Celebrity Cruises Swaps Formal Nights for Evening Chic

LauraS

Overall, I really do see chaos ensuing. You'll probably be seeing people wearing "dressy" t-shirts and jeans trying to get in and not understanding why they're turned away. :rolleyes:

Maybe now they will turn away men dressed in a Tux or a dark suit.

Have to say I am disappointed. I cruise for the romance and wearing a long dress is part of that romance. There are so few opportunities in life to wear a long dress now but I will continue to do this even if I am the only one in order to keep my view of romance and cruising alive.

Have to say I am disappointed. I cruise for the romance and wearing a long dress is part of that romance. There are so few opportunities in life to wear a long dress now but I will continue to do this even if I am the only one in order to keep my view of romance and cruising alive.

Don't worry, you won't be the only one. Depending on the itinerary even cruiselines like Carnival continue to have high participation in formal nights despite the fact that they dropped the formal requirements and replaced it with "cruise elegant".

Interesting that when I told my 14 year old daughter about this change she also told the friends she had made on our last cruise (American and Canadian friends). They were ALL shocked.... they LOVE dressing up, seeing everyone in their finery etc etc.

:cool:This news from Celebrity is disappointing. Part of the thrill of cruising was doing something more elegant than what you would do anyother time. I understand that things change, but everytime they do, they again lead to something worse. Next will be shorts and t-shirts allowed. I know that I could still wear my dinner jacket, but standing out in a crowd is not what I would want to do. Will it change my attitude towarde cruising? Probably not. It sure will change what I pack for my Royal cruise inb Feb. They will be right behind.:cool:

:cool:Celebrity has just dropped its standards. I used to say that Celebrity is what Royal will be when it grows up. No more. Part of the thrill of cruising is doing something which you normally don't do. Dressing up twice per cruise is exactly that. OR WAS. I know that I still could wear my dinner jacket, but standing out in a crowd is not what I tend to do. Some things change. They always do. BUT--when they do, they change some more. Prepare for shorts, t-shirts and baseball caps in MDR down the road. Maybe the caps will have to be worn forward:cool:

Higgy - I agree with you, there is a difference between smart casual and chic, whatever that may be......if you can get in the MDR with jeans on during regular "Smart Casual" nights ( can you really ?!), you shouldn't during "Chic" nights.....

Kevin - Celebrity shouldn't allow that kind of dress during regular "Smart Casual" MDR nights, why should they even consider it during "Chic" nights?

People who are on this forum with any regularity are aware that standards have changed......they are also aware that enforcement of dress policies at MDR is highly irregular/ haphazard/ insert your own word for "nonexistent."

Really, for guys, is it that hard to look like the State Farm guy for "Smart Casual" nights and a little dressier for "Chic" nights ( say, maybe, a dress shirt, long OR short sleeve, with dress belt and shoes....and maybe a tie ?)...

I have read the "State Farm guy" comment several times now. So the standard for "MODERN LUXURY" seems to be Jake from State Farm ...unbelievable.

Edited by existentialtraveler

:cool:Celebrity has just dropped its standards. I used to say that Celebrity is what Royal will be when it grows up. No more. Part of the thrill of cruising is doing something which you normally don't do. Dressing up twice per cruise is exactly that. OR WAS. I know that I still could wear my dinner jacket, but standing out in a crowd is not what I tend to do. Some things change. They always do. BUT--when they do, they change some more. Prepare for shorts, t-shirts and baseball caps in MDR down the road. Maybe the caps will have to be worn forward:cool:

I agree, but you forgot pajama bottoms and flip flops.

I think that the majority will still choose to dress up and those who don't will at least drag out their best pair of jeans and newest polo shirt. Pretty much the way Blu already is I imagine.

I think you're in for a huge surprise.:rolleyes:

Interesting that when I told my 14 year old daughter about this change she also told the friends she had made on our last cruise (American and Canadian friends). They were ALL shocked.... they LOVE dressing up, seeing everyone in their finery etc etc.

I'm not at all surprised at that. Dressing up for dinner is one of the high points for my granddaughter. There is no way she'd wear pants - designer or otherwise - to dinner for smart casual night, let alone formal night.

Little girls have always enjoyed playing dress up, putting on mommy's lipstick and jewelry and clunking around in her high heels. Little boys? No so much. :)

A good change IMO, but does not really affect us because of booking Aqua Class (Blu) and using the other Specialty Restaurants (SR) on both Celebrity and Princess. However, I wonder how it will affect the business in the SRs? Formal nights are usually a stampede to the SRs so folks could avoid bringing formal clothes. The SRs may take a big dollar hit because of this change.

Little girls have always enjoyed playing dress up, putting on mommy's lipstick and jewelry and clunking around in her high heels. Little boys? No so much. :)

LOL. Tell that to my little nephew who dressed up as Anna (Disney's Frozen) for Hallowe'en this year.

My husband is also a fan of dressing up (though not as Anna) and I'm the one who'd show up in something casual. But he rocks both the average guy and the well-dressed man look.

Can't resist weighing in to bust a few stereotypes. :D

I am very pleased with this decision. This saves many pounds of clothing that needs to be packed. Just the black dress shoes remaining in the closet is a huge plus. Also, for us this will not lower our cruise experience only make it better. We are in our sixties and have been over dressing up for years. Kudos for Celebrity, this dress code and the smoking policy will keep us coming back.

Dressing up at all is only fun when those around you do the same.

EDIT: and for the record, we're both in our late 20s

You've hit the nail on the head. To be sitting in a tux or a gown when all others around you are dressed for McDonald's just doesn't cut it.

I have suggested that DW and I dress to the nines and go to a fine restaurant but she wisely demurred, saying we'd stick out like sore thumbs. Same goes for a cruise ship.

So that's the kicker, what exactly are "designer-looking" jeans ? Who decides ?

Personally I think they should exclude jeans on a night where the dress code is intended to be different than the usual smart-casual ( otherwise why bother with a different code )

Exactly. I think if they'd just left jeans out of it, it would have been fine. Especially as it is so vague. I have 20$ jeans (I spend my money on cruises, not clothes. :D) that look nicer than some "designer" jeans. Are they checking labels? :rolleyes: Anyway, bringing jeans into it is just begging for people to cross the line (hey I'm wearing a $200 t-shirt with my designer jeans, that must be OK, right??)

As far as the emails others mentioned not getting, I got one yesterday morning for my cruise next May, although I didn't see it until now, since I get so many emails from cruise lines that I don't read them anymore.

Look at the photo with the Celebrity press release. Nobody in the photo is over 40. Celebrity wants to change its image from old folks with tux cruises. No offense meant.

I've noticed that browsing their website as well, which confused me the first time....I had thought I was a little young for Celebrity based on what I'd heard, and the pictures make me think I'm too old for it. :confused: lol

Edited by fluffysue