SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD (Previously "Why are gratuities not included in Fares?")

wannagonow123

I guess if you give a few bucks to anyone on the ship it will make them happy, Tipping them in person instead of increasing your daily service charge for everyone is a self-serving way of acting pompous to increase your ego. .

You guess correctly. Give it a try, it might even make you happy.

I guess if you give a few bucks to anyone on the ship it will make them happy, but most people only give tips to those they interact with. What makes them different then the crew members who swab the decks or paint the railings or oilers in the engine room other then the fact that tipping them in person instead of increasing your daily service charge for everyone is a self-serving way of acting pompous to increase your ego.

Tipping anonymously through increasing your daily service charge for all is a much more equitable and altruistic way to show your genuine feelings for the crew.

I agree that increasing your daily allowance is far more equitable. There are so many people that make it work that you never meet.

We do not tip for room service. We consider this an included dining option so we don't tip for it anymore than we tip in the main dining room every night.

.............. But the room service is simply a routine meal delivery service (on carts) no different than any other dining venue.

We do tip room service since unlike the dining room service staff the room service staff are not part of the gratuities tip pool.

We do tip room service since unlike the dining room service staff the room service staff are not part of the gratuities tip pool.
Or perhaps they are. This has been a question asked for over ten years.
Yes, the room service waiters are included in the auto-service-charge (formerly known as the auto-tip) pool and in fact most of them are waiters in the dining room or Lido at other times of the day.

It seems that until someone produces an official statement from the cruise line definitely saying "yes they're included" or "no they're not included", it is like Schrödinger's cat: They are both included in the tip pool and they're not at the same time.

On NA last month, Room Service was EXACTLY on time every day. They came at 7am. (We specified 7-7:30). A couple times they came 5 minutes early.

Just to be sure, it's almost always been our experience that room service when ordered in advance is on time or a few minutes early. [Never really figured out how they could do that unless the volume of room service requests is much lower than I would have expected.]

The majority of cruise ship employees are neither American citizens nor taxable in the USA. The IRS has no jurisdiction.

IRS does not have jurisdiction over non-US employees of the cruise lines.

However, since the cruise lines are listed on the US stock exchanges they are required to follow US financial regulations, including IRS requirements about how tips are reported in their financials. That does impact how cruise lines handle gratuities.

I guess if you give a few bucks to anyone on the ship it will make them happy, but most people only give tips to those they interact with. What makes them different then the crew members who swab the decks or paint the railings or oilers in the engine room other then the fact that tipping them in person instead of increasing your daily service charge for everyone is a self-serving way of acting pompous to increase your ego.

Tipping anonymously through increasing your daily service charge for all is a much more equitable and altruistic way to show your genuine feelings for the crew.

I am really confused by this statement.

The people who "swab the decks/paint railings, etc." are already covered in the HSC.

These tips are on top of the HSC and yes, one does tip extra (if they so choose) to those that they interacted with that made their cruise special in some way.

The entire purpose of tipping extra is to recognize those that did something for you. Increasing the HSC while a great idea, does not see that the $ go to the person who did the little somethings that you want to thank them for. JMO though.

The people who "swab the decks/paint railings, etc." are already covered in the HSC.
Are you sure about that? I thought the HSC was for just the Hotel Department (excluding officers) and that the engineering/maintenance/mechanical or whatever you call that group were not included. It's the Hotel Service Charge.

Are you sure about that? I thought the HSC was for just the Hotel Department (excluding officers) and that the engineering/maintenance/mechanical or whatever you call that group were not included. It's the Hotel Service Charge.

You are correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That does impact how cruise lines handle gratuities.
In addition some foreign countries tax the income of their nationals even when working abroad, and tax base wages differently from gratuities income.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

You are correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was my understanding that those that do the laundry, varnish the railings, etc were included. Apologies if I am incorrect.

If they are not, then increasing the HSC as the previous poster whom I quoted had suggested would not benefit them.

In addition some foreign countries tax the income of their nationals even when working abroad, and tax base wages differently from gratuities income.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

The only country that taxes citizens working outside their country is the good ole USA. I believe there is also a small African country (Eritrea) that attempts to tax their citizens....but they are not relevant to cruise lines. Technically a US Citizen must still pay income tax (no matter where earned) on tips. There are some provisions in the US Tax Code that allow some exemption of foreign earned income....which can also be offset by taxes paid to another country. (more then most folks want to know).

I might add that plenty of luxury cruise lines do not allow (or encourage) tipping.....as the cruise line simply pays a decent wage.

One can certainly debate the issue of cruise ship tipping, but we think its simply a way for cruise lines to market a lower price for the cruise. We see it akin to an auto dealer advertising the price of a new car....and then later charging the buyer for tires (over and above the advertised price). Or how about an airline charging $100 for the ticket...but then later adding an additional $25 for "tips to the crew." We wonder how many on this thread bother to tip their flight attendants when they fly? We suspect NONE! Why not?

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

The only country that taxes citizens working outside their country is the good ole USA.

Hank

A rather broad statement - certainly a UK resident working overseas is taxed on income. And, simply working overseas, as many UK residents do, does not make them no longer treated as residents.

I believe that principal applies in many countries.

It was my understanding that those that do the laundry, varnish the railings, etc were included
Laundry yes, kitchen(s) yes, tailors/florists/people polishing brass or glass, vacuuming hallways etc, yes. They are all Hotel Department. People painting or repairing anything or running the mechanical things, no. That's my understanding anyway. :)

The only country that taxes citizens working outside their country is the good ole USA.

Nonsense.

• 3 weeks later...

CC: Things not to do on a luxury cruise:

1. Don't tip.

Luxury cruise lines are proud of their all-inclusive policies. If people start tipping above the included gratuities and the crew start to expect the extra cash, it changes the whole system these companies have carefully crafted to keep your cruise hassle-free. Not to mention, you've already paid your share of crew salaries with your hefty fares. If you want to show your appreciation, make a contribution to the crew fund, which benefits all staff onboard, or write a thank-you note.

CC: Things not to do on a luxury cruise:

1. Don't tip.

Luxury cruise lines are proud of their all-inclusive policies. If people start tipping above the included gratuities and the crew start to expect the extra cash, it changes the whole system these companies have carefully crafted to keep your cruise hassle-free. Not to mention, you've already paid your share of crew salaries with your hefty fares. If you want to show your appreciation, make a contribution to the crew fund, which benefits all staff onboard, or write a thank-you note.

Is Holland a luxury cruise line?

No. Holland America never claimed to be a luxury cruise line, either. HAL has never suggested people not tip, that's going way back to the "Tipping not required" time.

In the past they have presented themselves as "premium", but in more recent years that would be debated as still accurate.

Most folks refer to Holland America, Princess and Celebrity as "upscale" (as compared to Carnival and Royal Caribbean). "Luxury" is usually reserved for Seabourn, Cunard, Regent Seven Seas, etc.

Most folks refer to Holland America, Princess and Celebrity as "upscale" (as compared to Carnival and Royal Caribbean). "Luxury" is usually reserved for Seabourn, Cunard, Regent Seven Seas, etc.

So, why are the tipping policies on luxury cruise lines relevant to this discussion?

Will Holland become a "luxury" cruise line if we all stop tipping beyond the HSC?

So, why are the tipping policies on luxury cruise lines relevant to this discussion?

They aren't.

I find that when a person attempts to derail a thread, it's usually best to ignore their post(s) and keep with the topic. I'm not always successful at that, but it remains a good idea.

They're not. You asked, "Is Holland a luxury cruise line?" The answer to your question is, "no."

Good day everyone,

I just searched "gratuities" past posts as I never read them before...

Here is my problem:

On our last 28-day cruise, we paid our gratuities as "everyone else" as it is part of cruising and that $$ goes to the crew. Well, what did I find out on the second last day of our cruise from an employee at the "front desk"? 20% of the cruisers do opt out of tipping. I was :mad:. Why did my husband and I paid $700 US (we are Canadian so it means $1,000 CA) more than someone who opted out and did not receive anything else in return.

Later on, we talked to a Canadian couple about my discovery and he informed me he had opted out but gave a very generous tip to the crew who looks after my room"... I did not anything more...

Now I am confused. I surely don't want to "screw" the employees but I don't want to pay more than the 20% of the passengers that opt out of paying their gratuities. Why is HAL not including gratuities in their fare so EVERYONE pays the same AND the employees get their full wage. Please, don't answer "that way, the crew doesn't have to pay a portion to the agency that has found them work with HAL...". Maybe HAL should change their contract with these agencies if they care about their employees. Our Australian friends who cruises always opt out of paying gratuities as they told us it is built in their price cruise in Australia. I believed them but now I don't know if it is true.

Please, don't take me wrong. I just want conformity. Is it too hard to ask?

The Canadians!:cool: