Celebrity Cruises Swaps Formal Nights for Evening Chic

LauraS

I just bought 2 fancy dresses for our cruise on Dec 6. l'm still gonna wear them. I may look out of place to some, but I know my husband will be "inspired" by these nice evening duds. Worth it to me. Dress for success, whatever that might mean to you personally.

Good one, wow them.:D

I think everyone should be able to wear what they want. After all, everyone needs to be comfortable, and to be able to pack light.

I am fine with this change and welcome it - less to pack and carry for flights and especially if we have pre- or post-cruise stays. There may be nights I miss the dress-up but not on days we are busy all day in port and I am looking forward to a relaxing evening. I prefer they did not specify "designer jeans" though because of the jeans variance that we may see on Evening Chic nights.

I wonder if our dress preferences have to do with how often we have the opportunity to dress up and on dress codes throughout our careers. Many of us had to dress in suits for our long careers and now many retirees may enjoy a less formal approach. In today's work world, it seems that "work" clothes are more casual than in the past, especially with "work from home" or "casual Friday" days and maybe that is why many like to dress more formally on occasion.

On one of our roll calls, someone suggested that those wishing to dress formally meet to sit together in a dining venue and so far several have responded that they are game for that. This may be a good suggestion for other roll calls.

I think everyone should be able to wear what they want. After all, everyone needs to be comfortable, and to be able to pack light.

With that mentality anything goes. Great. Unfortunately, you're going to get what you hoped for. Glad you'll enjoy it, I won't.

And you're from Richmond. Oy vey, the world is going to end soon:p

That's mostly a sarcastic post. I know it didn't come through very well. If I had my druthers, there would still be a "Formal" night which was enforced to the letter of the definition.

However, from what I see, dinner on X is going to go to a "anything goes" level.

I mean, most folks do want to be comfortable doing what THEY want to do.

With that mentality anything goes. Great. Unfortunately, you're going to get what you hoped for. Glad you'll enjoy it, I won't.

The world is ending because someone else is happy to have a more casual dress code on

a particular cruise line ? Nish Gaferlech. ;)

We did Murano last week on RF and our group already does "Evening chic" (well I think so anyway) - love the new concept as this is our style of cruising already

Can't wait for it to start.

12191897_10153256732048325_1672859824805317257_n.jpg?oh=27531a5da1b5c511ec9f4be0e3f30364&oe=56BE784D

think the group look fantastic EXCEPT all people are smiling and look like they are having a good time - is this acceptable [emoji12]

Edited by LA_Design

Well I got my notification from Celebrity as shown below:

Evening Chic is your night to shine and will be featured once on cruises 6 nights or fewer and twice on cruises 7 nights or longer.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress

• Skirt, trousers or smart jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Trousers or smart jeans with a shirt or sweater

• Optional jacket or blazer

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

• Skirt, trousers or jeans with a casual top

• Trousers or jeans with a sleeved top

We are introducing Evening Chic so that you can be glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way, however if you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should. Evening Chic is about giving all our guests the opportunity to enjoy the evenings in a way that they feel comfortable and relaxed.

So, as you can see from the text highlighted above, I can still wear my Tux if I wish, and I will, because I can assure you I won't be wearing jeans in the MDR, Ocean View Cafe maybe, but MDR, never. I don't consider jeans to be 'Elegant' in any shape or form.

What's hilarious is that so many of establishments here in the UK do not allow entry to people wearing jeans these days to ensure a certain standard of dress and that extends to footwear too. Something I applaud.

Edited by peteukmcr

Well I got my notification from Celebrity as shown below:

Evening Chic is your night to shine and will be featured once on cruises 6 nights or fewer and twice on cruises 7 nights or longer.

• A cocktail dress

• Skirt, trousers or smart jeans with an elegant top

• Trousers or smart jeans with a shirt or sweater

• Optional jacket or blazer

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

• Skirt, trousers or jeans with a casual top

• Trousers or jeans with a sleeved top

We are introducing Evening Chic so that you can be glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way, however if you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should. Evening Chic is about giving all our guests the opportunity to enjoy the evenings in a way that they feel comfortable and relaxed.

So, as you can see from the text highlighted above, I can still wear my Tux if I wish, and I will, because I can assure you I won't be wearing jeans in the MDR, Ocean View Cafe maybe, but MDR, never. I don't consider jeans to be 'Elegant' in any shape or form.

What's hilarious is that so many of establishments here in the UK do not allow entry to people wearing jeans these days to ensure a certain standard of dress and that extends to footwear too. Something I applaud.

unfortunately, there will still be people who will be unhappy and would want to push the boundaries even lower.

Living in Australia I have never seen any restaurant which bans jeans (except with rips or tears, a rule which just seems to be in place to avoid offending older folks). I dare say there are many people in the UK who live in areas where this has never been an issue for them either.

Celebrity is an international cruise line catering to people from many different cultures and socioeconomic groups. Banning a form of dress which is considered acceptable dinner attire in most parts of the world would seem to be a poor business decision.

The reaction of my wife surprised me when I informed her of the change. She, who would not think of leaving the house with a hair out of place, merely said "OK, it'll be easier to pack" There is no question that she will dress elegantly on the Elegant Chic night because that's the way she dresses every night out, but now I have a question: why bother having any special night ? What purpose is served? Why not just tell people to dress in what they consider to be suitable clothes every night and let it go at that? No need to assign names to certain evenings.

The reaction of my wife surprised me when I informed her of the change. She, who would not think of leaving the house with a hair out of place, merely said "OK, it'll be easier to pack" There is no question that she will dress elegantly on the Elegant Chic night because that's the way she dresses every night out, but now I have a question: why bother having any special night ? What purpose is served? Why not just tell people to dress in what they consider to be suitable clothes every night and let it go at that? No need to assign names to certain evenings.

Exactly, :(.

The Evening Chic appeals to me, hopefully it will spread to the other lines. Ye gods, I hear the Tuxedo devotees on Cunard and P&O UK shuddering in their high gloss evening dress shoes. LOL.

Edited by NSWP

Having Evening Chic nights will encourage those who wish to dress more formally the opportunity to do so, thereby creating a semi formal ambience in which the participants can feel more comfortable while still allowing others not to feel out of place or to feel comfortable in their perceived ambience.

I'll have to remember that the next time we go to the UK although if we are walking 10 miles and eating in route, our shoes are going to be practical, walking shoes that allow us to walk 6-20+ miles that day.

In the US there are regional differences. In our area that is primarily a rural, small town, and beach-resort area, people dress casually including often in jeans even at nice restaurants. We often know when someone is from out of town by the way the person dresses. When we lived in the Washington DC area, it was more common to dress up. When I went to visit my aunt in Maine (another small town/popular tourist area), she would tell me not to dress like I did in "DC" as people would know I was a tourist.

Celebrity is an international cruise line catering to people from many different cultures and socioeconomic groups. Banning a form of dress which is considered acceptable dinner attire in most parts of the world would seem to be a poor business decision.

Excellent observation and very nicely stated.

Agree. I, too, believe it's silly to have 2 nights of "Evening Chic", and the balance as "Smart Casual". Especially when their definition of each is so close.

I'll have to remember that the next time we go to the UK although if we are walking 10 miles and eating in route, our shoes are going to be practical, walking shoes that allow us to walk 6-20+ miles that day.

Yes, it's a point to remember when visiting dining establishments in the UK. Even rural venues can ask that visitors wear appropriate clothing when wanting to dine indoors. Not all, but I have seen venues remind customers not to wear dirty boots or shoes indoors. With regard to jeans, I'm referring to bars, clubs and restaurants in the city.

I’m completely shock to read this news and even more shock to read the comment of the people welcoming this change.

Celebrity is supposed to be a Luxury cruise line and we pay premium $$ to have the luxury experience.

Now if they skip formal night and I have to sit at the table with people dressed for MC-Donald’s, the whole concept of luxury goes completely out of the windows!!!

As somebody already mention there are so few occasion in life to dress up and cruising was one of the last places you could do that. I cannot believe people really welcoming this change. If you cannot afford to buy a nice tux/suit or a gown, then you should not really be thinking of cruising on a Luxury liner!!!

If people want to wear jeans and t-shirt they should look at Carnival not a luxury liner (even though few years back, I did a carnival and people would dress up for formal night even more than what have seen recently in celebrity).

Even the wording used by celebrity for the communication make me really upset, you can clearly see they used very poor language which again does not really make sense in a luxury liner.

If celebrity want to attract the unsophisticated crown and remove the luxury, they also should downgrade their prices.

I sincerely hope that at least on the 14nt celebrity Eclipse the majority of people will still dress up for formal night, surly I will.

P.S. we are 38 years old

I’m completely shock to read this news and even more shock to read the comment of the people welcoming this change.

Celebrity is supposed to be a Luxury cruise line and we pay premium $$ to have the luxury experience.

Now if they skip formal night and I have to sit at the table with people dressed for MC-Donald’s, the whole concept of luxury goes completely out of the windows!!!

As somebody already mention there are so few occasion in life to dress up and cruising was one of the last places you could do that. I cannot believe people really welcoming this change. If you cannot afford to buy a nice tux/suit or a gown, then you should not really be thinking of cruising on a Luxury liner!!!

If people want to wear jeans and t-shirt they should look at Carnival not a luxury liner (even though few years back, I did a carnival and people would dress up for formal night even more than what have seen recently in celebrity).

Even the wording used by celebrity for the communication make me really upset, you can clearly see they used very poor language which again does not really make sense in a luxury liner.

If celebrity want to attract the unsophisticated crown and remove the luxury, they also should downgrade their prices.

I sincerely hope that at least on the 14nt celebrity Eclipse the majority of people will still dress up for formal night, surly I will.

P.S. we are 38 years old

Here Here. I do not object to them changing their policy but to do it three weeks before my cruise when gowns have already been bought is a disgrace. I was not even informed. What am I to do now, go out and buy a pair of designer jeans then I won't look out of place. Of course I won't be sailing with Celebrity again

as I prefer a ship with more class which is what celebrity used to have. I thought Azamara was brought in to appease the casual brigade there's no difference now.