Increased HSC from 1st December 2015

Stratheden

As a first time cruiser, can I ask a basic question? Is HSC added to your bill at final payment time or during the cruise? I would like o use some of my OBC to pay the HSC if possible.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

It's added daily but really doesn't matter as your OBC can be used to offset on-board charges which would include the HSC.

For Pete's sake I wish they would just add it into the cost of the cruise. Heck we the customer is going to pay it one way or the other. I just wish it was up front.

I have been told there is a taxation reasoning why it's not included. I don't pretend to know the mechanics or understand how, but a pretty high-up CFO is the source (not a HAL employee, from a different company that does something similar to the HSC).

Edited by sppunk

Not a deal breaker for me. Thank you for the info. As far as I am concerned the crew deserve it. Won't prevent me from cruising! Hey we are paying 28.00 per day for a resort fee in Paris for 10 days, and we have no car rental! Go figure! At least I know the extra money is going to our crew!

Denise:)

The hardworking crew deserve this. The various promotions are decreasing the base fare per cabin so folks are paying less for the cabin. I have long felt that the HSC should be included be in the base fare so you wouldn't see it at all. But I believe I have read on these boards that there are tax and/or accounting issues preventing that. Too bad.

It may help a bit to put it in perspective. At the new rate, I'm paying about 3.5% tip per person for all of the services. I know the percentage goes up for the less expensive rooms and down for the most expensive but the bargain is still there. It comes to $27 per day for our cabin for two people where I would have paid maybe $10 per day to the room attendant in a hotel. On top of that, I would have paid a porter and valet on arrival, room service at 15% built in charge plus a little something in the folder, 20% in the dining room and maybe something to a helpful concierge before wrapping up the trip with another tip to the valet. So it's still a lot less expensive to pay the HSC even with a little sweetener to your faves on top. Yes, there are many times I don't use the valet, porter or concierge but I always have to eat and sleep. I understand it is a cultural difference between North America and pretty much everywhere else and I respect that. Still, I tip when in Aus and no one declines it. Servers from Aus who flock here in ski season to work in our restaurants don't turn away tips either. So we can adjust!

is going to cause a problem, they shouldn't cruise. Since most cruises are 7 days I doubt it would break the bank. People need to grow up and understand that the crew needs this money to support their families back in the Philippines and Indonesia where the annual wages may be equal to what the passenger makes a week.

I just checked out the 2016-2017 Cruise Atlas and the old prices are in that brochure.

Is there any law regarding advertising incorrect prices - they have just released a 2016-2017 Atlas but have increased the prices from December 2015.

Surely they can only charge the extra for those cruises booked after a certain date.

They certainly have it well hidden - i would have thought that all bookings should be advised of the increase.

In the same brochure is a section that says:

"ACCURACY OF CONTENTS

The contents of this brochure are accurate as of the date of printing and are subject to change at any time at the discretion of Holland America Line. Please refer to our website, hollandamerica.com, for up-to-date information."

I don't mind the increase in the HSC. The bigger issue is why HAL continues to let things like this come out this way rather than sending an email to every TA and PCC and customer whose email they know.

Is this meant to be a surprise to people not on CC?

It literally just hit the website and we're already accusing HAL of some sort of malicious intent?! Wow...

Hmmm... our Nov 29th departure is in just under the wire, and so we "save" .50 p/p per day. For the 7 of us that's a whopping $24.50 for the week. That's less than my daily bar bill.

It's just No Big Deal.

Absolutely agree.

If we assume that the per person cost of a cruise (including HSC, but not excursions) is about $150/day, we are talking about in impact of about 0.33% (one third of one percent). Let's talk about something important like whether the TP should go over or under. ;)

Edited by Landlubber54

For Pete's sake I wish they would just add it into the cost of the cruise. Heck we the customer is going to pay it one way or the other. I just wish it was up front.

I for one (and am probably alone on this) would really rather that it isn't literally added to the "cruise fare". As someone else pointed out it would then occur taxes... minor as they might be. As it is now we just figuratively add it to our cruise cost and let it be. Guess that means that we put it "up front" all by ourselves.

BUT most importantly to us is that we, and so it seems many others, get a chunk of OBC and that more than takes care of our HSC. If it were added into the fare we'd have all this OBC that we'd either have to spend on something we didn't need/want or just lose it.

Guess there's just no way to make all of us happy all the time. :)

Hmmm... our Nov 29th departure is in just under the wire, and so we "save" .50 p/p per day. For the 7 of us that's a whopping $24.50 for the week.

Absolutely agree.

If we assume that the per person cost of a cruise (including HSC, but not excursions) is about $150/day, we are talking about in impact of about 0.33% (one third of one percent). Let's talk about something important like whether the TP should go over or under. ;)

Totally understand the HSC increase and think it is well deserved BUT can imagine many passengers will have trouble with it. After all, I think most posters will recognize that amount of approximately $25 as the amount often being used as the extra luggage cost excuse for not packing formal clothes :rolleyes: Wonder if these same folks will be waiting in line the reduce the HSC or are they writing their letter to HAL as we speak ? ;)

Edited by taxmantoo

yes I have a Dec 2 cruise, final payment was Sept 01. - to compound the issue, I just got the one week sale promotion of HSC paid by HAL - the promo states HSC gratutities to be paid by HAL based on $11.50 per day pp, for I, OV, Verandah, and $12 per day pp for suites.

So now, I am just curious if HAL will cover all the gratuities, or just the $11.50 per day. Have to also wonder if they actually worded that specifically with the increase in mind, or if two different departments were not in sync with their information.

Carol

My money's on internal miscommunication, as we saw with the OBC for shore excursions that turned out to be general OBC because the system couldn't earmark an OBC for one particular purpose.

I've got a cruise booked for January. If I get any communication about the change (I doubt I will), I will post to let other CC'ers know.

I for one (and am probably alone on this) would really rather that it isn't literally added to the "cruise fare". As someone else pointed out it would then occur taxes... minor as they might be. As it is now we just figuratively add it to our cruise cost and let it be. Guess that means that we put it "up front" all by ourselves.

BUT most importantly to us is that we, and so it seems many others, get a chunk of OBC and that more than takes care of our HSC. If it were added into the fare we'd have all this OBC that we'd either have to spend on something we didn't need/want or just lose it.

Guess there's just no way to make all of us happy all the time. :)

THANK YOU for knowing the difference between literally and figuratively!

We usually do have enough OBC to cover the charge. We ended up with a lot of OBC on our last 7-day cruise, and left some money behind! :eek: But our winter cruise comes with no OBC (but got a great price from our TA, so I'm not complaining) and an increased service charge. Ironic, but as my BFF says "part of the cost of travel."

It literally just hit the website and we're already accusing HAL of some sort of malicious intent?! Wow...

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my post. I am just saying that the better way to put out this information is to notify customers affected directly along with a press release. I don't think they hid it in the Before You Go, I think they just did things in the wrong order.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my post. I am just saying that the better way to put out this information is to notify customers affected directly along with a press release. I don't think they hid it in the Before You Go, I think they just did things in the wrong order.

Understood. That was the way it came across so I responded as such. But mistakes and miscommunication can happen in the written word

I don't think this sort of thing needs a press release but a notification to some key players in the industry and an FYI to travel agencies would be a good idea...

As this has been updated online in the last 24 hours though it's fair to assume that could still happen though

Edited by InTheWASide

I have no problem with the increase in HSC. As someone who chooses to cruise, I see the crew work so very hard. I always take a moment to smile at them and say hello and ask them how they are doing. Mostly likely, the next time I encounter them, they greet me and go out of their way and exceed my expectations in service. I always leave extra cash ($1, $2, or $5 for Pinnacle or Tamarind team). It shows them that I am very grateful for their service and that I am just not expecting it. An extra $25 is not going to shy me away from cruising. It just enhances an already great value compared to paying $600.00 per night for a hotel with no meals or entertainment during the high season in Palm Beach.

I think HAL should communicate this information better to their loyal customers.

Understood. That was the way it came across so I responded as such. But mistakes and miscommunication can happen in the written word

I don't think this sort of thing needs a press release but a notification to some key players in the industry and an FYI to travel agencies would be a good idea...

As this has been updated online in the last 24 hours though it's fair to assume that could still happen though

I have no problem with the increase in the HSC BUT.....

Based on how HAL handled the change in the wine policy I doubt we will see emails.

They know who has booked with them. If they can send us emails to book our shore excursions, emails to do our express docs, emails for other junk, then an email should have gone out to all that booked.

Of course, it should have for the revised wine policy too and it didn't.

HAL takes a lot for granted IMO and I am just glad I am on Cruise Critic so I am informed before I get surprised on a cruise ;)

I have no problem with the increase in the HSC BUT.....

Based on how HAL handled the change in the wine policy I doubt we will see emails.

They know who has booked with them. If they can send us emails to book our shore excursions, emails to do our express docs, emails for other junk, then an email should have gone out to all that booked.

Of course, it should have for the revised wine policy too and it didn't.

HAL takes a lot for granted IMO and I am just glad I am on Cruise Critic so I am informed before I get surprised on a cruise ;)

I agree! There's a lot I've learned here before I found out from HAL.

Here's another example. When HAL first returned to the NY-Bermuda run with Veendam, they planned to have a day in Saint Georges before going to Hamilton. We were excited about this and booked very early. Months later, I went to the website to check the timing on the ports, and suddenly there was the little "TR" notation for Saint Georges. I called my TA, and she didn't know about it. Apparently, when they discovered that Veendam couldn't get into Saint Georges, they just slipped the tender port notation on the website and considered themselves done with the issue. Lots of discussion about it here, but I NEVER got an email from HAL about the change.

I don't know that it's intentionally sneaky. It might be that they're sloppy. But sometimes I wonder that if they go very low-key with a change, by the time people notice and complain they can say "Oh, it's been that way for months."

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I think someone at HAL is reading CC or they are now just contacting people or perhaps my PCC is going the extra mile but I just received a phone call from my PCC informing me of the HSC increase for my upcoming cruise. I told him i was reading about it on CC !

That's funny!:cool: We are booked for three cruises next year on HAL, totalling more than 70 days; I wonder if we'll hear anything!