Pool Water

Cabansail

A question I wanted to ask but never found a person who may know the answer.

When we were in the pool the water seemed very saline. It seemed to have a higher salt concentration than normal sea water. I felt very buoyant and seemed to float higher than I would normally expect.

I am assuming that the water for the pools is the reject water from the desalination plant. It would make sense as it would have to be filtered already prior to being processed. After the fresh water has been extracted the salinity would be increased and that would act as a sanitising agent. So I am assuming that this reject is routed via the pools before being dumped.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

When we were in the pool the water seemed very saline. It seemed to have a higher salt concentration than normal sea water. I felt very buoyant and seemed to float higher than I would normally expect.

I am assuming that the water for the pools is the reject water from the desalination plant. It would make sense as it would have to be filtered already prior to being processed. After the fresh water has been extracted the salinity would be increased and that would act as a sanitising agent. So I am assuming that this reject is routed via the pools before being dumped.

the pool water on Radiance is salt water from the sea that is circulated at sea and treated in port

It must be that when i am in sea water it's in the surf. It seemed to be a lot more buoyant than normal, hence I assumed it was desalination reject.

I wonder why they don't use it as it's already filtered etc.

Anyway thanks for the info.

No, its not.

Salt water pools can be operated in two modes. If the ship is more than 20 miles from shore, it can be operated in "flow through" mode, where sea water is pumped from the ocean constantly into the pool, and the excess overflows back to the sea. This water does not have to be chlorinated.

If the ship is within 20 miles of shore, a salt water pool must either be drained, or changed over to "recirculation" mode, where the same water is pumped from the pool, through filtration and chemical dosing equipment, and back to the pool. This water is chlorinated to higher levels than most shoreside pools, 2-4ppm.

Two problems with evaporator reject water. If it is coming from an evaporator, the water would be at about 120-140*F. The other problem is that even though the salinity would be higher than sea water, salinity is not a sanitizing agent. Many people think that salt water pools are not chlorinated, but in fact they are. Ship's pools are chlorinated as required (based on conditions mentioned above) per USPH regulations, and salt water pools ashore simply use the salinity in the water instead of chlorine tablets. Chlorine generators use the salt in water (NaCl) into hypoclorous acid (HClO) and sodium hypochlorite (NaClO), which are the sanitizing agents.

A ship could use reject water, if it was cooled, and they used a chlorine generator, but I'm not sure that the chlorine generators are precise enough to meet the requirements of USPH that require continual monitoring of the water, and continual adjustment of chlorine level.

I think what you are feeling is the change in surface tension that chlorinated water gives you, more than increased buoyancy.

And I say the salt does indeed make you more buoyant. From Padi class:D

I love it not to mention what it does for my usually dry skin, it feels like silk at the end of the cruise.

We use salt water/chlorine generator in our pool. Would never use chlorine tablets.

They do filter the sea water to get the scuzzies out, no worries.

And I say the salt does indeed make you more buoyant. From Padi class:D

I love it not to mention what it does for my usually dry skin, it feels like silk at the end of the cruise.

We use salt water/chlorine generator in our pool. Would never use chlorine tablets.

They do filter the sea water to get the scuzzies out, no worries.

Of course salt water has more buoyancy than fresh, I was taking the OP's comments to mean he felt even more buoyant in the pools than in the ocean, thinking the pools had a higher salinity.

I have always noticed a lot of salt. It's so bad I have to wear goggles in the pool because the salt burns my eyes so bad. However, on our liberty cruise a couple of months ago, my eyes didn't burn at all. Even with the goggles I sometimes get the water running into my eyes, but I didn't feel a thing this last cruise.

I have always noticed a lot of salt. It's so bad I have to wear goggles in the pool because the salt burns my eyes so bad. However, on our liberty cruise a couple of months ago, my eyes didn't burn at all. Even with the goggles I sometimes get the water running into my eyes, but I didn't feel a thing this last cruise.

Liberty has fresh water pools.

Do all pools on Royal use salt water? I am wondering especially about the Allure. Having only sailed on Disney so far, we are used to fresh water pools. Thanks!

The newer ships (Freedom class and newer) have freshwater pools. Except for the Beach Pool, the pools on Allure are fresh water.

Of course salt water has more buoyancy than fresh, I was taking the OP's comments to mean he felt even more buoyant in the pools than in the ocean, thinking the pools had a higher salinity.

Not being critical, I know you are aware of that in your line of work:D Just trying to be silly!

However the hot tubs contain chlorine. They must as I have ruined a swim suit or two!

I believe they use Bromine in the hot tubs...I don't like it very much. But I may be wrong about that. Lots of peeps think it's a petri dish, but I do know they clean and refill them almost every night. THat's why there are showers around. I just rinse off after every dip.

They must as I have ruined a swim suit or two!

Same thing happened to wife last year on Navigator. It was a brand new bathing suit. I was more pissed than her when she told me how much the damn thing cost!

My first cruise my suit hung near other clothes and the chlorine ruined the garment next to it as well as the suit....I bring the old suits so I don't care what happens to tgem....that salt/chlorine duo is a skin and eye problem for me but I still won't miss it...

I believe they use Bromine in the hot tubs...I don't like it very much. But I may be wrong about that. Lots of peeps think it's a petri dish, but I do know they clean and refill them almost every night. THat's why there are showers around. I just rinse off after every dip.

Bromine and chlorine are just about identical.