Packing Suggestions

I struggle with this too but here are a few that help me...

First, I iron anything remotely wrinkled even t shirts. So being on a ship with no iron sounds like a small hell to me. I am traveling on Oasis in October and will be wearing wrinkled clothes for the first time ever. One thing that brings me solace is that everyone else will be too.

I do lay clothes as flat as possible as opposed to folding them I the suitcase, that helps for shorts and shirts. I also put my husbands dress shirts, pants and my dresses in dry cleaning plastic bags before packing them. That helps too. And wrinkle releaser....there are a few sprays on the market. This too.

I have found that rolling t-shirts, shorts, capri pants and jeans does a good job of keeping wrinkles to a minimum.

Great to hear! I've purchased packing cubes for our upcoming cruise and I'll begin the rolling and packing today!

I do love my collection of packing cubes (I have ebags) and will pack the up soon for our Sept Alaska cruise. Last time there was a thread talking packing cubes, somebody here posted this link about EZ Stax and I checked it out.

Sob! Not available until October, but I can't wait to try these. Mostly I want them for my dresser drawers, but check out how you can use them in a suitcase!:cool: Wonder if they would fit in a packing cube? Then they could go on a closet shelf on the ship…I want to try this!

http://ezstax.com/pages/video-demonstration

Judy

I do love my collection of packing cubes (I have ebags) and will pack the up soon for our Sept Alaska cruise. Last time there was a thread talking packing cubes, somebody here posted this link about EZ Stax and I checked it out.

Sob! Not available until October, but I can't wait to try these. Mostly I want them for my dresser drawers, but check out how you can use them in a suitcase!:cool: Wonder if they would fit in a packing cube? Then they could go on a closet shelf on the ship…I want to try this!

http://ezstax.com/pages/video-demonstration

Judy

Seem great fore the dresser, but I don't want to waste the space in my suitcase. I use the alternate direction lay flat and sequentially fold method. Easy and wrinkle free.

Everyone has their own plan that works for them. :) I roll all my clothes, put them in the largest zip lock bags (not the sold on TV variety)! I do long cruises (20+ days), take one 26" suitcase and everything fits! I never have excessive wrinkling.

I use the dry-cleaner bags for clothes I wear on formal evenings. Capri pants, shorts, t-shirts? eh...I carry a travel size of Downey Wrinkle Release and give 'em a spritz. By the time you sit down a couple of times or by the time you get off the pier, who is really going to notice? It's really not a biggie. I used to carry a travel iron (before they started getting nabbed), then I went to a steamer (which they started nabbing). It's a little "freeing" to know that I don't have to fool with any of that. A wrinkle here or there or occasionally is just not something I worry about. I'm clean. :D

I pack a lot of our clothes on hangers and cover with dry cleaning bags. They offer a cushion of air that prevents clothes from being too wrinkled. Then you just remove from the suitcase and hang in the closet. You can even use a regular size suitcase (not garment) and fold the clothes on the hanger and it works out perfectly and easy to unpack.

Put socks in shoes and underwear and small items in zip lock bags. I also use big black garbage bags to line both sides of the suitcase in case your suitcase is stuck out in the rain at the airport or at the cruise terminal. Put plastic bottles in leak proof zip lock storage bags in case they get crushed or broken.

First of all, you are on a cruise vacation! Relax! Around the ship and on shore excursions, you'll often be wearing pool and beach attire, so who cares if it's wrinkled or not.

For your dining/formal attire atart with ironed clothes. And choose clothing that is "traveler friendly" and "wrinkle resistant". For us guys, I highly recommend the Jos. A Bank traveler collection. Their clothes almost need no ironing at all - wash, dry hang and maybe a slight tough up iron is all that's needed. They ALWAYS have sales - buy one get two free, etc.

Next, when you pack, pack TIGHTLY! Fold or roll your clothing, but make sure it is secured in your luggage so that it can't shuffle and shift around. I use a suitcase that (like most) has straps in the bottom. I stack all my pants in there, and strap them down securely. Shirts go in the lid, laid out neatly, then folded over and again, strapped in tightly. Now the rest of the space in the suitcase is used for underclothing, shoes, etc.

I travel quite a bit for business and doing this, I rarely need to do any ironing at my destination.

For many, many cruises I've taken a steamer with me. Pack it in

your carryon suitcase, so you can explain it if necessary. Mine is

hard plastic...purchased thru HSN Joy Magnano mini steamer. I use

it almost daily at home and while travelling.

Pack the removable top away from the main compartment. I've

never been stopped since I started carrying it. Also the cabin

staff knows it's there as I do not try to hide it in the cabin. It's for

those stubborn creases that do not hang out...and most do.

Good luck.

Downy makes a wrinkle release spray - target sells in their trial size area and I know my supermarket sells it in large bottle in the laundry aisle as well. You do need to spray about an hour before wearing, but it works pretty well. I hate to iron and use it at home as well especially on polo type shirts.

We usually iron everything the night before at the hotel, and try to lay clothes out the best we can in our luggage. Normally when we get our luggage that afternoon onboard, clothes aren't to wrinkly. But we figure we re on vacation and don't really worry to much about it if our attempt didn't work .

We take an empty spray bottle. Just a cheap household one. We give clothes a light spray with tap water, and you would be amazed how so many of the creases relax. It also comes in handy for a quick spray of the hair in the morning.

The water in the taps seems to be well filtered, and we have not had any issues from the water. I would be wary if you have something very special.

Then at the end of the cruise if we don't have room in the suitcase we put it in the bin.

Dry cleaner bags for all hanging clothes, fold over once. In case of wrinkles Bring Spray bottle, fill with water, spray item & hang offending item in the bathroom when you're showering. I use newspaper bags for shoes & packing cubes for lingerie & bathing suits. I also put complete outfits for hotel stays in a packing cube & put on top of things in suitcase