Suite guests bump Select Dining

Redtravel

So to summarize:

Suite guests are turning up at MDR unannounced and being seated immediately, thereby adding to the wait for passengers with reservations.

Guests are choosing (or being forced to choose at time of booking) traditional dining, and then frequently dining somewhere else (including upstairs in MDR), leaving empty seats on the lower level of MDR.

Creation of Luminae has reduced seating capacity in MDR by 10%.

Most proficient wait staff are choosing to work downstairs, leaving less highly rated wait staff to work upstairs.

Wait staff upstairs are trying to approach service as if it were a banquet, even though guests are being seated at different times.

Kitchen staff is taking too long to prepare orders.

Sounds to me like everyone should just write this off as a lost cause and eat at the buffet!!

I cant believe you've missed the thrust of the whole thread ....

AND it is all the fault of the suite guests. If they stayed in Luminae none of the rest would worry people.

I'll bet your husband got the lobster tail and the Beef Wellington, wife and I both did but that night we had good waiters and our second entre's were brought very quickly. Were you in traditional or Select. One word of advice is if you find a good waiter in Select, get his/her name and ask for them.

We were in traditional late seating. My DH only got the lobster for an entrée. I don't remember what 2 appetizers he ordered but he thought they just forgot the 2nd one. When it came 20 minutes later, he said "now they bring it?" I got the beef wellington, it was not as good as in the past. I waited all that time for dinner and it wasn't even worth it. It's the first time I've ever left the MDR of a cruise and was still hungry.

Our last 2 nights on Summit were definitely not the way to end a cruise. As the saying goes "it's not how you start, it's how you finish." The MDR on Summit finished very poorly.

AND it is all the fault of the suite guests. If they stayed in Luminae none of the rest would worry people.

I don't know how this thread morphed into that since in the past Suite guests were always assigned to the MDR. I don't think that they were allowed to jump the line and sail right in...pun intended. This is what the OP complained about at the start of this thread.

If you are on board the ship and change to Select, it is taken out of your on board account all at once and not on a daily basis........
Interesting because when we changed to Select on board, the charges did show up on our shipboard account on a daily basis.

A new charge was posted to our account for each passenger every day.

Maybe the method varies depending on who happens to be doing the posting.

However, it really would make no difference to us whether the charges are posted to our shipboard account daily or all together at once, since we don't actually pay them until after the cruise is over when the final account balance gets posted to our credit card as a single transaction.

I'm sorry I haven't been paying close attention to most posts. I just keep waiting to see if someone will answer a question I have. I'm really interested to know if as a suite guest I can only displace a passenger before they have been seated, or if I can actually select an occupied table and have the steerage folks move.

Has that been covered yet?

I'm sorry I haven't been paying close attention to most posts. I just keep waiting to see if someone will answer a question I have. I'm really interested to know if as a suite guest I can only displace a passenger before they have been seated, or if I can actually select an occupied table and have the steerage folks move.

Not yet but give it time. I'm sure someone will report back having had that experience or better yet they will say the suite guest was allowed to sit on his lap since the dining room was filled.

Certainly you can, but only if you are in a penthouse or royal suite, not if you are only in a lowly sky suite.

I don't know whether or not that is also a celebrity suite perk as we have not yet tried doing that when we had a celebrity suite.

But the next time we have one, I will certainly try doing it and will report back to you.

It is best if you pick out the table you want and ask the Michael's Club Concierge to remove the steerage folks for you rather than confronting them yourself. Those Michael's Club Concierges are very willing and eager to please the top suite guests. ;)

Certainly you can, but only if you are in a penthouse or royal suite, not if you are only in a lowly sky suite.

I don't know whether or not that is also a celebrity suite perk as we have not yet tried doing that when we had a celebrity suite.

But the next time we have one, I will certainly try doing it and will report back to you.

It is best if you pick out the table you want and ask the Michael's Club Concierge to remove the steerage folks for you rather than confronting them yourself. Those Michael's Club Concierges are very willing and eager to please the top suite guests.

If you're in a Royal Suite or better and the commoners are in an inside cabin, you can even order them to wait on you.

If you're in a Royal Suite or better and the commoners are in an inside cabin, you can even order them to wait on you.

And then clean up after you when you leave. Celebrity will always have a place for those folks so that they don't have to hire more foreigners to do the dirty work.

And then clean up after you when you leave. Celebrity will always have a place for those folks so that they don't have to hire more foreigners to do the dirty work.
Thank goodness there's one cruise line that understands what "modern luxury" means.

You may jest, but last year on Infinity there was a bit of a to-do with a table in Select. A group of 4 had been seated at the same table, at the same reserved time for the first 3 nights. They had specifically asked if it would be possible to keep the same waitstaff as they had received excellent service.

On the fourth evening, they went to sit at the same table and were told it was reserved for someone else. Well, their first comment to the lady sorting the Select seating was that they had been told, on the first evening, one couldn't reserve a particular table, only request certain waitstaff if they were available. No reply from her, other than they must sit at another table further into the dining room. That table sat empty for the next 30-40 minutes. Suddenly a couple appeared and were shown to that table to eat. So, one does ask the question, 'why was it held for them and not given to the original group of 4?'

Perhaps your comment spoken in jest was not too far from the truth? Who knows?

Edited by villauk

And then clean up after you when you leave.

Well this is most encouraging. We had been with HAL, but on our last voyage, the elderly couple with the inside cabin adjacent to our Neptune Suite made awful cabin stewards. Could not be bothered for ice at 3am, continually scowled at us when we gave them instructions, etc. Oh and their feeble attempt at towel animals....dreadful!!! :D:D:D

Interesting because when we changed to Select on board, the charges did show up on our shipboard account on a daily basis.

A new charge was posted to our account for each passenger every day.

Maybe the method varies depending on who happens to be doing the posting.

However, it really would make no difference to us whether the charges are posted to our shipboard account daily or all together at once, since we don't actually pay them until after the cruise is over when the final account balance gets posted to our credit card as a single transaction.

Your right, It really doesn't matter, I really posted that because someone earlier posted that if you chose Select dining once you are on board, it goes on your credit card, which it does not.

Well this is most encouraging. We had been with HAL, but on our last voyage, the elderly couple with the inside cabin adjacent to our Neptune Suite made awful cabin stewards. Could not be bothered for ice at 3am, continually scowled at us when we gave them instructions, etc. Oh and their feeble attempt at towel animals....dreadful!!! :D:D:D

Clearly the fault is yours for not offering a sufficient tip! Monkeys dont work for peanuts you know.

People are talking around the real issue which is MDR users invading speciality restaurants.

An included offering for PH and RS suite guests, they are being forced to deal with these venues being frequented by high spending MDR users who have a sense of entitlement. They have a dining room (the MDR), what makes them think that just because they can splash their cash around they have the right to displace us.

What's worse non-suite users can leave their MDR seats vacant and pay on a per use basis for the speciality restaurant they want when they want, while Celebrity charges suite users a significant upfront premium to allow them access to all the restaurants at virtually all times which includes a complimentary flogging by Cruise Critic users as an amuse bouche. Sorry ignore the last point, that one actually makes sense.

As a suite passenger (usually) I love this!:D

;)

Definitely don't get this in a Celebrity Suite but it is good to know that we can in our RS on the next cruise!!

I have an upcoming cruise on the Solstice and have been challenged with choosing our dining option. So I called the Captains Club.

My DH and I will be sky suite guests. We enjoyed our former cruising on RCCL in traditional dining. We like same table, same time, same waiter while also having the option to dine other nights or times in the specialty restaurants.

"Jacob" at the Captain's Club toll-free line said that all sky suite guests are dining in Luminae (which is next to MDR only exclusive to suite guests) whether they choose traditional or Select dining. They built Luminae to seat all suite guests if they are ever at full capacity.

I was also concerned after reading a review that the menu is limited in Luminae. I was told that we have full access to the MDR's menu.

I put in a special request to have a table for 2 each night but it's not a guarantee. I'll need to speak to Maître D on arrival.

If anyone has actually experienced what I've mentioned, to be true or not, would you please reply?

Thank you.

I have an upcoming cruise on the Solstice and have been challenged with choosing our dining option. So I called the Captains Club.

My DH and I will be sky suite guests. We enjoyed our former cruising on RCCL in traditional dining. We like same table, same time, same waiter while also having the option to dine other nights or times in the specialty restaurants.

"Jacob" at the Captain's Club toll-free line said that all sky suite guests are dining in Luminae (which is next to MDR only exclusive to suite guests) whether they choose traditional or Select dining. They built Luminae to seat all suite guests if they are ever at full capacity.

I was also concerned after reading a review that the menu is limited in Luminae. I was told that we have full access to the MDR's menu.

I put in a special request to have a table for 2 each night but it's not a guarantee. I'll need to speak to Maître D on arrival.

If anyone has actually experienced what I've mentioned, to be true or not, would you please reply?

Thank you.

We ate in the same section of Luminae every night of our 16 night cruise, except for 2 nights in spec. rest. We did not necessarily have the same table, but we did have the same wait staff each night, as that was important to us also. I would advise you that it appeared easier to do this in the section farthest from the entry door. This was on Eclipse and there is a partial wall that divided the room into two distinct areas and the area we elected to be in was much quieter than the area just inside the entrance. I assume it will be same design on Solstice, since it is also an "S" class ship. We had tables next to the window most of the nights and if not, it was only one table away. I don't know about the MDR menu as we never felt the need to opt for something not on the Luminae menu each night, it was excellent. My husband DID have escargot as an appetizer a few times which came from the MDR and they were happy to do that so I suspect you should not have a problem if the Luminae menu on a given night is not to your liking. We loved Luminae and highly recommend it! I think you'll be quite happy.:)

Just to further reassure you that the response from the last post is spot on!

You will be seated in the same area every night with the same staff, even if not exactly the same table. Your preferred water will be there, they will be asking you if you are comfortable as they show you the menu. The menu is very good but there are limited options, so if you don't like let the waiter know and they will look after you.

Excellent service, look forward to it, you will never want to go back to MDR.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Haven't experienced Luminae yet but we have been suite guests and have always waited at the end of the line when dining in other venues. If we were offered to "bump" the line we would refuse and would instead wait at the end of the line. It's hard for me to imagine someone would do that--just walk in and get in first. In Blu we never went ahead of an Aqua guest. Never did, never would. We have stood there in line and let the rest of the people in line who are Aqua Class go first.

We also do the same thing in the theatre - if people are pushing and shoving to get in and grab a seat we just hang back and let them go. So please don't put everyone in a box if they happen to pay more for their bed.

I read a lot of things here that assume suite guests feel entitled. I don't get that at all. Is that a reality or is it an assumption? When we're on a ship we are all going to the same place, we all to go the shows and lectures, hang out at the pool and are all on vacation enjoying a beautiful ship. Some of us pay more for our beds, some pay less, but that shouldn't make anyone superior. I certainly hope that if there ARE some passengers who want preferential treatment they would step back and defer.

Clearly you are considerate but frankly it shouldn't be up to your own good manners as to whether a suite guest can have the run of the ship. Celebrity should be responsible and it is up to them to ensure that none of their guests are made to feel inferior .

Well this is most encouraging. We had been with HAL, but on our last voyage, the elderly couple with the inside cabin adjacent to our Neptune Suite made awful cabin stewards. Could not be bothered for ice at 3am, continually scowled at us when we gave them instructions, etc. Oh and their feeble attempt at towel animals....dreadful!!! :D:D
Thank you.:D

We have been sailing in suites lately, & our next 3 cruises are in CS or RS. If we wanted to order from the MDR menu we would have dinner in our suite, not in Select Dining. Even if we chose to go to the MDR we would not move to the front of the line to take 1st place.

We remember you well and are so sorry that we disappointed you. We promise that we will try to do much better the next time you cruise with HAL.

We are somewhat hard of hearing, so you need to speak up when you give us instructions.

It is not that we were scowling at you, but rather that our faces appear that way because they are very wrinkled.

Towel animals were new to us as we had come to HAL from Celebrity Cruises where towel animals were not a priority in the past, but we are practicing diligently and will try to improve.

Despite the fact that we will be even more elderly (if we are still alive) by the next time you cruise with HAL, we hope you will show some mercy and give us another chance to redeem ourselves.

Otherwise, we will need to go back to Celebrity where we are really getting too old and feeble to do the rowing down in steerage, as we did in the past.

Then why not just eat in Luminae off the MDR menu. You can do that, and that way will not possibly displace someone who can only eat in the MDR?

Actually the suite diners are entitled to dine in all of these areas. That is what they pay for. I have an extremely fussy DW who will struggle with the Luminae menus and need a bail out for some nights. She had the same issues in Blu so I don't see it not being an issue when the food is more elaborate.

It sounds like celebrity has not figured out what the suite passengers WANT to eat if they are under utilizing Luminae. they need to serve what is desired not what THEY think will impress the suite pax.

What time was your reservation?

After reading some of the reviews about the new suite dining room I'm not surprised. That and the fact that if you are traveling with someone not booked in a suite you may want to eat in the MDR with them.

So lets recap. We have a traditional dining room that goes 1/2 full because passengers are eating at other venues and a suite dining room that isn't being used to capacity because suite guests are either eating in Blu, a specialty restaurant, on their balcony or in the select MDR.

I think it's time for Celebrity to either follow through with honoring reservations in the MDR by making suite guests wait in line like the rest or tell them that they can order from the MDR menu in Laminae. If they can't accommodate select diners then they need to fill seats in the traditional dining room or get rid of traditional dining and open it up for the very popular select dining.

If select dining is going to be a free for all like it is on Princess I will go back to booking on Princess.