We liked HA, but need to choose a different line.

Elise17

Four years ago we went on an Alaskan cruise with Holland America, and we loved it. Everything was great.

In the spring, we'd like to go on a Caribbean cruise, but the dates of Holland America's just don't mesh well with my spring break, so we are looking for something else. We want nice, quiet evenings for relaxation - we aren't partiers.

Suggestions?

We cruise Princess, Holland America, Cunard and Celebrity primarily. We are actually elite on Princess and Celebrity... I would think any of these lines would be a good fit.

Cunard more formal but less of a party atmoshpere than any, besides Holland America. On Celebrity and Princess you have lots of options you can join in or not ... we are not into the party scene... works for us.

I'll also recommend Princess.

A few years ago we were also looking for a replacement for HAL. We tried Oceania with high hopes and can't honestly recommend a cruise line to anyone that we won't sail on again. ;) The cabins were absolutely wonderful but the food and service were the worst we've ever encountered in over 30 years of cruising. While HAL isn't known for their entertainment, we were bored out of our minds on Oceania.

I'll also recommend Princess.

A few years ago we were also looking for a replacement for HAL. We tried Oceania with high hopes and can't honestly recommend a cruise line to anyone that we won't sail on again. ;) The cabins were absolutely wonderful but the food and service were the worst we've ever encountered in over 30 years of cruising. While HAL isn't known for their entertainment, we were bored out of our minds on Oceania.

Interesting... my DH wanted to try Oceania, our TA said that is a line she wants to go on, it is more expensive... I think we will pass.

Interesting... my DH wanted to try Oceania, our TA said that is a line she wants to go on, it is more expensive... I think we will pass.

You will pass on one persons negative opinion :eek:

I will bet you have seen negative opinions on the other cruise lines yet you choose to sail with them

Oceania may not be the right "fit" for some

Most of the cruises we have been on have 70% return passengers so I guess they must be good

JMO

I will bet you have seen negative opinions on the other cruise lines yet you choose to sail with them

Most of the cruises we have been on have 70% return passengers so I guess they must be good

JMO

A factual comment that Oceania is likely to be more expensive than a mass market line is not really a "negative opinion".

Four years ago we went on an Alaskan cruise with Holland America, and we loved it. Everything was great.

In the spring, we'd like to go on a Caribbean cruise, but the dates of Holland America's just don't mesh well with my spring break, so we are looking for something else. We want nice, quiet evenings for relaxation - we aren't partiers.

I've cruised several times on HAL, Princess and Celebrity. I mostly agree with what's already been said in this thread. I think Princess would be a good step sideways and honestly, I think Celebrity is a small step up from HAL.

Ref Oceania, I haven't tried them yet, but from what I've read on these boards, I would love to.

Edited by Aquahound

JMO

A factual comment that Oceania is likely to be more expensive than a mass market line is not really a "negative opinion".

I agree

Then why'd you jump over the poster for not wanting to sail on Oceania based on price:confused:

Edited by Emperor Norton

I like Oceania a lot but we use them for port intensive cruises. The open seating and refined atmosphere is a nice break when we have been out all day touring.

We have been to the Caribbean more than a few times and for us we like a lot of ship board entertainment. Most of the time for the Caribbean we choose one of the large Royal Caribbean ships. We have done Celebrity - the atmosphere is more adult and the food is better.

Look at the ships, itineraries, cabins and reviews. There are a lot of choices.

Since you are looking for a more sedate and quiet cruise, I would suggest these lines:

Princess

Celebrity

Crystal

Regent Seven Seas

Seaborn

Windstar

and Oceania

You are listing lines with a huge difference in price and luxury level. Princess probably offers the most reasonably priced cruise of those lines. Celebrity is a step up, Oceania one more step up. The others are luxury lines, some very formal, most if not all include alcohol which makes them automatically more expensive.

For the Caribbean we would strongly recommend either Princess or Celebrity. As to how to decide (besides timing and itinerary) you might want to consider the size of the ships. We particularly enjoy the Grand Class Princess ships and "S" Class of Celebrity. When looking at the Caribbean pay particular attention to the times in ports. Some cruise lines have cut-back on their hours in several ports in order to save on fuel by cruising at a slower speed. An extra 1 or 2 hours in a port can make a big difference in tours or just beach days.

Hank

I would agree that Celebrity might be the best fit, and a step up from Holland America. In addition, Celebrity has the most progressive smoking policy, (Oceania too). No smoking anywhere in the interior of the ship and no smoking on balconies. The S-class ships are very nice!

Many people like Princess, but I'm not one of them. I just don't get it?:rolleyes: The food is basic, areas of the ships are very crowded and the over-all decor is bland. I will give them another try in a couple of years.

Good luck and you really can't make a mistake with these fine companies,

Kel:)