Celebrity Cruises Swaps Formal Nights for Evening Chic

LauraS

The trouble with that is that, lately, we've been dressed up and the folks at the table next to us considers formal to be turning his baseball hat around instead of wearing it backward. So, we have mixed feelings on this. Last year, we were on the Oasis for Christmas and there were still a few in tuxedos besides me on Christmas Eve. We'll be on the Eclipse this Christmas and, as of today, I will be leaving the tux (and my red Christmas bow tie) in the closet.

In that case, I guess that we had our hopes up for nothing anyway. We'll still do a tie/dress number, but I'll probably leave the jacket at home.

Thank you for the insight.

:D :p

So why do they have to be designer jeans? Is someone from X going to check the label :p? And who is going to determine if your sundress is too flirty :eek: :rolleyes:?

All of my designer jeans have the Kirkland label.:) I will also volunteer to be the checker for sundresses

All of my designer jeans have the Kirkland label.:) I will also volunteer to be the checker for sundresses

Maybe Costco can change the labels to "Le Kirkland.", that should do it. By the way did you know they are the biggest wine seller in the world.

In that case, I guess that we had our hopes up for nothing anyway. We'll still do a tie/dress number, but I'll probably leave the jacket at home.

Thank you for the insight.

As much as I do miss the days when, on formal night, the evenings were just that - formal, it may not make a lot of sense on a Caribbean cruise to dress up the way that we used to. Yet, like so many things, new is not always better.

Edited by ricka47

As much as I do miss the days when, on formal night, the evenings were just that - formal, it may not make a lot of sense on a Caribbean cruise to dress up the way that we used to. Yet, like so many things, new is not always better.

But many times it is.

Looks like most posters on here like the change.

Edited by gsb

:)I was very happy to get the email this morning.

I think that by saying "designer jeans" is just their nice way of saying, neat, clean, and no rips, although the ripped look can run into hundreds of dollars depending on what brand. I doubt they will be looking for the brand on your backside! Hmm lol ;)

I'm kinda sad . With the effective elimination of a dress code and the virtual elimination of smoking , what will this mean for these sort of threads on CC ? What will be left to fight about . Thank God for chair hogs and roving hordes of kids . :D

I'm kinda sad . With the effective elimination of a dress code and the virtual elimination of smoking , what will this mean for these sort of threads on CC ? What will be left to fight about . Thank God for chair hogs and roving hordes of kids . :D

We can fight about who gets to sit at the Captain's table?

;)

I have several sport coats but I don't have a flirty sundress. Or any sort of sundress. Might be exactly the sort of individualistic chic they're going for though...

Great news. I can now rearrange what I need to pack as long distance air travel is included in our South America cruises so weight is always a consideration. :p

Ditto. This is the worst thing to ever happen to the Celebrity CC forum. We need to start a new tipping thread.

Great news. I can now rearrange what I need to pack as long distance air travel is included in our South America cruises so weight is always a consideration. :p

Trying to pack and stay with in the air lines weight restrictions has always been a challenge. So glad for the change.

I guess this will mean shopping for my husband, he has NOTHING, AND I MEAN NOTHING that is anywhere near "chic".

He's got business casual - which works for smart casual, and he's got business simi formal - IE sports coats, and Business Formal - IE 3 Piece pin striped suits, but nothing chic.

So maybe we'll get him looking good, or maybe not. He's a big guy and at least with the jacket he looked polished.

But he is excited because he doesn't even need to pack a jacket anymore. I'll probably still wear my gowns, they are long but understated, none of my blingy stuff fits anymore.

I used to be a die hard formal girl, but I guess I'll have to go with the flow if I'm going to be young and hip like Celebrity wants me to be.

I guess this will mean shopping for my husband, he has NOTHING, AND I MEAN NOTHING that is anywhere near "chic".

He's got business casual - which works for smart casual, and he's got business simi formal - IE sports coats, and Business Formal - IE 3 Piece pin striped suits, but nothing chic.

So maybe we'll get him looking good, or maybe not. He's a big guy and at least with the jacket he looked polished.

But he is excited because he doesn't even need to pack a jacket anymore. I'll probably still wear my gowns, they are long but understated, none of my blingy stuff fits anymore.

I used to be a die hard formal girl, but I guess I'll have to go with the flow if I'm going to be young and hip like Celebrity wants me to be.

Great attitude :). Just get him a coloured shirt or two and he's set ;)

Just a little bit sad about this, I liked how so many people would get dressed up and lend the ship a distinguished ambiance.

Do you really think it will change that much?

If it does it will only be because there is a large number of people who only dress formally because they feel obliged too. I think that the majority will still choose to dress up and those who don't will at least drag out their best pair of jeans and newest polo shirt. Pretty much the way Blu already is I imagine.

If it does it will only be because there is a large number of people who only dress formally because they feel obliged too. I think that the majority will still choose to dress up and those who don't will at least drag out their best pair of jeans and newest polo shirt. Pretty much the way Blu already is I imagine.

I think it will change, you only have to look at the difference between formal nights and non-formal nights on Cunard. a marked difference in effort and ambiance, even though a jacket is still required for the non-formal nights.

If it does it will only be because there is a large number of people who only dress formally because they feel obliged too.---- Pretty much the way Blu already is I imagine.

And I believe Luminae since the inception of the suite dining room.

Well my January boat trip on eclipse us not boding well.

Booked through a US travel agent and had to make final payment in US$ last week and guess what - the £ dropped considerably- oh well thats the chance you take.

last month boss lady 'encouraged' me to buy a new dinner suit for the cruise in the original (prince of wales) blue hue . guess what Cel. announce the end of formal . Oh well it might see the end of the CC fashionistas getting irate on CC [emoji15]

just hope they dont take tanquerary 10 out of the premium alco package -that would be bad [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

Well my January boat trip on eclipse us not boding well.

Booked through a US travel agent and had to make final payment in US$ last week and guess what - the £ dropped considerably- oh well thats the chance you take.

last month boss lady 'encouraged' me to buy a new dinner suit for the cruise in the original (prince of wales) blue hue . guess what Cel. announce the end of formal . Oh well it might see the end of the CC fashionistas getting irate on CC [emoji15]

just hope they dont take tanquerary 10 out of the premium alco package -that would be bad [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

At least you will be cruising and you can be one of the bet dressed.