Celebrity Cruises Swaps Formal Nights for Evening Chic

LauraS

Look at the photo with the Celebrity press release. Nobody in the photo is over 40. Celebrity wants to change its image from old folks with tux cruises. No offense meant.
There is a marketing rule originally coined for the automotive industry that "you can sell a young person's car to an old man, but you can't sell an old man's car to anyone " Frankly this is universally true and that includes the cruise industry . Why would they accurately represent their actual customer base ? You may protest but as a society we all prefer younger and prettier . Edited by richstowe
Meant to title post Who Wants to Cruise With Old Farts (Like Ourselves)

Just take "Evening Chic" or "Smart Casual" with you. X hasn't enforced Formal night in at least a year, so you have nothing to worry about.

I'm with all you you. But be prepared, others will not be happy.

I just wish this change took place now and not waiting until Dec. We will have just completed our cruise.

No one will check. Wear what you want.

:D :p

So why do they have to be designer jeans? Is someone from X going to check the label :p? And who is going to determine if your sundress is too flirty :eek: :rolleyes:?

And I got none and am booked and paid for a January 2016 cruise. I knew about it because my TA sent me an email.

If you have a cruise booked there was an email blast this morning. I got three (three cruises between now and January).

Business casual will work every night you are on board.

I guess this will mean shopping for my husband, he has NOTHING, AND I MEAN NOTHING that is anywhere near "chic".

He's got business casual - which works for smart casual, and he's got business simi formal - IE sports coats, and Business Formal - IE 3 Piece pin striped suits, but nothing chic.

So maybe we'll get him looking good, or maybe not. He's a big guy and at least with the jacket he looked polished.

But he is excited because he doesn't even need to pack a jacket anymore. I'll probably still wear my gowns, they are long but understated, none of my blingy stuff fits anymore.

I used to be a die hard formal girl, but I guess I'll have to go with the flow if I'm going to be young and hip like Celebrity wants me to be.

There is a marketing rule originally coined for the automotive industry that "you can sell a young person's car to an old man, but you can't sell an old man's car to anyone " Frankly this is universally true and that includes the cruise industry . Why would they accurately represent their actual customer base ? You may protest but as a society we all prefer younger and prettier .

Interesting and true comment above. PLUS, many other insightful views, statements and opinions.

This move and subject has received cheers and jeers!! Personally, I don't mind getting dressed up with a dark business suit. BUT, when doing long, involved trips, such as last year to Australia and New Zealand, not having to pack and deal with as much "stuff" makes things easier and less costly.

In the words of Bob Dylan from 1964 . . . The Times They Are a-Changin'.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 125,903 views for this posting.

Does this mean that we won't have to see those ridiculous Scottish kilts outfits anymore?

I am sure you didn't mean this as an insult to Scottish people.

In reality, under the new rule, if one wanted to wear a tux, kilt, or formal military uniform, no one in the crew would stop them. Why would one want to stop another from dressing up if they wanted to? Some people enjoy dressing up, while others might do so for a special occasion, such as an anniversary.

I am fine with this change and welcome it - less to pack and carry for flights and especially if we have pre- or post-cruise stays. There may be nights I miss the dress-up but not on days we are busy all day in port and I am looking forward to a relaxing evening. I prefer they did not specify "designer jeans" though because of the jeans variance that we may see on Evening Chic nights.

I wonder if our dress preferences have to do with how often we have the opportunity to dress up and on dress codes throughout our careers. Many of us had to dress in suits for our long careers and now many retirees may enjoy a less formal approach. In today's work world, it seems that "work" clothes are more casual than in the past, especially with "work from home" or "casual Friday" days and maybe that is why many like to dress more formally on occasion.

On one of our roll calls, someone suggested that those wishing to dress formally meet to sit together in a dining venue and so far several have responded that they are game for that. This may be a good suggestion for other roll calls.

Does this mean that we won't have to see those ridiculous Scottish kilts outfits anymore?

here we go . what right does one person on a glorified boat trip have to judge anothers outfit. I wouldnt wear a kilt but dont care if others do. If this new code gets rid of the self-righteous then that would be a good result IMHO

Interesting. I haven't read all the posts so someone may have already mentioned this. Seems like their sales of photos and spa treatments will go down. Why get my hair and nails done to dress up in my designer jeans? I certainly don't need cruise photos made wearing something that I'd wear everyday anyway. Just a thought.

And IMHO I think people will always do just a little less than what they have to. See what they can get away with so to speak. If they could get away with a shirt and tie for men and a church dress for ladies on formal night, then they can probably get away with leggings or jeans and a T shirt for Evening Chic. Pretty soon it will come to the point of you can wear your shorts or bathing suit cover up in the dining room. I am OK with being a bit less formal, but it will go down hill. People used to dress for dinner every night of a cruise (before my time) and then it was formal/ informal and casual. They they got rid on informal. Now formal. The standards just keep dropping.

Pajama party in the dining room anyone?? lol

You've hit the nail on the head. To be sitting in a tux or a gown when all others around you are dressed for McDonald's just doesn't cut it.

I have suggested that DW and I dress to the nines and go to a fine restaurant but she wisely demurred, saying we'd stick out like sore thumbs. Same goes for a cruise ship.

Agreed, people can wear what they like now.

BTW, for those who thought the dress standards were not policed properly on formal nights before, can you imagine what will happen with 'Evening Chic'.:eek:

How rude! At least the Scots have a traditional dress to wear in order for them to be proud of their heritage. As a US citizen I would have thought that would be something you would be proud and patriotic about. I bet you wouldn't say anything if one of your fellow countrymen wore their military uniform with pride would you?

Nothing more handsome than a man in a tux. I will miss seeing that.
Sail with us and you'll still see it, plus jackets on less formal evenings.

After renting tuxes for 11 years on RCI we decided to purchase our own for our first Celebrity sailing as the cost of hiring was far more expensive than on RCI. So we bought tuxes, plus all the necessary accessories (shirts, studs, waistcoats or vests as I believe my US friends call them, ties, cummerbunds etc) and intend to use them in the future too.

As for packing additional, I don't agree as for 2 nights you have 1 outfit as opposed to packing 2 alternatives. So in effect I have 1 less outfit to pack!

[quote name=

On one of our roll calls, someone suggested that those wishing to dress formally meet to sit together in a dining venue and so far several have responded that they are game for that. This may be a good suggestion for other roll calls.[/quote]

Boy, do I not like that idea for any number of reasons

:cool:

There is a marketing rule originally coined for the automotive industry that "you can sell a young person's car to an old man, but you can't sell an old man's car to anyone " Frankly this is universally true and that includes the cruise industry . Why would they accurately represent their actual customer base ? You may protest but as a society we all prefer younger and prettier .

I don't know a lot of young person's cars I would want, but I know of a whole lot of old men's cars I'd love to have.:cool:

Sail with us and you'll still see it, plus jackets on less formal evenings.

After renting tuxes for 11 years on RCI we decided to purchase our own for our first Celebrity sailing as the cost of hiring was far more expensive than on RCI. So we bought tuxes, plus all the necessary accessories (shirts, studs, waistcoats or vests as I believe my US friends call them, ties, cummerbunds etc) and intend to use them in the future too.

As for packing additional, I don't agree as for 2 nights you have 1 outfit as opposed to packing 2 alternatives. So in effect I have 1 less outfit to pack!

I own two tuxes, got the second because the first started looking a little dated, but I stopped wearing a tux a few years ago. I moved to a suit. Which was what about every one else was wearing. And the last couple of years to a blazer. The tux and accessories, putting on the studs, I didn't feel like the effort was worth it for a made up event on a cruise. And then wearing all that stuff the rest of the evening. Probably won't wear a tux on a cruise again unless I do another Cunard cruise. QM2 was lovely, educational, and stuffy. I will happily wear a button dress short this December on Silhouette.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Business casual will work every night you are on board.

Business casual will work, of course, but who says he looks great in it.? I used to love seeing him and a tux or his pin striped suit. I would love to see him in something evening chic, but he doesn't own anything that could be considered chic, so maybe we'll go shopping and look for something hip and trendy, since that seems to be the new groove on a Celebrity cruise.

This announcement is music to our ears. We gave up on formal night a decade ago. We used to just do the buffet on formal nights or a specialty restaurant as I didn't want to stand out not have a suit or tux on. We always have a few outfits that fit the new suggestions and these clothes are so much easier with which to travel. Thanks for listening Celebrity.