HAL no longer requires formal dress

Jade13

I was wondering if I could wear a really nice T shirt and shorts to,the MDR? What is so special about a collared shirt?

I hate to check any bags and even a collared shirt and long pants is hard to get into a single carry on. Since they no longer require a jacket or tie, what is the logic for requiring a collar shirt/long pants?

Why should my wearing shorts and a Nice T shirt bother anyone now?

And my Nice flipflops! How about my Nice sorta transparent, really expensive, designer--I will make sure you know the name--swimsuit cover-up, instead of a blouse? (I don't like wearing the actual bikini top as it's constricting.)

P&J, I know you're playing devil's advocate, but re: bothering anyone:

On our first RCI cruise, a tablemate defiantly wore "nice" tees every night--slippery, shiny, garishly colored/patterned. (Not the sports-team kind.) He constantly bragged about being a lawyer. Had a companion who actually wore almost the outfit I describe above; we invented a history for them, which assigned her a past stripper career. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

On formal night, he swaggered in wearing another of the tees, only this one was black & white, with an image of a bow tie, buttons and cummerbund on the front. Classy stuff, buddy! And that's really thing about "bothering: others:

On the one hand, it can be wildly entertaining. On the other, it can evoke the sort of responses they surely didn't intend:

Bless their hearts, they just didn't know any better. Their mamas didn't teach them anything.

Poor things, they spent everything they had on the cruise & couldn't afford any clothes.

Worse--and why I think people get so angry in these threads:

It's disrespectful to others--almost like giving the finger to pax and the staff.

It's selfish and distracts us from enjoying our own experience.

What I find amusing is how many people are willing to draw a dress code line, as long as the line is right below whatever they are wearing.

I fear we will have to rely on peer pressure ......(there will always be the jokesters who dress to insult vice dress to impress)

HAL has surrendered ......most people will still dress "Nice" but I fear my tux will soon look as out of place in the MDR as it does in Denny's today......sigh

I am going to try a carnival cruise and see if I can tell the difference

What's the difference between HAL and Carnival? The gap is shrinking .....

Edited by Pete and Judy

Unfortunately it is not $25 if overweight for us. It is $108 per Kg. When you have several flights that adds up.

Here you go!

1. On travel websites, you can find super-light, tropical-weight long pants.

2. Ditto for lightweight, non-wrinkling travel blazers. Try to get the jacket darker than (or same color as) the pants.

3. In addition to your sandals, which may not pass muster in the MDR, bring a pair of closed-toe shoes--trainers or whatever. Just don't have your only pair brightly colored ones.

4. Wear all these on the plane, instead of adding it to your luggage weight. (Jacket stows in overhead bin.)

5. The tie shouldn't add much weight.

6. Due to their space-age travel fabric, the pants & jacket can be safely washed, if needed, prior to formal night. Cold water!

Now you're all set for formal night.

She can bring a simple black sheath dress--silk is very lightweight--and some dressy flat sandals with slim straps along with good earrings. Done, for remarkably little weight and not crassly overdressed.

What I find amusing is how many people are willing to draw a dress code line, as long as the line is right below whatever they are wearing.

I fear we will have to rely on peer pressure ......(there will always be the jokesters who dress to insult vice dress to impress)

HAL has surrendered ......most people will still dress "Nice" but I fear my tux will soon look as out of place in the MDR as it does in Denny's today......sigh

I am going to try a carnival cruise and see if I can tell the difference

What's the difference between HAL and Carnival? The gap is shrinking .....

Believe me, you'll notice many differences with Carnival. Out of curiosity, we figured we'd give it a whirl & chose their best, newest version, the Sunshine ("Carnival 2.0," I think they called it). Will spare you the litany of horror. Some was due to the poorly redesigned & poorly retrofitted ship. (You know those TV shows about botched plastic surgery? This is the cruise ship version. Beware! Most Carnival ships will supposedly have this facelift.)

But other issues seemed to be simply the Carnival way. A single example: The Lido and all other food sources shut down between 2 and 5 PM. If you're diabetic & may need to eat, better stash some rolls or fruit from lunch. For crying out loud--install a vending machine!

Believe me, you'll notice many differences with Carnival. Out of curiosity, we figured we'd give it a whirl & chose their best, newest version, the Sunshine ("Carnival 2.0," I think they called it). Will spare you the litany of horror. Some was due to the poorly redesigned & poorly retrofitted ship. (You know those TV shows about botched plastic surgery? This is the cruise ship version. Beware! Most Carnival ships will supposedly have this facelift.)

But other issues seemed to be simply the Carnival way. A single example: The Lido and all other food sources shut down between 2 and 5 PM. If you're diabetic & may need to eat, better stash some rolls or fruit from lunch. For crying out loud--install a vending machine!

I have never even read a Carnival Review or looked at a Deck Plan till tonight.....I will be checking them out....being in San Diego, I may look for a cheap 3 day cruise to see first hand

People dress nicely on NCL. Oceania,mCrystal, Regent, etc. and none require a jacket or tie.

Just because that's not require doesn't mean flip flops and bathing suits are worn. That fear is completely unfounded and IMO crying wolf.

Well we once experienced fixed seating with a couples teenage son who wore a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops to dinner every night so it can and does happen. That was on Princess so I have sat in a tux with that before. It lasted the entire cruise. I am not emotional about this. I think you either have formal night or you don't. Doing it half way makes no sense to me.

I have never even read a Carnival Review or looked at a Deck Plan till tonight.....I will be checking them out....being in San Diego, I may look for a cheap 3 day cruise to see first hand

The Sunshine is probably the most disliked ship in Carnival fleet. It's an older ship launched in 1996 as the Destiny. The retrofit really messed up the traffic flow. Carnival has 16 ships that are newer. The newest is the Breeze, which sails out of Miami.

Disclosure: I've never been on a Carnival ship, but you can read all about people's impressions on CC.

We are on the slippery slope..... the race to the bottom continues. I have always advocated formal night and will continue to bring my tux, but my post above will soon start to pop up soon enough...

The proponents of the new casual can't articulate any rational for drawing the line anywhere ......I hate a tux, but a jacket is ok, I hate a jacket, but a collared shirt is ok, I hate a collared shirt, but a t-shirt is ok, I hate a t shirt, swim trunks are are all you need.

I am checking out Cunard for my next cruise. They are arguing on their board as to the appropriateness of removing your jacket while dancing AFTER dinner on formal night.

If anyone argued against a jacket and tie - how can anyone argue FOR a collared shirt?

I love your "creative writing" posts, but I hope this comment isn't another example of that. If you like a formal experience, Cunard is the last line that I know that still offers it. We're just back from a fantastic crossing on Queen Mary 2. I would guess that about 95% of men wore tuxes on formal nights, and the remaining 5% wore dark suits or kilts. Ladies wore gowns or cocktail dresses. There were also a lot of long black skirts with beaded tops. (Real beads on silk, not glitter on spandex.) And nobody changes after dinner. I looked around the theatre on formal nights and I didn't see anyone defaulting to jeans or shorts.

DH replaced his tux this spring in honor of this trip. (He claims it has nothing to do with the shrinkage fairies in the closet :rolleyes: ) He was hoping to take it on our upcoming HAL cruise. But I don't think we'll bother. When I told him about the change in dress code, he said "And you still want to sail with them?" We both love the experience of a real formal night on Cunard and I know we won't find it anywhere else. But HAL offers other things we like, especially the ship size and good itineraries. I'm still looking at itineraries for the winter cruise. And the tux is in its garment bag in the closet, waiting for an appropriate chance to come out and show off.

Never yet sailed on HAL and this means I never will.

It's impossible to have a "formal night" if one couple is in black tie evening dress and the other in Dockers and a polos. HAL should just be straightforward and say Forgedaboudit as did Azamara.

Over on the opposite side of the ideas on dress codes...

Here is a little YouTube clip that Saga Cruises have put on their www so their passengers can expect for Code Dress.

The dress code is required throughout the evening... unless you are staying in cabin or out on deck.

Published on May 31, 2013

If you've been on a cruise before, you'll know all about the different dress codes required for different times of the day. But for those new to cruising (and sometimes even those who have cruised before) knowing the difference between casual and informal can be quite confusing. And that's before you even consider what you need to wear on formal night!

To make things a bit clearer, we've put together this fabulous little video so you'll hopefully come away a bit more informed on your informal's and formals!

Here it is:

" Holiday Fashion Advice What to do on a cruise "

Actually, it is not "NUFF" said until it is said accurately.

HAL is owned by Carnival Corporation as is Carnival Cruise Line, Costa, Cunard, Princess and Seabourn. They are not subsidiaries. They are individual cruise lines.

Well then, I guess the SEC got it wrong: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/815097/000119312510016470/dex21.htm

Google "carnival subsidiaries" and see what you get. :)

On our last cruise we flew to Florida, did a transatlantic cruise, spent a month in Europe and flew home after. DH had slacks, a sports coat and a tie with him. We did the entire trip (7 weeks) with a carry on each so I don't get the overweight luggage argument?

However, it will be nice to not bring the jacket next cruise!

Edited by Viv0828

DW & I always liked having a table for two "along the rail" of the staircase towards the front so we could get a good view of the people coming into the MDR. On formal nights, in years gone by, there were truly some spectacular fashion plates. Lately (last 5 years or so) it's been dark suits and black dresses - you'd have thought it was a wake, not a formal night.

Now, the entertainment value will go back up.

I've always been a stickler for following the rules - without needing the "fashion police" around the decks. I'm still that way. HAL has redefined the minimum standard, and we'll abide by it. I'll still probably wear a jacket, but I'll no longer argue with myself about the need for a tie (turtlenecks are wonderful).

For those of you so insecure, so lacking in self-esteem that the appearance of other people makes you fret while dining I can only recommend that you immediately switch to Cunard, and Queen's Grille suites, to bolster your self-image.

For those of you so insecure, so lacking in self-esteem that the appearance of other people makes you fret while dining I can only recommend that you immediately switch to Cunard, and Queen's Grille suites, to bolster your self-image.

Way to keep it civil :rolleyes:

Glad to se HAL is catching up with the times. The formal nights all came about back when first class cruisers had to dress formally every night after 6:00 PM in public areas. Those times are long gone, thankfully. The "tradition" cruisers talk about, didn't include the masses of us that don't travel in the suites( first class).

The cruise lines changed the "tradition" to include everyone, because there was a demand for it. The demand is gone. While there are still a number of guests that like it, you can't fill the ever increasing number ships with passengers that want it. Most cruisers today aren't even old enough to remember why they have it in the first place. Unless you're in the big cities, you can't find a restaurant that requires coat and tie any more. I live in Cincinnati. It's not big, but average sized. I can't remember the last place that required formal dress.

I think it's interesting that some folks talk about the MDR as some special place to eat. We all know if you want the best meal on HAL you go to the Pinnacle grill, for Le Cirque. HAL never made that formal, because not enough people would pay for it then.

Bottom line. If there was enough demand, I'm sure HAL would not have changed the dress code. Like it or not, they have to fill ships going forward.

I suppose you can still cruise Cunard. There's probably enough traditionalist around for one cruise line to survive.

I always admired that long-time cruiser who went to dinner shod in bunny slippers accompanying his tux. He occasionally posted photos of the slipper wardrobe. Chutzpah!

"Chutzpah"? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Many of us thought that it was his humorous way of dealing with a foot problem, and an inability to wear dress shoes. Since he couldn't wear the appropriate shoes, he went from the ridiculous to the sublime.

Very effective.

DW & I always liked having a table for two "along the rail" of the staircase towards the front so we could get a good view of the people coming into the MDR. On formal nights, in years gone by, there were truly some spectacular fashion plates. Lately (last 5 years or so) it's been dark suits and black dresses - you'd have thought it was a wake, not a formal night.

Now, the entertainment value will go back up.

I've always been a stickler for following the rules - without needing the "fashion police" around the decks. I'm still that way. HAL has redefined the minimum standard, and we'll abide by it. I'll still probably wear a jacket, but I'll no longer argue with myself about the need for a tie (turtlenecks are wonderful).

I love you. :)