Nice jeans for dinner in MDR?

tbmrt

I like to wear a jacket/tie or suit on some nights because I like the way I look. Admittedly, I sail Celebrity, in part, because I think (but do not know) that more passengers embrace the legacy of cruising and dress for dinner - somewhat formally on some nights, and still a bit "dressy" on others. It would bother me when the line would not enforce "no shorts, t-shirts, or flip-flops" in the MDR. I switched to AQ years ago, and it has not been an issue there, and I don't think the new policy will be a problem. I am totally fine if people are in jeans, and I probably will wear a very dark pair of jeans with a jacket myself on the last night (and maybe the first night as well).

I hope the new dress code doesn't encourage people to wear torn jeans, or feel that because jeans are allowed, it means it's ok to,wear flip-flops or crocs instead of shoes in the dining venues. i don't think people that are hoping others don't dress down (to an extreme) are allowing others to negatively impact their vacation, nor is it wrong to look for a certain "standard." People that stay at Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons chains expect a certain service level, quality of the rooms, amenities, and the general "style" of fellow guests - it's part of the brand image. If Celebrity lets people take the dress code too far in the casual direction, I do think they risk alienating some portion of their customer base. I am sure they did the research and know the risks, and they are making the business decision they think is right.

...and you took my reply back to you seriously? I believe most of us if not all of us who have replied to this thread have read this link when it was first published a couple of weeks or so ago.

Of course I took you seriously. Why would I think you would want to jerk me around? You aren't that ornery are you?

Of course I took you seriously. Why would I think you would want to jerk me around? You aren't that ornery are you?

I wasn't jerking you around. Sounds like you are the ornery one! Chill out and enjoy your evening.

Edited by davekathy

I like to wear a jacket/tie or suit on some nights because I like the way I look. Admittedly, I sail Celebrity, in part, because I think (but do not know) that more passengers embrace the legacy of cruising and dress for dinner - somewhat formally on some nights, and still a bit "dressy" on others. It would bother me when the line would not enforce "no shorts, t-shirts, or flip-flops" in the MDR. I switched to AQ years ago, and it has not been an issue there, and I don't think the new policy will be a problem. I am totally fine if people are in jeans, and I probably will wear a very dark pair of jeans with a jacket myself on the last night (and maybe the first night as well).

I hope the new dress code doesn't encourage people to wear torn jeans, or feel that because jeans are allowed, it means it's ok to,wear flip-flops or crocs instead of shoes in the dining venues. i don't think people that are hoping others don't dress down (to an extreme) are allowing others to negatively impact their vacation, nor is it wrong to look for a certain "standard." People that stay at Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons chains expect a certain service level, quality of the rooms, amenities, and the general "style" of fellow guests - it's part of the brand image.

******************************************If Celebrity lets people take the dress code too far in the casual direction, I do think they risk alienating some portion of their customer base. ***************************************************************

I am sure they did the research and know the risks, and they are making the business decision they think is right.

I agree with you 100%,

One thing is for certain, this is no longer "modern luxury". Whatever it is now is up for debate, but it ain't luxury.... YMMV

:rolleyes:

Sorry, but if luxury means being comfortable then this dress code is very much about "modern luxury".

Mast Grill or Aqua Spa Cafe, I often grab a burger, hot dog, or sandwich and eat it on the go.

In the buffet I often grab a plate of cheese and walk and take it away.

Strange - both of these 'restaurants' have tables and chairs adjacent to the serving areas. At least on the boats I have been on [emoji32]

You intimated that people who dressed for church are judgmental, which in today's world is the worse possible sin, even worse than smoking, apparently.

This guy God (nice) had a parable in which the master of the house threw out guests who did not dress appropriately for a wedding feast. Many are called, He said, but few are chosen, so I think this guy God has made things quite clear his preference for church attire, less so for dressing on a Celebrity ship:D

don't think I did... 🤔

What I said was it maybe says something about someone that judges their fellow church goers buy what they dress like... I didn't label any group of people other then the ones that judge...

As for this God dude we will have to leave that one for people to make their own mind up on... I mean other then seeing it written in books etc what proof do we really have any of that stuff ever happening...[emoji15] I've heard of books about a Spider-Man dude but not sure that all actually happened just because it's written down! [emoji57]

What I do know is the current/future dress code set out by the hosts/owners of celebrity cruises state as... Not hearsay... Not guess work... Not a story... But as an actual real life true fact that jeans area indeed truly acceptable in all dining areas of their ships all of the time...

I do hope there's at least 3. Otherwise, how are you going to put them on :eek:?

Very true - thanks for pointing that out [emoji33]

I have also noticed a rip or tear . Some have been disguised with a zip others buttons. [emoji32]

Edited by LA_Design

So, now that the "jeans" debate has been hashed and rehashed...what next....

YES, lets bring ............"THE CHURCH" .........into this.........give me a break.

I agree,

I must say I know these threads can tend to go a little of course somewhat sometimes but I was a little surprised the guilty poster decided to go down that road... I mean what the f... Has going for dinner on a cruise ship got to do with going to church!

Maybe their prayers wasn't answered as celebrity didn't change their minds!

Or they realised it wasn't just a dream/nightmare?!

Anyway back to the threads reason for existence... I love wearing my nice (imo) jeans & a shirt for dinner so here's to celebrity and bring on the "chic evenings" on the reflection in March as I'm sure it will be another great cruise on a great cruise line [emoji483][emoji4]

I'm hpguessing that most of the people who are excited & welcoming of jeans in the MDR are the same people who wear jeans in church or shorts & sundresses.

I've been wearing jeans to church since the 70's. I wouldn't wear jeans on any cruise line. Not even a free style cruise line. I wonder what that says about me? However I not opposed to others wearing jeans in the MDR.

So, now that the "jeans" debate has been hashed and rehashed...what next....

YES, lets bring ............"THE CHURCH" .........into this.........give me a break.

The ironic thing about this debate is that jeans have not been an issue on this board for five years or so. Just about everyone knows that they are allowed on Celebrity ships and have been for several years. The only difference now is that they threw in the word Designer, whatever that is. The discussion should be on what designer jeans are not whether they are allowed because they have been for a long time.

I've been wearing jeans to church since the 70's. I wouldn't wear jeans on any cruise line. Not even a free style cruise line. I wonder what that says about me? However I not opposed to others wearing jeans in the MDR.

I'd say that says you're a nice person, That knows what you like and like to enjoy yourself on a cruise without letting things you can't control bother you... [emoji4]

If only everyone thought the same way... But then again cruise critic would be very quiet without dress code threads! [emoji16]

It says that there are no pearly gates for you.:( Don't you remember, the Bible says so. "Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a person who wears jeans to church to enter the kingdom of God.” :)

Jeans are perfectly acceptable, and very common, at the church that my wife attends. And they do not have to be chic.

So I guess that means we are 'good to go' with wearing our jeans in the Celebrity MDR.

We feel so much better about doing so with that sort of confirmation.

Edited by iancal

Maybe because they are run by elitist fools who are out of touch with modern society.

To be honest I'm not even sure what a country club is. It sounds like the sort of place where Dan Ackroyd went to play squash with his appalling friends in Trading Places.

That is very unfair calling the country club set a bunch of elitist fools . When one of my sisters was in high school she used to wait tables at a country club . The cream of society Doctors, lawyers , judges , politicians , big executives.

They could not have been nicer to this little 17 year old girl from a working class family. They wanted to take her to their beach homes, Florida, out on their boats , even for rides in their big expensive cars .

It was like a dirty old man Fresh Air Fund :)

Hmmm, I think the original "Designer" of JEANS was LEVI STRAUSS...

According to WIKIPEDIA,

Levi Strauss was a German-American businessman of German Jewish descent who founded the first company to manufacture blue jeans. His firm, Levi Strauss & Co., began in 1853

WOW....this is fun....

Hmmm, I think the original "Designer" of JEANS was LEVI STRAUSS...

According to WIKIPEDIA,

Levi Strauss was a German-American businessman of German Jewish descent who founded the first company to manufacture blue jeans. His firm, Levi Strauss & Co., began in 1853

WOW....this is fun....

Good to know. I've never worn jeans on a Cruise and I probably never will. Just my choice. Those that want to their choice. Go for it. However if I ever did wear jeans on a Cruise they would either say Harley Davidson or Levi on them. Great look at a great price.

Edited by davekathy