Becoming Diamond during cruise question

FWIW, turned Diamond at the end of our last cruise. Didn't get or expect any benefits on the cruise, but the LA did give us the Diamond balcony discount on our onboard booking so we didn't have to go back and adjust it. I consider that a pretty big benefit!

We are in the same situation.

We will be turning Diamond on this cruise, so our benefits will kick in after this cruise.

We too will be booking a future cruise while on board, hope we are lucky enough to save some paper work too.

Thanks for sharing.

On our NYE cruise, the moment we stepped on board in Tampa, we started our 175th day. Jokingly asked the LA about bumping us to D+, and received a completely expected no. If we're in the same situation when we reach Pinnacle, at least I'll know I won't need to ask:D

I can point out that I also have many Celebrity cruises under my belt, plus I have a total of 28 nights on RCI this year alone...

Forgive me but saying that doesn't work in your favor and may actually just make the LA turn up his/her nose a little quicker. :p;):D

Forgive me but saying that doesn't work in your favor and may actually just make the LA turn up his/her nose a little quicker. :p;):D

I agree, I wouldn´t do that and I can see how that aproach could make the LA say no very quickly.

On our NYE cruise, the moment we stepped on board in Tampa, we started our 175th day. Jokingly asked the LA about bumping us to D+, and received a completely expected no. If we're in the same situation when we reach Pinnacle, at least I'll know I won't need to ask:D

Yes, when earning your 700th point, you are awarded your Statrum on the cruise that you have earned that milestone. However, you are not supposed to receive your Gold Card benefits until the following cruise. This does vary by ship, unfortunately as well as how you are recognized in so far as fan fare, etc.

Edited by cruisenfever

I completed the required nights for Diamond Plus on the second night of a 14-night cruise and nicely asked the LA about it and he very rudely shouted so everyone in the room could hear, "I cannot do that." It was embarrassing and I wish I wouldn't have asked. :(

I completed the required nights for Diamond Plus on the second night of a 14-night cruise and nicely asked the LA about it and he very rudely shouted so everyone in the room could hear, "I cannot do that." It was embarrassing and I wish I wouldn't have asked. :(

I've heard of this happening before. Rude, but I guess they get tired of people asking them to go against policy because they're special.

Well if he shouted "I cannot do that" for everyone in the room to hear, all the others must have heard the question as well for it to be an embarrasing Situation.

It´s a great example though of the need to be prepared for the NO.

I wouldn´t ask in the first place and I have some sympathy with the LA´s who probably hear the question all the time and get quite fed up with it and then get called rude when saying no.

Well if he shouted "I cannot do that" for everyone in the room to hear, all the others must have heard the question as well for it to be an embarrasing Situation.

I wouldn´t ask in the first place and I have some sympathy with the LA´s who probably hear the question all the time and get quite fed up with it and then get called rude when saying no.

Just as Guest Services usually has a sign up stating that there are "No cabins are available for upgrades" the LA should get a sign for their desk stating that "No upgrades to C&A status will be permitted mid cruise"

Although those that were going to ask probably would think that the sign did not apply to them.:rolleyes:

Just as Guest Services usually has a sign up stating that there are "No cabins are available for upgrades" the LA should get a sign for their desk stating that "No upgrades to C&A status will be permitted mid cruise"

Although those that were going to ask probably would think that the sign did not apply to them.:rolleyes:

Yes, you have pointed out the most obvious solution.

Great thinking.

Sea Ya

This has been discussed many times over the years and the general consensus is, you can try but be prepared for the "No.". That's what happened with us and with most people who tried the same thing. The Diamond perks are quite nice, especially the free drinks in the evening, so obviously they make us wait until we have duly earned the status, as it costs them revenue.

True, for us it was a different experience. A D+ member canceled right before a cruise and we got his JS for the cruise and they kept deliverying his gifts and invites to our room. The only thing we didn't get was in the Diamond lounge and the drinks loaded on our cards.

Being Diamond and having been there before (many of us came to a point where we are only 1 or 2 points shy from Diamond).. I agree with most of the replies.. most cases, you will get a no, this has been discussed before, and indeed in some cases, you won't get a very friendly rejection response.

You can ask, there is no harm, but prepare yourself first for a bigger possibility of being rejected.

From experience, you have greater chances of being accommodated for upgrade in between B2B cruises rather than being upgraded mid cruise. It happened to me with another cruise line when I did Alaska B2B.

Reg that very slim chance of being upgraded by the LA mid cruise, there are several factors to consider, one if the sailing is full of Diamonds and the lounge is overflowing every night, spilling out to another area, you get 0 chance.

On the other hand, if you are in some markets like Asia, especially in the China sailings where there are so many golds but the Diamond lounge is almost empty every night, then you might have a chance.

Edited by roquejo

We didn´t ask but as we had another cruise a couple of days later we aked the LA whether she can help us that our change of status will be recognized on the next cruise (as usually it takes a week or more until the points are credited to your account). She promised to send an email to her collegue - anyway it didn´t help and we had to talk to the collegue on the second ship.

But what we got were the D pins (which we didn´t get on the second ship).

steamboats

Or they don't understand English.:)

If you're really close (1 or 2 points) it can't hurt to talk directly to crown & anchor. I'm going on my first cruise in 3 years in a few weeks with a buddy who's only been on short 3 & 4 night cruises (usually in a suite). He logged into the Royal Caribbean website where it clearly showed "Points: 29, Status: Platinum" (never mind the fact that he'd be over halfway to diamond under the old system). This was without calling in to ask - just happened automatically. So calling in and asking couldn't hurt.

If you're really close (1 or 2 points) it can't hurt to talk directly to crown & anchor. I'm going on my first cruise in 3 years in a few weeks with a buddy who's only been on short 3 & 4 night cruises (usually in a suite). He logged into the Royal Caribbean website where it clearly showed "Points: 29, Status: Platinum" (never mind the fact that he'd be over halfway to diamond under the old system). This was without calling in to ask - just happened automatically. So calling in and asking couldn't hurt.

I recall from what I've read somewhere in this forum, they are more lenient in upgrading to Platinum and Emerald with few points short rather than Diamond.

And yes, there are cases when upgrades to either Platinum or Emerald with 1 point short are given without the guest even asking for it... it depends on how they see you as a potential revenue guest..like in this case, he is always in a suite so he gave an impression of a high revenue guest.

But upgrades to Diamond with few points short are harder to get even if you specifically ask for it, usually you can ask only if there is a very valid reason for an upgrade. I have read somewhere in the forum that one got upgraded to Diamond with a point short, it is because they have a past dispute where they were awarded 1 point cruise short. They didn't get that missing point in the end but were just upgraded to D, but still they have to fight for it.

Coz Diamond is the level where the incremental benefits jump considerably.. you get $100 additional balcony discount, you have daily access to Diamond lounge with unlimited drinks during happy hour, 3 Diamond drinks in your sea pass per night, free 24 hours consecutive internet minutes, free 1 photo print worth $20 compared to Emerald.

So it is more costly to give the upgrade to Diamond

I actually did call C&A and I was told they couldn't do anything. She suggested I book a cheap cruise so that I would be Diamond for my 12 nighter in November. That's how we wound up with our Grandeur cruise later this month.

I really have no problem with the rules, but it never hurts to ask.

I've heard of this happening before. Rude, but I guess they get tired of people asking them to go against policy because they're special.

In no way am I more special than any other passenger! I very quietly asked the question so no one could hear me but him; however, the reply was a shout. I only asked because of all the folks on these boards who have reported a favorable result. I was definitely prepared for the NO in an indoor voice. Absolutely I should not have bothered him at all and I regret asking as I'm sure he had better things to do.

In no way am I more special than any other passenger! I very quietly asked the question so no one could hear me but him; however, the reply was a shout. I only asked because of all the folks on these boards who have reported a favorable result. I was definitely prepared for the NO in an indoor voice. Absolutely I should not have bothered him at all and I regret asking as I'm sure he had better things to do.

Just because he was rude and nasty to you doesn't mean you should not have asked the question. I find it laughable that people on this board think that because a policy such-and-such, that you can't ask about it on board a ship. Like it's a huge sin to question whether the policy is administered differently on board a particular ship. I've posted before in discussions like this that there's is a difference in rigidity between a POLICY and a RULE. Some posters on this board think a policy is a law!!

What if you were totally ignorant of the policy and it was just an innocent question? He was way out of line to answer you the way he did, and you weren't out-of-line asking the question. Asking a question, even if you anticipate the answer, is no reason for poor customer service and rudeness.

Edited by pcur

I think it doesn't hurt to ask. My experience has been that the concierges are typically incredibly nice people so if you ask with a "I don't know for sure" kind of attitude and be really nice they may let you slide. If you come across like you're entitled they may be put on the defensive. If they say no then that is technically the rule so there's really nothing you can do. But, if you don't ask you won't know.

I don't think it's unfair to anyone who got told no in the past. It doesn't hurt them if you get the benefits. It's subjective, of course, but it's not like you took anything away from them.

I also think it matters that you're so close and that may help them be sympathetic.

If you don't ask you won't know... :o)

Tom

Being Diamond and having been there before

From experience, you have greater chances of being accommodated for upgrade in between B2B cruises rather than being upgraded mid cruise. It happened to me with another cruise line when I did Alaska B2B.

absolutely you would be accommodated in between B2B cruises. B2B cruises are separate cruises - you would have every right to be upgraded for the second leg if you achieved higher status during the first leg. However, you may have to nudge the LA for this to happen because often it doesn't register automatically on the C&A system for a few days.

Our reaching Diamond was done about half way through the first week of a B2B. We didn't ask (or expect) to be upgraded that week, but went to the LA the morning of the first day of the second week, and they did it immediately and gave us new cards.

I think it doesn't hurt to ask. My experience has been that the concierges are typically incredibly nice people so if you ask with a "I don't know for sure" kind of attitude and be really nice they may let you slide. If you come across like you're entitled they may be put on the defensive. If they say no then that is technically the rule so there's really nothing you can do. But, if you don't ask you won't know.

I don't think it's unfair to anyone who got told no in the past. It doesn't hurt them if you get the benefits. It's subjective, of course, but it's not like you took anything away from them.

I also think it matters that you're so close and that may help them be sympathetic.

If you don't ask you won't know... :o)

Tom

The Concierge has nothing to do with it.

The person "in charge" of this is the Loyalty Ambassador.