Labadee: No tip, no chairs

Hmm, that's interesting. I tried getting a deal from the Dragon's Breath zip line guy but no dice. Later in the afternoon that day, after seeing they were not at all busy with no one in line for a long time, I walked up and said, "looks like you're not very busy today, can you do half-price?" He smiled and said, "same price". Oh well, it was worth a shot :) I wouldn't want to get them into trouble or annoy them with haggling if the price was not at all negotiable.

Our group also got a deal at the Aqua-park and we didn't ask for it.

Yep. That explains it. I suspected those Clamshells would have a charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The clamshells are free - at least they have always been free on my 4 trips there. They might pressure you, or make you think otherwise, but they are just like a lounger

I disagree with this. If you don't want to or have the money to tip, just do it yourself. If you let them do it knowing that they are expecting a tip that you know you're not going to give, that is dishonest IMO. No different than someone who pulls their tips on board on the last night after a week's worth of service has already been rendered.

Much Different, as RCI's Offical Labadee map clearly states and I quote:

"Lounge Chairs: Just as on board , lounge chairs on Labadee are complimentary. They cannot be reserved and guest are asked to refrain from offering payment for the chairs."
In fact you should not tip as it is clearly against RCI's wishes. Edited by FLACRUISER99

To each their own. I don't have a beach. I like the beach stops. The ports in the Caribbean are all shopping and Diamonds International. I go to the Caribbean ports for beaches, snorkeling and other water activities.

I have been out of town. After 53 cruises, 40 in the Caribbean I have seen all those ports many times over. Taken many private tours too. Now I just want to go to the beach in the Caribbean. [emoji1]

Then you should know that there is far more to these islands than what you said in your first post to me so I don't understand your comment at all.

Much Different, as RCI's Offical Labadee map clearly states and I quote: In fact you should not tip as it is clearly against RCI's wishes.

Complaints about this stuff are not rare around here at all. RCI asking their customers to help get the problem under control is ok but it is RCI that needs to get their employees under control. It is RCI's responsibility to fix this. It is their compound and their employees. If RCI really cared I think the problem would be fixed fast. Try walking off the ship at the end of the cruise when RCI is not sure how your seapass account is getting paid and see how far you get. Now that is something that RCI actually cares about. Now, if RCI reads some of the above posts where it seems like their potential income is being diverted into their employees pockets it might grab their attention.

And they need to get the dude out of the bathroom because it creeps me out having someone hang out in there with their hand out. They can send someone in every half hour or so to clean things up and restock if necessary.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Complaints about this stuff are not rare around here at all. RCI asking their customers to help get the problem under control is ok but it is RCI that needs to get their employees under control. It is RCI's responsibility to fix this. It is their compound and their employees. If RCI really cared I think the problem would be fixed fast. Try walking off the ship at the end of the cruise when RCI is not sure how your seapass account is getting paid and see how far you get. Now that is something that RCI actually cares about. Now, if RCI reads some of the above posts where it seems like their potential income is being diverted into their employees pockets it might grab their attention.

And they need to get the dude out of the bathroom because it creeps me out having someone hang out in there with their hand out. They can send someone in every half hour or so to clean things up and restock if necessary.

I agree with the bathroom guy. I don't mind tipping the beach chair guy, but I don't like my personal space invaded, and a guy watching me pee definitely qualifies. :-)

Not to bring up another related topic, but I haven't seen it in this thread yet. I also know people who eat lunch towards the end of the lunch time will sometimes be approached by the band or other locals and asked to get some food off the buffet and give it to them. It happened to me once and I have seen others discuss it at various times on CC. Hopefully RCI will crack down on this as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, based on everything we've read about Labadee we plan to skip it. We really wish it wasn't on our schedule.

We always enjoy Labadee so you may be making a mistake if your decision is based on what you read here. I know I could be wrong but I'd at least check it out. Either way have a great cruise.

Surprised to see this. Sounds like a bad apple in the bunch.

We have been to Labadee three times and always find it enjoyable.

We tend to set up in the same spot at Columbus Cove. The guys offer to set up chairs for us and we give them a couple of bucks.

Much Different, as RCI's Offical Labadee map clearly states and I quote: In fact you should not tip as it is clearly against RCI's wishes.

I fully concur that RCCL says not to tip these folks. Then again, EVERY single person here knows they are expecting a tip when they get a chair for you, regardless of what RCCL's wishes are. All I'm saying is don't lie about it. As the guy reaches to get a chair for you, be honest and say I don't have any tip money for you. If he still gets the chair down and sets it up for you, fine. If not, do it yourself. Don't wait until the work is done and then tell the person no tip is coming.

And depending on how one wishes to interpret the passage, the chairs (themselves) are complementary. It states nothing about moving the chairs. So if you do as I do, you see a pile of chairs and you move what you need to your desired location. No tip involved, chair is free. You ask someone to move it around for you IMO, you should tip them or tell them PRIOR to the work that you are not tipping them and then if they still move it, all is good. If they don't, move it yourself.

Edited by Who Cares?

Much Different, as RCI's Offical Labadee map clearly states and I quote:

"Lounge Chairs: Just as on board , lounge chairs on Labadee are complimentary. They cannot be reserved and guest are asked to refrain from offering payment for the chairs."

In fact you should not tip as it is clearly against RCI's wishes.

You used the word "clearly" twice. IF RCI wanted to actually be clear they could have said "guests are asked to refrain from tipping the chair butlers." RCI could have been clear; they were not.

You used the word "clearly" twice. IF RCI wanted to actually be clear they could have said "guests are asked to refrain from tipping the chair butlers." RCI could have been clear; they were not.

Exactly. Those guys have had their hands out for dozens of years and RCI is well aware of it. They do nothing to stop it.

Edited by Aquahound

I fully concur that RCCL says not to tip these folks. Then again, EVERY single person here knows they are expecting a tip when they get a chair for you, regardless of what RCCL's wishes are. All I'm saying is don't lie about it. As the guy reaches to get a chair for you, be honest and say I don't have any tip money for you. If he still gets the chair down and sets it up for you, fine. If not, do it yourself. Don't wait until the work is done and then tell the person no tip is coming.

And depending on how one wishes to interpret the passage, the chairs (themselves) are complementary. It states nothing about moving the chairs. So if you do as I do, you see a pile of chairs and you move what you need to your desired location. No tip involved, chair is free. You ask someone to move it around for you IMO, you should tip them or tell them PRIOR to the work that you are not tipping them and then if they still move it, all is good. If they don't, move it yourself.

Yeah, and they also say don't reserve loungers, and don't reserve seats in the theater, etc. And we know how that goes.

Even as a server, if someone does not tip you, you are not allowed to say anything. It's part of the job.

My problem is with any employee who expresses annoyance about no tip or amount of tip. Really, too bad. Get another job if you don't like the one you have.

Even as a server, if someone does not tip you, you are not allowed to say anything. It's part of the job.

My problem is with any employee who expresses annoyance about no tip or amount of tip. Really, too bad. Get another job if you don't like the one you have.

Not allowed by whom?

Edited by time4u2go

The bloke in the bathroom always strikes me as creating a job that's not needed and then wanting us to pay him:confused::confused:

We always enjoy Labadee so you may be making a mistake if your decision is based on what you read here. I know I could be wrong but I'd at least check it out. Either way have a great cruise.

Between the overpriced attractions, the beach so rocky that people advise wearing water shoes and the beggars, I don't see the appeal. We have beaches on Lake Erie that sound nicer than this.

Royal says don't pay for it. So no conversation needs to be had regardless. Have you been to labadee?

Wow, I really don't get why anyone who can spend thousands of dollars on a cruise can have a problem with such a few $'s. I'm happy to not have to drag a chair off a pile and across the sand to find a nice shady spot. Giving someone a couple of bucks to do it for me is a great deal, IMHO. And when it comes to the bathroom attendant, really is 50 cents or a dollar going to impact your lives? Maybe that is the only job opportunity they have. I'm lucky to be me and not them and I don't resent any of the tips I hand out on vacation.

Wow, I really don't get why anyone who can spend thousands of dollars on a cruise can have a problem with such a few $'s. I'm happy to not have to drag a chair off a pile and across the sand to find a nice shady spot. Giving someone a couple of bucks to do it for me is a great deal, IMHO. And when it comes to the bathroom attendant, really is 50 cents or a dollar going to impact your lives? Maybe that is the only job opportunity they have. I'm lucky to be me and not them and I don't resent any of the tips I hand out on vacation.

For me, it's not the money. It's the principal of someone being rude and demanding money, and if you don't like their attitude, them telling you to do it yourself. It's their job, plain and simple.

Would you be okay walking into a restaurant and the server demanding a tip up front before they helped you?

As far as the bathroom guys, honestly I don't have a problem with them although I do prefer to get my own paper towel. I live and fly out of Charlotte quite often so I appreciate these guys. Airport bathrooms (at least the guys bathroom, I don't know about the ladies) is one of the most disgusting places in the world. These guys work hard to keep it clean, running in stalls to clean them for the next person after someone just walked out. It's a horrific job and I have no issues throwing him a few bucks every time I go.

The difference is they're nice and don't demand a tip before they do their job. They do it, they smile and hope for a tip in return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Royal says don't pay for it. So no conversation needs to be had regardless. Have you been to labadee?

Twice. Most recently last month (love that you don't have to tender anymore......first time was in 2005). I move my own chairs even though the guy is saying he will get them. I know what they are expecting and I'm not paying it so I do my own work.

I agree, one does not have to have a conversation. But why not have one unless you feel you are doing something underhanded? What's wrong with being upfront with your plans unless one has something to feel a bit ashamed about. And then those that feign "I forgot my wallet" I call total BS on that.

Edited by Who Cares?

I spend thousands of dollars on a cruise because I see the value in it and it's something I can't do myself. I don't spend a dollar to tip a guy to move my chair because I don't see the value in it and I can do it myself. If I were too fragile to move my own chair then I might see the value in it.

Wow, I really don't get why anyone who can spend thousands of dollars on a cruise can have a problem with such a few $'s.

It's just a petty annoyance like most of the gripes on Cruise Critic. It's not the sort of thing that would stop me from going.

Between the overpriced attractions, the beach so rocky that people advise wearing water shoes and the beggars, I don't see the appeal. We have beaches on Lake Erie that sound nicer than this.

Certain beaches are rocky. Columbus Cove is nice smooth sand both in and out of the water.

Edited by Aquahound