Income of Royal Caribbean Passengers

What is your cruising family's household income?  

734 members have voted

1. 1. What is your cruising family's household income?

• 0-40,000
    • 40,001-80,000
    • 80,001-120,000
    • 120,001-180,000
    • 180,001 +

I'm a full time student with a part time job. We find a way to cruise nearly once a year but we do make sacrifices in order to do it because it's worth it to us. It is unfair to think that just because someone can find a way to pay for a vacation that they are rich. It's also unfair to assume that all of the people working on a cruise ship are poor.

LOL...pretty simple, right?!? But it's Cruise Critic. This is the place where we welcome everyone to contribute questions, deep thoughts, personal opinions about cruising. Then we turn on the posters; verbally assault them, and beat them mercilessly with the cyber-space bat. I love this place. :rolleyes:
I agree but why do people do that? Really? Or the people who come on here and beg to not be flamed for giving their opinion. :cool:

I personally think the results of this poll will be fascinating.

You all are correct, it's nunya...if the OP was asking each of us individually to post what our income is. But as a completely anonymous poll, it will be an interesting reflection on the demographics of the subset of RC cruisers who frequent CC.

Of course, "income" doesn't tell the whole story. A family living in a medium-sized city in the midwest could be living quite high on the hog indeed at, say, $100,000 per year. But that same income in NYC or LA or Boston is another story.

Still a fun diversion. Thanks for creating the poll, OP.

I agree - income numbers really mean nothing. It ALL has to do with where you're spending that income (i.e. where you live)

On another note....just looking at the results shows a perfect bell curve. Even though its not a scientific poll, it kinda knocks the air out of a few politicians arguments/stances, huh?? :eek: haha!

Edited by rgmacm

That is so interesting! I cannot imagine trying to afford a $500,000 house! You are so right, your income does not mean a thing!

We live in a 12 year old, 3000 sq ft, 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom house on almost an acre lot in a great neighborhood and our house is worth about $235,000- $250,000. We pay about $3200 in property taxes per year. If I lived in Virginia, would I have to make 30%, 50% more to live the same life I do now?

Seeing that your mortgage is usually your biggest expense (right now ours is our 2 kids college tuition bills!), are wages equally higher or do you think you just end up paying a larger % of your take home pay to your mortgage company?

I have used a website before that compares cost of living between two cities. At one point we were looking at California, San Diego area, as a possible career move and housing prices were outrageous. I was surprised that it said our income would only have to increase 20% to have the same standard of living.

Interesting!

Lauri

That same size house and lot in our area of No VA would run you more like $600,000 with property taxes closer to 7-8K. Our home is about 5800 sq foot on 2/3 acre with a 3 car garage and our taxes are $9400/year. Avg price here for a house and lot that's the size of mine is more like $850,000. We've been here 11 years so we didn't spend 800K then, but it was more than 500K. A lot of areas, the cost of living is mortgage and property taxes and everything else (groceries, utilities) are pretty similar to most of the country which is where the 20% more for San Diego comes in. But, that does sound low. I've looked at real estate in SD and we'd have to downsize to spend 20% more than we currently are there. It's very common for household incomes in this area to be 200K and up. Heck, my sons who are 29 and 31 make over 75K each working as Systems Engineers with large Federal contractors. Most kids right out of college with any type of technical/engineering degree make at least 60K in this area and some even more depending on their major. And at 60K, you might be able to swing an apartment (small) by yourself. Apartments rent for at least 1300-1400/mo for 1 bedroom and that's not an upscale place, just pretty standard.

Anyway, it's interesting to see the income levels and realize that if we were in the lowest 2 categories, we'd be in big trouble here and even in the middle bracket, we'd be lucky to go on vacation every few years, even if we lived in a smaller, cheaper house.

Edited by BND

San Diego is actually "affordable" by urban coastal California standards. BTW, $250k wouldn't even get you a shack here in the SF Bay Area. And 3,000 sq ft? In some of our neighborhoods, just add another 0 to the Michigan price you cited.

I'm reminded of a work situation (in Los Angeles years ago) where someone I was interested in hiring balked at housing prices. When she cited comparison stats for her housing in a college town in Indiana, I reminded her:

"True. But, when you walk out of your apartment there, you're still in Indiana." (She took the job).

I LOVE this! Talk about putting things into perspective. We were really excited about the possibility of moving out there but unfortunately it did not work out that way! But, I would love to have your weather and the lifestyle that goes along with that glorious weather!

Lauri

San Diego is actually "affordable" by urban coastal California standards. BTW, $250k wouldn't even get you a shack here in the SF Bay Area. And 3,000 sq ft? In some of our neighborhoods, just add another 0 to the Michigan price you cited.

I'm reminded of a work situation (in Los Angeles years ago) where someone I was interested in hiring balked at housing prices. When she cited comparison stats for her housing in a college town in Indiana, I reminded her:

"True. But, when you walk out of your apartment there, you're still in Indiana." (She took the job).

So you tried to talk her out of it but she took it anyway.

That same size house and lot in our area of No VA would run you more like $600,000 with property taxes closer to 7-8K. Our home is about 5800 sq foot on 2/3 acre with a 3 car garage and our taxes are $9400/year. Avg price here for a house and lot that's the size of mine is more like $850,000. We've been here 11 years so we didn't spend 800K then, but it was more than 500K. A lot of areas, the cost of living is mortgage and property taxes and everything else (groceries, utilities) are pretty similar to most of the country which is where the 20% more for San Diego comes in. But, that does sound low. I've looked at real estate in SD and we'd have to downsize to spend 20% more than we currently are there. It's very common for household incomes in this area to be 200K and up. Heck, my sons who are 29 and 31 make over 75K each working as Systems Engineers with large Federal contractors. Most kids right out of college with any type of technical/engineering degree make at least 60K in this area and some even more depending on their major. And at 60K, you might be able to swing an apartment (small) by yourself. Apartments rent for at least 1300-1400/mo for 1 bedroom and that's not an upscale place, just pretty standard.

Anyway, it's interesting to see the income levels and realize that if we were in the lowest 2 categories, we'd be in big trouble here and even in the middle bracket, we'd be lucky to go on vacation every few years, even if we lived in a smaller, cheaper house.

That is quite an eye opener to someone who has always lived in Mi & WI where living is quite cheap! Thanks for sharing!

Lauri

Cruising is generally seen as an affordable vacation option. Compare a cruise with a similar vacation to Disney or other popular vacation option, and you'll see you don't necessarily have to be rich to cruise, especially if you live near a port.

Add me to the list of people who just don't understand why if you don't want to participate in this poll you don't. What is the point of being insulting?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Cigar King...high-five on that.

Cruising is generally seen as an affordable vacation option. Compare a cruise with a similar vacation to Disney or other popular vacation option, and you'll see you don't necessarily have to be rich to cruise, especially if you live near a port.

I hear this over and over and it is so untrue. I have taken the family to Disney at least 8 times in the last decade and I can go there two or three times for the price of a cruise. Cruising is an expensive vacation.

I hear this over and over and it is so untrue. I have taken the family to Disney at least 8 times in the last decade and I can go there two or three times for the price of a cruise. Cruising is an expensive vacation.

I suppose the term "expensive" is relative. DH and I find cruising for our income to be quite affordable...it's the AIRFARE that tends to be a bit outrageous. But whatever, we make it work. Now Disney World/Disney Cruise lines I find to be a bit costly, but again, it's all relative.

Last time I checked, it was about $400 per person just for a week-long ticket to Disney, and that doesn't include lodging or food. Are you sure you could go to Disney two or three times for the price of a cruise? I suppose, if you're talking about the price of a suite on one of the newest ships during the busiest time of year, the math might work out that way.

FCCA

Cruise travelers spread across the age spectrum, with one-quarter falling equally in the 30-39, 50-59 and 60-74 age groups.

• Cruisers’ annual household income was $114,000.

• The vast majority of cruise travelers were employed (72%), college educated (69%) and married (84%).

• Past cruisers predominately believed that cruises should be taken often while mixing it up with landbased vacations, with 34% responding this way. Another 18% strictly prefer cruise vacations over other types and want to cruise as often as they can.

From an income perspective, these stats look dead on with the 'informal' poll here. I find it interesting how the distribution works out. Not surprising, just confirmation. And no, it doesn't necessarily equate to overall wealth, etc.

I am very surprised so many people actually answered this poll. I also will go with nunya..

Well, for years folks around here have been fascinated (obsessed) with wanting to know what the crews on the ships make. It was inevitable that they would finally get around to the passengers.;):rolleyes:

Well, for years folks around here have been fascinated (obsessed) with wanting to know what the crews on the ships make. It was inevitable that they would finally get around to the passengers.;):rolleyes:

Agree...and what difference does it make anyway ;)

I suppose the term "expensive" is relative. DH and I find cruising for our income to be quite affordable...it's the AIRFARE that tends to be a bit outrageous. But whatever, we make it work. Now Disney World/Disney Cruise lines I find to be a bit costly, but again, it's all relative.

Certainly its relative, but I'm spending over 3000 dollars for an inside room that is about the size of the bathroom in the condo we had on our last vacation. We spent half that on our last vacation which was Orlando, Disney, Space center and Cocoa beach. I prefer driving generally, if airfare is low enough we'd consider it but we really don't mind driving and it comes with the convenience of no baggage limits.

We did go on a Disney cruise before and I'll certainly never do that again.

That same size house and lot in our area of No VA would run you more like $600,000 with property taxes closer to 7-8K. Our home is about 5800 sq foot on 2/3 acre with a 3 car garage and our taxes are $9400/year. Avg price here for a house and lot that's the size of mine is more like $850,000.

For a comparison our home is 2600 sf on 1/3 acre, two car garage, paid $400,000 for it 10 years ago. My property taxes are $8,000 a year here in CT.

Last time I checked, it was about $400 per person just for a week-long ticket to Disney, and that doesn't include lodging or food. Are you sure you could go to Disney two or three times for the price of a cruise? I suppose, if you're talking about the price of a suite on one of the newest ships during the busiest time of year, the math might work out that way.

I took my daughters to Disney World last year. I have a three-bedroom timeshare that I bought for a $1 on eBay. With my RCI timeshare membership, I can rent timeshares for $299 or less a week if its three months or less before the vacation. I paid $185 for a two-bedroom five minutes from the entrance to DW. About $150 for the car rental. 7-day ticket to DW was $320. I bought food for breakfast and lunch and we went out for dinner. Air fare was $200 each.

All this talk of real estate. You guys should try living in Vancouver where tear downs are going for 2 million and others are going for 1.5 million over asking price :eek: then we have to pay 25% more for our cruises :rolleyes: you should feel for us Canadians ;)

I have never understood why people get so perturbed when they are asked how much money they make, especially anonymously. Is it a generational thing? Do you feel people judge you by how much or how little you make? Do you think you should be making more? I do not get it!

I also do not understand why people are so defensive about others knowing their salaries. I, like you, don't go around telling people, but if someone asks I have no problem sharing.

I do find some of the reactions here quite interesting, though. It is definitely indicative of a mindset in America that income is some kind of deeply personal matter, so much so that some people are offended even by the idea of being asked to anonymously answer a poll about it.

Some of us wish it could be deeply personal, but DH's compensation is published in the annual report of his company and people know exactly how much stock in the company he is required to retain (certain multiple of base salary) and how many restricted share units he receives each year etc.

I find the results of the poll interesting and I would like to see the same poll done for Princess, Carnival and HAL passengers.

It really does matter where you live. We are lucky to live in a state with affordable housing, but in our neighborhood 3000 + sq ft houses have jumped from $250,000 to $450.000 - $500,000 in the past few years, but they can only raise the appraisal on your house a maximum of 10% per year. Our house was new when we bought it 25 years ago and our real estate taxes have increased from about $3000 per year to over 8,000. But, thankfully, we have no state income tax.

We have never had a car payment in our lives. We paid the mortgage off on our house 12 years ago.

We used our wedding money to pay for the first car and then just traded in and added $$$ every time we bought a car. We buy our cars new, but keep them as long as they are running well.

We scrimped and saved from the day the kids were born for their educations, so we did not have to take that out of income when they were in school. If they got any scholarships they were allowed to keep the money leftover in their college funds, so oldest son had the money for a honeymoon cruise and the down payment on his first house when he married upon graduation from college.

We get some real nice checks every month from some oil and gas wells that we invested in about 17 years ago and we get some nice dividends from his company stock, but every penny of that has been saved for retirement. We also save more than 50% of our take home pay every month. The trick has to always live below our means.

Edited by DebJ14

All this talk of real estate. You guys should try living in Vancouver where tear downs are going for 2 million and others are going for 1.5 million over asking price :eek: then we have to pay 25% more for our cruises :rolleyes: you should feel for us Canadians ;)

I feel for you....... live in Van. too!!!:D

Some may think you are exaggerating but we know different.:eek::eek: