I thought of something Celebrity might do for Elite/Elite Plus...

Bruin Steve

Not a single poster mentioned my favorite perk...."20% discount on any digital photo package at the Photo Gallery." Has anyone checked this out? Why on earth would I as Elite+ need this? I find it rather insulting. I seem to recall the least expensive photo package was $175. Who came up with this perk idea?

When we sail RCCL as Diamond we get 1 photo free. I think that is a much better deal.

We will have the 1-2-3 package on our Feb. 2016 cruise so time will tell. We have never had a beverage package, so I know not of what you speak. We just go to 5 to 7 and then go to dinner in Blu.

If you travel with family or friends, the photo discount might come in handy to participate with them.

We've always gone to the Elite Lounge for a drink before we had the drink package, but find it more convenient to get our drinks elsewhere now with the packages. The idea of getting a free upgrade for the drink packages would be great.

An added perk for Elite+s for us would be to allow our shareholders benefit to be added in with other perks. It's been so long since we have gotten that I sometimes feel it's time to sell the stock at its great price to get some benefit out of it.

But overall we love the benefits we get from the loyalty program and really still like the prices of the cruises we take with X.

Edited by TN Vol Fan
Added idea

From another point of view: Celebrity gives you options for whatever discounts provide you value. When I booked our next cruise, I could use a VA resident discount to drop the cost and get one of the 123go benefits. Or, I could forego the resident discount and take all of the 123go bennies. My choice.

That kind of flexibility makes it easier to choose; of course, it would be better if I could combine the promotions, but that's not to be. :)

Drinks seem to be a major topic. I do not drink alcoholic beverages. The alcoholic beverage packages do not interest me. I have sailed on cruises with included drinks. For me, it doesn't make sense. Cruise prices have increased to pay for the beverage packages. Those perks are NOT FREE. My spouse and I stopped cruising on a line that went to all inclusive and raised their fares. I would prefer lower prices and pay for the drinks as I buy them. I have purchased the non-alcoholic drink packages on some cruises. That doesn't work for me unless there are lots of sea days. I liked the idea that elite/elite+ deserve a discount for specialty restaurants/wine/drinks/internet/laundry/excursions/spa that is better than the discount available to everyone. The only elite coupons that I use are the free internet minutes and free laundry. I enjoy the elite events...not for the drinks as much as meeting avid cruisers who enjoy Celebrity.

I think Elite benefits are very good. It is the Elite plus that needs a wee bit more. Combining benefits the way Princess does would be a good start.

Please explain what you mean by combining. Some of Princess benefits far exceed some of X. In turn, some of X exceed Princess.

We are Elite plus. The benefit I would like to see most is priority debarkation in ports. I hate having to wait for all the people who have booked ship excursions. In many places it is not a big deal, but in some ports such as San Juan where we usually have limited time, it really matters.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Baby :D:D Bob and Phyl

Those who do not want a drink package miss out whenever they book a cruise that provides all 3 perks. There is no other option, so they end up paying for a drink package they don't want.

The only way to avoid it is that occasionally you may qualify for a deeply discounted cruise fare that comes without the perks.

It would be nice if they would let you have the option of taking a second onboard credit in place of the drink package (since they claim that the drink package is worth more than the onboard credit), but they won't do that.

No, they wouldn't be able to afford to do that as people would expect to get the retail value of the drinks package, and that is way above what it actually costs Celebrity.

But how many people would not use any part of the package - no sodas, no juices, no speciality coffees, no bottled water, no mocktails? I would imagine it would be a very small percentage, especially on cruises operating from Australia. But one option that it would make sense to offer would be to allow those passengers who don't drink alcohol to swap their package to the Premium Non-Alcoholic Package which covers a greater range of non-alcoholic drinks than the Classic Alcohol package.

No, they wouldn't be able to afford to do that as people would expect to get the retail value of the drinks package, and that is way above what it actually costs Celebrity.

But how many people would not use any part of the package - no sodas, no juices, no speciality coffees, no bottled water, no mocktails? I would imagine it would be a very small percentage, especially on cruises operating from Australia. But one option that it would make sense to offer would be to allow those passengers who don't drink alcohol to swap their package to the Premium Non-Alcoholic Package which covers a greater range of non-alcoholic drinks than the Classic Alcohol package.

We don't drink sodas, buy specialty coffees, bottled water, or special juices.

To me the number one thing X could do is provide an intermediate level between E+ and Zenith, even with just a small new reward set, say a few more Internet minutes, another gelato, maybe a free photo or two. Even better would be a second set of coupons on longer cruises 10 days or more.

To me the number one thing X could do is provide an intermediate level between E+ and Zenith, even with just a small new reward set, say a few more Internet minutes, another gelato, maybe a free photo or two. Even better would be a second set of coupons on longer cruises 10 days or more.

First off I believe Elite+ should get an extra gelato. The only REAL great perk that they added from being Elite to Elite+ (in our opinion) is the extra internet minutes so we can keep in touch with our son back home and maybe the complimentary tea, cappuccino, latte and espresso (which we have yet to take advantage of). We don't need more laundry coupons, especially on 7 night cruises.

We don't drink sodas, buy specialty coffees, bottled water, or special juices.

I usually purchase a wine package with average cost per bottle at $30. DW and I usually drink half a bottle of wine at dinner.

We occasionally have a martini or two, but find that when we do that, we are buzzed so high that we don't drink much the rest of the evening (perhaps one glass of wine).

But you do drink wine and martinis ;) :D

I don't drink sodas, nor any other juices except freshly squeezed juice. I like some bottled water just for the convenience of being able to carry it easily but am just as happy drinking chilled ship's water. And I'm not all that fond of beer and rarely drink it. Still, I think I'm able to get value out of a drinks package. The other factor to consider is the convenience and therefore if a package is a perk it should cater for those that want to drink alcohol or those that don't.

In case Celebrity is listening, one thing they could do for those of who are eternally stuck at Zen (between Elite+ and Zenith) would be to provide another level halfway in between. I'd be happy with some more dry cleaning and some more internet minutes. Two sets of coupons for cruises longer than 7 nights. If I do two 7-nights B2B, I get two sets of coupons. If I do one 14-night or longer, I only get one set of coupons. Doesn't make sense to me.

But you do drink wine and martinis ;) :D

I don't drink sodas, nor any other juices except freshly squeezed juice. I like some bottled water just for the convenience of being able to carry it easily but am just as happy drinking chilled ship's water. And I'm not all that fond of beer and rarely drink it. Still, I think I'm able to get value out of a drinks package. The other factor to consider is the convenience and therefore if a package is a perk it should cater for those that want to drink alcohol or those that don't.

I always keep up with what we spend while on board a cruise ship. Prior to becoming elite and enjoying the happy hour, DW and I averaged $400-$500 together, total spending on any type of alcohol of any kind. Since we have become elite, we now average about $250 total alcohol cost.

Drinks packages cost about $50 pp, per day, which for a 14 day cruise would cost DW and I $1400, so you can see that no way does the drink package work for us.

Lots of different ways to look at the "value" of a drinks package...

Even though the "retail" price charged is now $55 per day, realize that the cost of drinks to Celebrity is FAR less...Drinks have always been the highest profit area for anyone who serves them--bars, restaurants, cruise lines...

Think about it this way:

You buy a 1.75 liter bottle of Jack Daniels or equivalent at your local retailer and pay about $30 (obviously, prices vary greatly depending on which state, province or country you live in, but, lets call it $30).

If you pour a VERY generous drink, you may use about two ounces of alcohol (yes, that is a STRONG drink)...So, out of that 175 liter bottle, you can expect to get 30 drinks...So, the alcohol cost to YOU is only about $1 per drink...Say you also use a mixer--like Coke or 7Up or Club soda...maybe a third of a can per drink...plus ice...If YOU buy that soda by the 36 can case at, say, Costco, it costs about $9...or 25 cents a can...So, the cost of your mixer is only about 8 cents...So, that drink costs YOU about $1.08 at home...

But, Celebrity doesn't pay those prices you pay for booze and soda...Let's say they pay only about half what you pay. That same drink only costs them around half a dollar...But they charge you $8 at a bar on the ship...

So, let's say you are buying the package for $55 per day--7 drinks...and you have exactly those seven drinks each day...

You can look at it as though the it's only costing the cruise line $3.50 per day...

Or you can look at it as though they are foregoing $52.50 in potential profits!

So, obviously, they don't want to substitute another $12 a day in OBC to a non-drinker...They'd lose on that proposition.

Here's the magic of the Drinks Package:

Assuming you are paying that $55, the cruise line cannot lose...They don't really care how much you drink...They've cemented in their full profit on seven drinks or less...And they know with a great amount of certainty, that, even if you drink your way past the 7 drinks number, they are still making money off you...at a cost of 50 to 54 cents per drink, you'd have to drink 110 drinks per day to reverse the equation to where they'd lose money! And I don't believe it is humanly possible for ANYONE to drink over 100 drinks--200 ounces of alcohol--in a 24 hour period without killing themselves!

So, going back to figuring that the break even is seven drinks...If a cruiser buys the package and drinks seven per day, the cruise line makes $52.50 in profit...If they actually beat the break even number--say they drink ten drinks a day--the poor cruise line only makes $51 in profit...

Say you don't drink hard liquor, just wine...

Well, the numbers are shockingly the same...

A typical bottle of wine will usually net about five to six glasses...The wine they use for those classic package drinks are wines that you can pick up in your local store for about $6 a bottle (Sure, buy that same wine by the bottle on the ship and it's $30)...So, about $1 per glass...$1.20 if they pour generously and only get five...Say the cruise line pays half that...60 cents per glass...They charge $9...So, it's $7.80 in profit per glass...

So, why is Celebrity so willing to give away drink packages as a promo? Because they can build an unseen $100 per person into the pricing on a 7 night cruise, then offer you either a free gratuities (worth $84 pp on a 7-nighter) or $100 pp OBC or a free drink package...All really about equal to them...

Even on seven drinks (remember, the cost to them of those seven is only about $3.50--less than $25 on a seven night cruise)...So, even at that, they are making $75 in profit per cruiser...They are giving up the potential to make more--but, without such a package, most cruisers are NOT buying seven drinks per night...Yes, they ARE giving up some potential profit...but they are also selling cruises...and coming across looking generous...

Now, if the added premium hidden in the price is $400--as it was when I priced OUR cruise with and without--Then they aren't even foregoing potential profit...it's a big win/win for Celebrity...

.......So, why is Celebrity so willing to give away drink packages as a promo? Because they can build an unseen $100 per person into the pricing on a 7 night cruise, then offer you either a free gratuities (worth $84 pp on a 7-nighter) or $100 pp OBC or a free drink package...All really about equal to them...
Yes, and that is fine for those who do not want a drink package on the offers where you can pick one of the other perks instead.

The problem arises when all 3 perks are included in the price of the cabin, so those who do not want a drink package are still forced to pay the higher price that includes the drink package and are not allowed to substitute anything else, (unless they happen to qualify for one of the discounted price categories without perks).

It would be equivalent to setting a higher price for the cabin and including 10 free bingo cards as a "complimentary" perk, whether or not you want to play bingo, providing you no option to pay a lower price without the bingo cards or to substitute anything else in place of the bingo cards.

Another example:

- The Elite + offer of free tea and coffee at Cafe Al Bacio is very nice for those who drink the specialty coffees and teas, but worthless to those who don't.

So the guy in the group who was Elite + and only wanted a hot chocolate at Cafe Al Bacio got charged for it, even though the price of his hot chocolate was less than the price of the included specialty coffees that the rest of us ordered.

In case Celebrity is listening, one thing they could do for those of who are eternally stuck at Zen (between Elite+ and Zenith) would be to provide another level halfway in between. I'd be happy with some more dry cleaning and some more internet minutes. Two sets of coupons for cruises longer than 7 nights. If I do two 7-nights B2B, I get two sets of coupons. If I do one 14-night or longer, I only get one set of coupons. Doesn't make sense to me.

I agree, but I doubt we will see another level anytime soon. Let's be honest, the emphasis these days is really not on loyalty, but rather on suites. By the time people get to Elite+ (and I am also in that group) Celebrity has already earned their loyalty so there is little incentive to try harder. And I would also hazard a guess that a very large percentage of us reaching Elite+ are in the older age range, which is also not their current target group. Which I admit kinda blows my mind as I don't know about you but I intend to keep sailing as long as my health allows, which is hopefully for a good 20+ years or more! That's a lot of cruise $$'s up for grabs IMHO.

I also agree with you on the coupons. They really should make some allowance for longer cruises - it really isn't fair that two 7 day cruises get twice the perks of one 14 day cruise. After all, you are paying twice the price as a 7 day so why do you get the same perks??

How about for those who reach 1000 pts after each cruise completed Celebrity gives a coupon good for $ 100.00 off any cruise booked within say three months that can be combined with any and all offers!

At 2000 points you get two $100.00 coupons.

Win win!

Edited by A Sixth?

Yes...I would have to agree with that...everything seems to be focused toward that "market". Which is fine...if that is the "corporate" direction...

But...I do agree that those of us who made "Elite Plus"...while getting some nice new additional "bennies"...have a very long haul to get to Zenith!!...like I will be dead before then...and sailing in the "skies"!!! :eek:

I think another "level" between....which is somewhat "attainable" is a good move. I'm happy with AQ vs a suite price...but I think some "free" dinners at one of the specialty restaurants when reaching this "new" level would be nice...especially since the cost to dine in one has become so high...IMO. I'm not paying $100 per couple to eat at one...especially if I have Blu.

We do many T/A and T/Ps so the 123 go packages/beverages packages don't apply...how about some "free" all inclusive internet when you reach this new "Elite Plus Plus"...or those dining options?

I just finished reading a review of someone who has experienced the new "suite" level dining...seemed very up-scale...and many "bennies" ...may take a look...but I think that those of us who sail in AQ or lower are really getting the "short-end" of any new upgrades for our loyalty. Your thougths? LuAnn

Edited by LuAnn

As a newbie to cruising in general and Celebrity in particular, I think there is far too much emphasis put on "loyalty". Those who are truly loyal shouldn't need bribes. Instead of existing or even new added bennies for Elite+, how about some "welcome to Celebrity's" perqs for newcomers? Note there is no smilie at the end of the post; this is a serious suggestion.

I think those who only choose a line based on perks are selling themselves short. If the price and itinerary is right that's the line I book. I am Platinum on Princess but never sailed as Platinum. The free internet minutes on a poor bandwidth connection isn't going to trump a better price or itinerary. Right now Celebrity is my choice. I booked a C2 got all three perks which was a lot better than what Princess was offering. We normally book an ocean view so this is a big step up for us. If the drink package is included I don't feel the need to break even. I'm sure others feel the same way and that's how they are able to offer the deal. It's not costing them $50 a day pp. at the same time my cruise fare wasn't inflated $350 per person.

How about for those who reach 1000 pts after each cruise completed Celebrity gives a coupon good for $ 100.00 off any cruise booked within say three months that can be combined with any and all offers!

At 2000 points you get two $100.00 coupons.

Win win!

Variation:

When you cruised enough to get 1000 and 2000 points with Celebrity I'm guessing that you don't do as many shore tours through the ship....

How about when you board Celebrity gives a coupon good for $ 100.00 towards shore tours available on that cruise.

At 2000 points you get two $100.00 coupons!

I think those who only choose a line based on perks are selling themselves short. If the price and itinerary is right that's the line I book. I am Platinum on Princess but never sailed as Platinum. The free internet minutes on a poor bandwidth connection isn't going to trump a better price or itinerary. Right now Celebrity is my choice. I booked a C2 got all three perks which was a lot better than what Princess was offering. We normally book an ocean view so this is a big step up for us. If the drink package is included I don't feel the need to break even. I'm sure others feel the same way and that's how they are able to offer the deal. It's not costing them $50 a day pp. at the same time my cruise fare wasn't inflated $350 per person.

I agree with you, but at the same time I doubt many people only choose a line based on perks. I think that is a factor (how big varies) but rarely the final decision maker. For example, I know for us, prior to all this 1-2-3 inclusive stuff, getting the free drinks included really was a factor in evaluating which cruise to take. Was it a deal breaker one way or the other? No, but when I could get a cruise on line A for $1000 and on line B for $1000 but it included some free drinks, laundry, etc.., I would lean towards line B, all else being similar. Having said that, I still favor Celebrity regardless, but at the end of the day money still talks and I have to factor in the monetary value of perks when making a final decision.

Interesting. But for us the biggest perk of elite is the internet time and the free laundry. I'd like to see more of that.

Us too, although we may stop in to the Elite breakfast and afternoon/ early evening social hr....a few times each cruise, for the social part more than free drinks!