Booked an 8:30 am from FLL

You will NOT make a 8:30 flight! You won't get off the ship until 8:30 - 9 AM if you're lucky.

Walk off start 6:30am or 7:00AM.............Never seen it starts as late as you mentioned above.

I can see the OP making the early flight.........it's worth a shot. I would try it. You make it you make it, if not just have a backup plan.

Airport is only 3 miles from the ship.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/26.0827011,-80.1181628/Fort+Lauderdale-Hollywood+International+Airport,+100+Terminal+Drive,+Fort+Lauderdale,+FL+33315/@26.0809112,-80.1651584,15z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x88d9aa7ae4c8faf5:0x2ae0339d90a6cbe6!2m2!1d-80.1506022!2d26.0742344!3e0

Jimbo:)

Edited by Jimbo

Walk off start 6:30am or 7:00AM.............Never seen it starts as late as you mentioned above.

I can see the OP making the early flight.........it's worth a shot. I would try it. You make it you make it, if not just have a backup plan.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/26.0827011,-80.1181628/Fort+Lauderdale-Hollywood+International+Airport,+100+Terminal+Drive,+Fort+Lauderdale,+FL+33315/@26.0809112,-80.1651584,15z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x88d9aa7ae4c8faf5:0x2ae0339d90a6cbe6!2m2!1d-80.1506022!2d26.0742344!3e0

That's not true for every ship. Last month on Indy it was 7:30.

With our upcoming cruise on the 19th, we elected to spend one night in FLL rather then take an afternoon flight to Calif and arrive at 10:30 PM. We will leave at 7 AM Nov 3 and arrive in Palm Springs at 11:15 AM. If your ship is delayed for any reason, you will miss the flight. Ship probably won't be cleared before 7 AM.

"Stuff" happens. I have scheduled a 10 a.m. flight on a Monday and feel like I am cutting it VERY close. And I will have priority disembarkation. Will you?

do you have tsa pre? That will save lots of time.

But there CAN be delays.

What kind of cruise is it? What is the cruise before?

I just returned from LAX. I have TSA pre-check (via Global Entry, not that that matters)

I was pulled aside for secondary screening. Took a LOT of extra time.

It can and does happen.

Depends on the ship, walk off started at 7:30am on the Jewel.

[quote name=Merion_Mom;47923506

I just returned from LAX. I have TSA pre-check (via Global Entry' date=' not that that matters)

It can and does happen.[/quote]

I have it through global entry, also-- I find it is very useful for THAT, but TSA pre check has either gotten very slow or sometimes doesn't even exist!!

I hadn't heard or seen anyone have a secondary screening with a global entry card-- I thought it was supposed to avoid that.

"Stuff" happens. I have scheduled a 10 a.m. flight on a Monday and feel like I am cutting it VERY close. And I will have priority disembarkation. Will you?

But there CAN be delays.

What kind of cruise is it? What is the cruise before?

I just returned from LAX. I have TSA pre-check (via Global Entry, not that that matters)

It can and does happen.

Pretty sure this will be our Snowbird Migration cruise. Mom and I have flights leaving somewhere around 1:00 ish. I didn't want to have to rush and worry about missing a flight. You never know how efficient they will be on any given day. People talk about how easy it is to disembark the Oasis/Allure. Well, my Allure cruise had the WORST disembarkation ever. We were in line in the terminal for well over two hours. I barely made my flight that day, and it was an 11:30 ish flight. The lines at airport security were terrible.

Hate to sit in the airport all day. When we have a late flight we use luggage valet (Love it!) and take a cab...There is a great brunch on Sunday's at

American Social on Las Olas Blvd .... but I'm sure you could enjoy the day at the beach or find something to do on Monday. I know "when it's over it's over"

but ...

I have it through global entry, also-- I find it is very useful for THAT, but TSA pre check has either gotten very slow or sometimes doesn't even exist!!

I hadn't heard or seen anyone have a secondary screening with a global entry card-- I thought it was supposed to avoid that.

That would be dangerous. ;) They will always have the right to do a secondary search on anyone. I didn't mind. Everyone tells me that I look like a terrorist. :D

Since they already went through customs leaving the ship, they aren't showing the Global Entry card at the airport; they are just getting Pre because they have the GE info on their frequent flier account.

And people who get Pre *can* get pulled aside for extra screening.

(coming home from Mexico even with the GE line you end up pushing a button...if the button goes red then you get to have extra screening...DH got that the last time)

We were on Indy on a Sat in Jan and were through customs waiting for rental company by 6:50 but that may still cut it close for a taxi and flight. We got lucky we were the first to out customs agent they had four open that day we had purchased less than $200 worth of souvenirs both us citizens so we barely stopped at customs. If you go for it be waiting to walk off well before start time.

If it were me, I'd do the opposite - book the 4:00 and then if you can get to the airport early, see if there is space on the 8:30. At least you know you will get home on one of them.
This is what I would do too!

If it were me, I'd do the opposite - book the 4:00 and then if you can get to the airport early, see if there is space on the 8:30. At least you know you will get home on one of them.

We did this on our Oasis cruise. We had a 1pm(?) flight booked but decided to see if we could fly standby. We ended up on a 10am flight. This was with Delta, which charged $50, but gave us confirmed tickets.

Ding, Ding Winner Chicken dinner. the key of course is the airlines obtuse desire to upcharge anyone who wants to deviate from there prebooked path. 6 years ago this was the absolute answer. That said, it is still the answer because you are not likely to make the 8:30AM flight.

OP, good luck because lord knows you are going to need it.

jc