Questioned by Security on the Navigator

[quote.

I am sure the whole situation was stressful, but I really don't think they could have said anything to you before they did because if you and your SO were involved, they had no way of knowing how you would have reacted to being "caught". A sorry for the inconvenience would have gone a long way, however.

Reacted? Like what---RUN? Jump ship?

I think it could have been handled differently by leaving a telephone message on our cabin telephone or sending a note to the cabin, asking us to go to Guest Services at our convenience or before the end of the day. Being stopped as we entered the ship and a false sense of urgency insinuated does not seem appropriate to me. I would have preferred to be clean and dressed during the "interview" rather than covered in sunscreen in a wet bathing suit and sarong and carrying a beach bag with wet, sandy towels. Yes, they were very professional at the time they were causing unnecessary stress and worry. And I believe my SO should be advised if there is a possibility of an unresolved, permanent report on his account.

When you write to someone at Royal's headquarters I'd certainly recommend that you clarify the issue of your SO having something remaining on his account or not. Hopefully they would have accepted your explanation as the truth. If not, he may be placed on a list of those who are no longer allowed to sail with Royal. (I don't know if Royal and other companies share their lists with each other.) I know someone who was put on such a list. He had, foolishly, gotten into a fight on a cruise. Nearly a year later he was preparing for another cruise when he was told he would not be permitted to sail with Royal again. He had gone all the way from making a deposit through final payment without knowing he wouldn't be able to cruise. If you plan to ever cruise again with Royal you most definitely want to get this straightened out.

My SO and I just returned from the Navigator (December 6-12). We are from Florida. I am 63 and still working (in the law enforcement field), he is 71 and retired. We look like a typical older Florida couple.

On Thursday, we arrived at Labadee around 10:00 a.m. We got off the ship fairly early and asked the Security Officer at the foot of the ramp about a wheel chair for my SO, as he has trouble with long walks. He had a cane with him to assist with the inclines in parts of Labadee. He was pushed from the ship to the tram stop; I walked. We took the tram to Columbus Cove, enjoyed the beach and lunch, took the small tram from Columbus Cove back to the circle and the larger tram back to the entrance. He was pushed from there to the ship. Nice day, nothing out of the ordinary or exciting.

When we returned to the ship about four hours after we left, my card was "dinged" in normally, but my SO's triggered a different sound. An employee from Security was called over and told us that there was a message for us in Guest Services and we needed to go there immediately. We headed right up to GS, knowing that only his daughter would have known to call the Navigator and leave a message, and thinking that it must be an emergency for her to call the ship. She and her family were camping (with their ATVs) the day we left, so we were even more worried.

We arrived at GS and a supervisor (not sure if he was from GS or Security) was called. He led us to a back room. My SO asked him what had happened while we were walking, and he said to wait until we were in the room. By then we were thinking that something really bad had happened if we needed complete privacy to be told.

We were led to a tiny (possibly 5' by 5') room with a small desk and two straight chairs, with a woman seated at the desk. It was obvious that the room was not used to work in.

The woman (whose name we were too rattled to ask for) told us to sit down and said, "What can you tell us about the situation on the beach this afternoon?" My SO asked her what she meant, and she told us that a golf cart had been taken on Labadee by a guest, Security had reviewed photos, and my SO met the description of the suspect. When I talked to somebody else at GS the next day, he read the report and filled in some of the details for me. Apparently a male guest had asked the driver of a golf cart for a ride and was told that the golf cart for only Pinnacle and suite guests. The driver then exited the golf cart and immediately the guest jumped into the golf cart and took off with it.

My SO stated that he was not involved in the "situation", and we voluntarily explained what we had done/where we had been that afternoon. They accepted our explanation, but offered no apologies or further explanation. As we left, I asked if they had a list of other guests to question, and the man said that he had to look at photos and find somebody else. Apparently they saw SO's picture and stopped there. His last name begins with "C", so possibly they searched in alphabetical order.

We were both very relieved that there was no family emergency and the idea of SO absconding with a golf cart was ludicrous, so we found the incident amusing at first. Later, the offensiveness hit us. Telling us there was a message for us at Guest Services and letting us worry about a family emergency seems like overkill; surely there were other ways to have us report to Guest Services. We didn't dwell on the situation and continued to enjoy our cruise, but I fully expected to find a note in our cabin later, with apologies for the inconvenience and appreciation for the immediate response. No, there was never a note or further communication. I asked at GS if the suspect had been identified late the next (last) day, and was told that the report appeared under SO's account, the suspect had not been identified and the investigation was continuing.

Use this exact post, document it, and send to Royal. This is total crap for an investigation & poorly handled. They need to either make the investigate stick or don't bother. There's no in between. If they had the slightest inkling you weren't the identified, there should have been no contact. As it was, you're correct in that an apology follow up was due.

When you write to someone at Royal's headquarters I'd certainly recommend that you clarify the issue of your SO having something remaining on his account or not. Hopefully they would have accepted your explanation as the truth. If not, he may be placed on a list of those who are no longer allowed to sail with Royal. (I don't know if Royal and other companies share their lists with each other.) I know someone who was put on such a list. He had, foolishly, gotten into a fight on a cruise. Nearly a year later he was preparing for another cruise when he was told he would not be permitted to sail with Royal again. He had gone all the way from making a deposit through final payment without knowing he wouldn't be able to cruise. If you plan to ever cruise again with Royal you most definitely want to get this straightened out.

That is one of my concerns. I sincerely hope that I am overreacting, but the entire thing was so strange that I don't know what to think.

Use this exact post, document it, and send to Royal. This is total crap for an investigation & poorly handled. They need to either make the investigate stick or don't bother. There's no in between. If they had the slightest inkling you weren't the identified, there should have been no contact. As it was, you're correct in that an apology follow up was due.

No, far too long. It needs to be edited as there is a fair amount that really has nothing to do with the situation.

Isn't the idea of an investigation that they ask questions, get the stories of suspects, etc? You don't make an investigation stick; the investigation is how they find out who took part in something.

I cannot imagine thinking anyone involved in investigating a crime needed to apologize to me. I'd rather have them move on quickly and find the person.

I posted that I am 63 years old and working in the law enforcement field and that my SO is retired. I am not an LEO (how many 63-year-old female LEOs do you know?). My SO was not an LEO. There was no discussion during the "interview" about anything other than what we did (and what the suspect did) in Labadee that day. If I remember correctly, somewhere around Day 4 I mentioned to our table mates in the MDR where I worked and what my position is, when disclosure of occupations and home towns was part of the group conversation. There was no reason to share that information during the interview. In the 15 years I have worked there I have NEVER attempted to use my employment to obtain favors or influence events/decisions.

I have never made rude comments about any of the posters on CC, either, but I am sorely tempted tonight.

Edited by ZoeyVictoria

I posted that I am 63 years old and working in the law enforcement field and that my SO is retired. I am not an LEO (how many 63-year-old female LEOs do you know?). My SO was not an LEO. There was no discussion during the "interview" about anything other than what we did (and what the suspect did) in Labadee that day. If I remember correctly, somewhere around Day 4 I mentioned to our table mates in the MDR where I worked and what my position is, when disclosure of occupations and home towns was part of the group conversation. There was no reason to share that information during the interview. In the 15 years I have worked there I have NEVER attempted to use my employment to obtain favors or influence events/decisions.

I have never made rude comments about any of the posters on CC, either, but I am sorely tempted tonight.

I don't blame you for taking offense, someone who wasn't there and doesn't know you is presuming to know what happened. :rolleyes: But hey, he's a business owner and Caucasian and still gets gaffled.......:D

Edited by bouhunter

I don't blame you for taking offense, someone who wasn't there and doesn't know you is presuming to know what happened. :rolleyes: But hey, he's a business owner and Caucasian and still gets gaffled.......:D

Thank you, that helped me regain my sense of humor :D I thought very carefully before starting a thread that could be construed as a complaint or criticism of RCI, and prepared to be verbally assaulted by the "RCI cheerleaders". That did not happen, and I am very appreciative. Until tonight, anyway :rolleyes:

Isn't the idea of an investigation that they ask questions, get the stories of suspects, etc? You don't make an investigation stick; the investigation is how they find out who took part in something.

I cannot imagine thinking anyone involved in investigating a crime needed to apologize to me. I'd rather have them move on quickly and find the person.

Exactly. Many investigations have multiple suspects. Investigating means the suspect is not confirmed.

Exactly. Many investigations have multiple suspects. Investigating means the suspect is not confirmed.

And I'm pretty sure that unless there is more than one person involved in the incident (which from what has been reported here there was only one person involved), they are not going to discuss other suspects with the person being questioned. Someone who works in law enforcement SHOULD know that.

My guess is the answer that was given when the investigators were asked "What happens now?" was their best attempt to avoid sarcasm - especially if the career in law enforcement had been revealed (that wasn't clear to me)... but also with the proliferation of police dramas on television.

You don't think someone involved in investigating a crime needs to apologize to you if they caused UNNECESSARY stress and worry, because you had loved ones back at home that from the moment you were asked to come to security you thought might have had an emergency back home? The first interaction could have been handled differently to avoid that worry.....for that they are due an apology.

ZoeyVictoria,

It is unfortunate that this caused stress while you were on vacation. I would suggest that you goggle Michael Bayley, President and CEO of RCI and send him an email/letter. Most likely a staffer will handle the email/letter but hopefully you will get a response.

If nothing else sending that letter might get you some answers and peace of mind. Hopefully the situation was resolved and your SO's record is clear.

ZoeyVictoria,

It is unfortunate that this caused stress while you were on vacation. I would suggest that you goggle Michael Bayley, President and CEO of RCI and send him an email/letter. Most likely a staffer will handle the email/letter but hopefully you will get a response.

If nothing else sending that letter might get you some answers and peace of mind. Hopefully the situation was resolved and your SO's record is clear.

Thank you, that is exactly what I need to know. I also included this issue when I completed the post-cruise survey last night.

Contacting the CEO because 'they didn't say sorry'?

How long between the time your were summoned and the time you found out what it really was all about? 30 minutes? An hour?

The word offensive gets bandied about so much it's losing its effectiveness. You're 'offended' because they didn't say sorry.

The adage choose your battles comes to mind...

Contacting the CEO because 'they didn't say sorry'?

How long between the time your were summoned and the time you found out what it really was all about? 30 minutes? An hour?

The word offensive gets bandied about so much it's losing its effectiveness. You're 'offended' because they didn't say sorry.

The adage choose your battles comes to mind...

Well... There was/is some question as to if he would be allowed to sail on RCCL again, so I'm going to assume you somehow missed those posts.

Personally, I wouldn't expect an apology as they were just doing their job. But, they should have said thank you for your time and cooperation.

They need not offer an apology for doing their job but they could have offered one for the inconvenience that occured because of the job they were doing. It, apparently, would have gone a long way to keeping a paying customer who did nothing wrong happy.

Well... There was/is some question as to if he would be allowed to sail on RCCL again, so I'm going to assume you somehow missed those posts.

Drawn into question by whom? The OP, not the cruiseline, who seems to think (based on being in the "law enforcement field") being questioned and cleared about a suspected criminal activity somehow makes it into your "permanent record" impacting thd ability to cruise again.

Being falsely excused but subsequently cleared requires nothing more than a "Thank you for your cooperation, you are free to go.". It would be above and beyond to get a "Sorry for any inconvenience".

Someone in the LE field should understand these nuances and not be offended or insulted. But I understand the OP was and hope they get the apology they feel they deserve.