CATS on OASIS - Time to "Dump" it?

• 2 months later...
I joined the mass exodus at intermission, the show was BORING!!!! Chicago & Hairspray were both amazing. Cats is a REALLY BAD CHOICE and needs to be dumped.

You either love it or hate it. Same with many other shows.

My first time seeing it and my wife's 6th or so. She said it was the best one. Singing and dancing, especially AFTER intermission were outstanding.

I'll form my opinion in around 190 days. I'm sure I can make it to intermission. It definitely will be part of my review. My wife is looking forward to it.

There is a short version of Memories right before intermission. The better one is at the end of the show.

I'll form my opinion in around 190 days. I'm sure I can make it to intermission. It definitely will be part of my review. My wife is looking forward to it.

If you leave the show at intermission you miss the best part of the show. Those who leave at intermission have not seen the show.

The show is great, and the performers were great, but it is the wrong show for a cruise ship where there are lots of activities going on and where attention spans are short. It is a show for going to New York for a day and the show being the center of the day.

Edited by Charles4515

If you leave the show at intermission you miss the best part of the show. Those who leave at intermission have not seen the show.

The show is great, and the performers were great, but it is the wrong show for a cruise ship where there are lots of activities going on and where attention spans are short. It is a show for going to New York for a day and the show being the center of the day.

I agree with those points! The second act is definitely the best part of the show, but it really is an evening show in New York or the West End where it's the reason for the evening. I love the show, but have a hard time imagining sitting through it on Oasis with all that's going on!

• 5 weeks later...
You either love it or hate it.

So true! We loved it and did not notice a "mass exodus" after the intermission. I would guess 90% remained when we went a couple of weeks ago.

Before we went, I printed out a summary of the plot. It was three full pages. I took it to the show and used it as a reference to understand what was going on. I would also recommend sitting as close to the front of the theatre as possible and actually seeing the expressions on the faces of the cats.

From a practical standpoint, RCCL can't just change sets on a whim not to mention the need to train a cast.

I'll continue to maintain my postion that RCCL needs to empy the litter box (the CATS show) and find a replacement. It's run on the ship and the mostly negative comments suggest that its time for a change.

You get my vote for "Sister Act".

I am not sure where all of these negative quotes are coming from. I was on the Oasis last month for the 3 night Bahamas cruise (after the charter) & both my mother & I thought that CATS was fabulous. The singing was amazing, the acting, the sets, everything was top notch! We were actually sitting next to a couple that saw the actual Broadway show & said this this version was just as comparable or even better then the Broadway show that they saw. There were plenty of passengers that stayed for the entire show & there was a huge "standing ovation." This should tell all the "negavitive nillies" something :)

Just my thoughts but I wanted to share.

Thanks!

I have read plenty of negative comments and reviews on the CATS production aboard Oasis of the Seas. Generally speaking the comments range for boring, to "can't wait for intermission so we can do something else". I suspect they are under a long term contract to run the production but come on Royal, if you can't hold the house through the first half of the production then something has to be done.

I found it very interesting that one poster actually said the Oasis house warm up comic in the Comedy Club has an opening joke that mentions the CATS production and its problem holding an audience. "This is the largest ship at sea with the smallest comedy club, at least we have more people here tonight then the second half of CATS"! Wow now that's saying something......

Any thoughts? Can Royal give CATS the boot and bring in another "ACT"?

While they could always move CATS to another ship, they are definitely moving forward with the 4th group to perform CATS with RCI from May/June of 2016. They had New York auditions last week and will hold London auditions next week.

I'll continue to maintain my postion that RCCL needs to empy the litter box (the CATS show) and find a replacement. It's run on the ship and the mostly negative comments suggest that its time for a change.

You get my vote for "Sister Act".

Perhaps they have a contract? Then it would have to run until that ends? or Pay big to break the contract??? [Andrew Lloyd Webber came on board in Southampton to see the rehearsal.]

We heard there was a contract when we were on the TA-- when CATS first appeared on board after Rotterdam.

We did not stay after the 1st intermission and we have seen it in town live years ago.

We had other things on do on board......it has to grip you, as you are attracted to much more other entertainment.....just outside the door.:)

I was at the Diamond and above preview on the TA as well and it basically turned out to be the second act, so I understand why many left after intermission when the show opened at the end of the sailing.

The second act was sure the best part though and those of us that stayed had a much more comfortable theater to enjoy the show in post-intermission. The RCI version was sure well done for a cruise ship.

My wife and I just returned from the Oasis in September and we really enjoyed the show. This was the second time we saw it and I have to admit that this time was a lot better. Last time we went, we sat in the balcony, this time we got those prime front row seats, Wow what a different. The music was great and the dancing was excellent. Read up on the play before we went and had no problem enjoying the show. It is not too hard to understand.

If you are on a cruise and you have already paid for the show, why not go. Go with the mindset that you will enjoy it and you probably will. Go with the negative mindset and you will hate it and leave early.

I for one would not have wanted to miss it, it was the highlight of the cruise. I would have gone twice but ran out of time.:)

My wife and I just returned from the Oasis in September and we really enjoyed the show. This was the second time we saw it and I have to admit that this time was a lot better. Last time we went, we sat in the balcony, this time we got those prime front row seats, Wow what a different. The music was great and the dancing was excellent. Read up on the play before we went and had no problem enjoying the show. It is not too hard to understand.

If you are on a cruise and you have already paid for the show, why not go. Go with the mindset that you will enjoy it and you probably will. Go with the negative mindset and you will hate it and leave early.

I for one would not have wanted to miss it, it was the highlight of the cruise. I would have gone twice but ran out of time.:)

The problem is a lot of people don't have a long attention span on a cruise and walk out at intermission. I stayed for the whole show and enjoyed it but many at our showtime walked out including everyone else in my group!

Agreed! But only if you're THERE - I don't think I've ever heard them on the radio!;) Not everybody likes opera, and Cats strikes me more as an operatic production of T.S. Elliot's poetry than a musical theater production.

Judy

Actually, MTV had a video of "Rum Tum Tugger", back in the day, when they still played videos all the time. He was one hot cat! Meow!

Actually, MTV had a video of "Rum Tum Tugger", back in the day, when they still played videos all the time. He was one hot cat! Meow!

You can remember when MTV played music? That is kind of like when the Travel Channel showed more than people eating gross food.

Edited by Ocean Boy

You can remember when MTV played music? That is kind of like when the Travel Channel showed more than people eating gross food.

Yes, I'm that old. I remember when it first came on the air and the first veejays and everything. :rolleyes: