Whats the "Rule" on acquiring LARGE souvenirs??

dlg64

We sailing with RCL from Singapore in Sept and our last international stop is Bali so I would like to know others experience of buying large items and bringing them on board.

I am not talking HUGE :eek: just some medium size metal wall art pieces and moderate stone statues (less than 60cm high) that I have never been able to bring home on an air plane flight before in all my Bali trips.

I was thinking this is a perfect opportunity ....but are there rules that ships have regarding this ?? :confused:

I will be sailing into my home port so that is not an issue....and yes I imagine I would have to find room in my cabin to store items...OR DO I ??

Can you request to store 'souvenirs' else where on board??

If I am day dreaming then tell me.... its my first cruise !! :p

We sailing with RCL from Singapore in Sept and our last international stop is Bali so I would like to know others experience of buying large items and bringing them on board.

I am not talking HUGE :eek: just some medium size metal wall art pieces and moderate stone statues (less than 60cm high) that I have never been able to bring home on an air plane flight before in all my Bali trips.

I was thinking this is a perfect opportunity ....but are there rules that ships have regarding this ?? :confused:

I will be sailing into my home port so that is not an issue....and yes I imagine I would have to find room in my cabin to store items...OR DO I ??

Have the vendor ship the items home.

I'd check with the line, but several years ago we were on a segment of a world cruise. Some people bought furniture in Asia. It was stored in the ship's hold. How they got it home from where ever they disembarked is another story.

Many vendors will do this for you and it certainly can't hurt to ask. As long as you can fit the item in your cabin and it isn't on the prohibited item list I believe that you will be fine (but of course verify this with the guest services folks onboard prior to making the purchase).

I remember boarding the Aurora on the day she returned from her world cruise, and there were still passengers waiting for suitable transport to collect them and their souvenirs from the ship...according to one officer, there was a woman sitting in reception at midday surrounded by over 30 bags, so she needed a van to take her home. And, yes, he said that they were mainly articles purchased around the world.

The part that could be tricky is getting it through security check. If it will fit on the x-ray scanner, no problem. If it won't fit, why not inquire from security on the gangway before you make a purchase.

We were on a RCL ship that stopped in Tangiers. Several people in our tour group purchased rugs. The sellers tied them up and delivered to the pier. Smaller size than I thought they could fold it to, but certainly a large package.

No restriction other than making sure it fits for your flight home.

Keith

OP said they are leaving the ship at his home port. No flight necessary and that is why he wants to purchase these items on the cruise.

No restriction other than making sure it fits for your flight home.

Keith

No flights involved...

I dont want to go that option it takes a LOT of organising and can be tricky at this end and really It is not worth it as I dont want anything that large jsut moderate sizes too small for a ship container and too large to fly home when I am usually in Bali.

Thanks Sail7seas..... I had not thought about security scanners...whilst they will go thru ok they will be large and heavy to lift up for a scanner. Might have to use the hand wand !!

A few points to think about.... But I am still going shopping !!:D:D

The funniest story I heard was about someone who bought a 6 foot wooden giraffe in Mombasa. The kept it on the bridge of the ship for 6 months until they landed at a port near the owner:)

Hehehe ... don't tempt me I actually quite like Giraffes !!! :):D

I bought a 6 ft (2 meter) tall wood carving in Jamaica and had no problems with it. I did lay it down to get it through the x-ray on the ship in Jamaica. I hand carried it back to the ship and off the ship in FL. It got lots of attention, but no concerns. Getting it in the little car to drive home was the hard part :)

I would read your Cruise ticket contract, specifically section 3: Baggage, Property and Limitations of Liability. Here is a link for you.

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RoyalCaribbean_Cruise_Ticket_Contract_013114.pdf