting D/D+ status and thus wish to continue to sail Royal, and finally more & more new cruisers coming on stream. This does not bode well for supply and demand. I think we have to face it that the BOGOHO#1 last year was a one time thing, likely way more successful than RCL even thought it would be. Just take a look at this weeks Going Going Gone flyer... hardly anything on it! RCL doesn't need to :(

I can either get a 7 day on Jewel to St Thomas, St kitts, Aruba and Curaçao for 2500 CDN or around 2500 US on an 8 day to Aruba, Curaçao, Carnivals private island and Dominican on Carnival in a balcony, on the Sunshine.

So that would be about $3200CDN for the Carnival cruise after exchange. What are the cost of flights...San Juan vs Orlando.

Have you heard this recently?

About 5 minutes ago:D Just called C and A and was told they are now allowing changes without penalty. She said it did not say how many changes you could make.

Disclaimer- I did not call a second time and see what answer I got;)