looks like Joiquin will hit HMC

SeaBands

I do so hope Mother Nature hears you, and comes through.

I'm scheduled to fly out of PVD to connect in Philly right about the time the hurricane is coming by.

Providence may escape, but Philly is a lot closer to the action.

I think you'll be fine. This is going more and more away from the east coast. Cape Cod and that area might see some effects of it as a weakening tropical storm Tuesday or Wednesday. Every reliable model has J moving further away from the coast than each previous run.

However it's currently battering the Bahamas - a Cat 4 storm and probably a Cat 5 (I'd think winds are near 140 giving the pressure just released). Praying for all those down there.

Thanks for the inputs so far about going to Canada instead. Now, is anyone familiar with the parking at the Cape Liberty port in NJ - specifically if flooding could be a problem??

When Sandy hit us three years ago, many cars parked at both Cape Liberty and the Brooklyn port were flooded by salt water and totaled. Cars parked at the Manhattan port largely escaped damage because parking there is elevated. We don't know yet if this storm will hit us directly, but if it does I would expect some flooding.

I would advise your sister to pack a water resistant jacket, long pants and a sweater or two just in case they change the itinerary to Canada/NE. Such an itinerary change has been made in the past if Bermuda was in the path of a storm.

Good advice. Looking at this evening's model, it looks like Sat and Sun would be the worst possible days to be sailing NJ to Bermuda.

The 23:00 EDT forecast puts it even further east of HMC with the western side of the cone of probability just touching Cat Island. It is also tracking well west of Bermuda.

That's relatively good news for HMC. In a northbound hurricane, the worst part is the northeast portion near the eye. The worst will miss HMC.

My sister is taking her very first cruise on Saturday, sailing from New Jersey to Bermuda and returning next Thursday (on RCL)! I told her that it could get pretty rough out there, so take seasick pills with her. I am sure RCL will sail around the bad weather, but seas will be rough. Not a good first cruise (likely her last I bet)!

If she bought trip insurance, I'd be checking the cancellation provisions. This would be the perfect time to use it!

Everyone should take precautions, as this is the most powerful hurricane in the past five years..

It's forecast to cause flooding & high tides on the Eastern seaboard of the U.S.even though it will remain offshore..

Hope those in the Bahamas & Bermuda as well as the U.S. are safe..Our thoughts are with you all..

Edited by serendipity1499

If she bought trip insurance, I'd be checking the cancellation provisions. This would be the perfect time to use it!

Funny story - her boss (small business) paid for everyone's cruise but did not take out insurance (I assume everyone had the option to do so). So, those that did buy the insurance cancelled out and others are stuck unless the cruise line cancels (fairly likely in this case I think).

Funny story - her boss (small business) paid for everyone's cruise but did not take out insurance (I assume everyone had the option to do so). So, those that did buy the insurance cancelled out and others are stuck unless the cruise line cancels (fairly likely in this case I think).

I don't think they'll cancel the whole cruise, but I do think it's likely they'll use Canada as an alternate destination.

We sailed out of NYC on a hurricane weekend about 20 years ago. Two ships going to Bermuda went to Canada instead. Sail's suggestion about packing some warm clothes "just in case" reminded my of my mother's first comment when she heard that two ships had changed destination. "But they haven't packed for Canada!"

Horizon went to Bermuda as scheduled, took a hit from a huge wave (dented the bow, launched all the bottles in the duty free off the shelves and a piano off a stage), and arrived late. We were on QE2. We stayed in NYC until 11:59 (I think overnight taxes/fees must have kicked in at midnight) instead of 5 PM. She could go fast and was built to withstand rough weather. We arrived in Bermuda on time with no damage. It was not a smooth ride by any means, but we were the only ship on a run to Bermuda that weekend that made the originally planned port on time--and the captain took every opportunity to remind us of that.

I do so hope Mother Nature hears you, and comes through.

I'm scheduled to fly out of PVD to connect in Philly right about the time the hurricane is coming by.

Providence may escape, but Philly is a lot closer to the action.

From the sound of things today, hopefully your flight should go as scheduled, Ruth. I hope so.

Safe travels.

I think it unlikely the cruise will cancel. They very rarely do that. They are likely busily trying to decide where to send the ship. Of course, PVSA makes it very difficult as they must stop at a foreign port.

Please let us know what happens. I, for one, am very curious. :o

Hope your sister is safe and enjoys no matter where they go.

High stress for someone taking their first cruise. High stress for any of us.

My sister is taking her very first cruise on Saturday, sailing from New Jersey to Bermuda and returning next Thursday (on RCL)! I told her that it could get pretty rough out there, so take seasick pills with her. I am sure RCL will sail around the bad weather, but seas will be rough. Not a good first cruise (likely her last I bet)!

Prayers that her cruise will go well for her.

Tell her to not eat anything greasy.

Eat green apples, toast and tea.

From the sound of things today, hopefully your flight should go as scheduled, Ruth. I hope so.

Safe travels.

Thank you, Sail.

From the looks of the 5:00 PM report today, it looks like it may be a bumpy final approach and take off later, but I'm hopeful.

I am prepared to switch to a Saturday flight if necessary (there were seats last time I checked), but I don't believe that will be necessary.

Safe travels.

I think it unlikely the cruise will cancel. They very rarely do that. They are likely busily trying to decide where to send the ship. Of course, PVSA makes it very difficult as they must stop at a foreign port.

Please let us know what happens. I, for one, am very curious. :o

Hope your sister is safe and enjoys no matter where they go.

High stress for someone taking their first cruise. High stress for any of us.

Sister's cruise on RCL (Liberty) is a 5 day. Rerouted now to Canada (Saint John (SJ)). One sea day out, a day in SJ and then 2 sea days back. She is not very happy about the new routing! I have been to SJ and while it is a nice place, there is not alot to do IMO and certainly not a replacement for 2 days in Bermuda. At least she should be much safer.

I agree that is not an exciting itinerary and sorry for your DS's disappointment.

Nevertheless, hopefully she will get a sampling of cruising and enjoys herself. I was fairly sure they would change the route to Canada but would have thought maybe Halifax or Charlottetown but they may not have been able to accommodate the ship.

Thank you for the update, Dave. It was good of you to share with us.

Safe sailing for your sister and all who sail with her.

I always take a cane for rough weather. Makes me feel safer if nothing else.

I also take a folding cane for rough weather for the same reason. I'm also taking my walking poles on our Viking cruise next July as some of the terrain seems uneven.

Edited by Sue from Canada

[url=

][/url]
Sister's cruise on RCL (Liberty) is a 5 day. Rerouted now to Canada (Saint John (SJ)). One sea day out, a day in SJ and then 2 sea days back. She is not very happy about the new routing! I have been to SJ and while it is a nice place, there is not alot to do IMO and certainly not a replacement for 2 days in Bermuda. At least she should be much safer.

We had a ton of fun on the Reversing Falls on Saint John, NB! Got cold and wet but loved it.

Edited by Boytjie

I look at beach erosion as not something to be minimized. Through the years since we first started going to HMC, about 1998 ?, there has been a great deal of erosion. Each time a storm takes more beach, it saddens me.

On the other hand, I'm certainly glad the caretakers, cabanas, bars, buffet area, shops and particularly the horses are fine.