Princess Survey about Formal Nights

ready2cruzagain

IMO - Princess is absolutely correct to explore this much discussed Formal Night issue & it's about time. Princess should Eliminate Formal Nights Fleet-Wide Now ...with the following provisions for the MDR & Speciality Restaurants of -

1) For Those Dress To Impress Love Formal Night People - accommodate them in Special MDR area. What could be better?

2) For All Others - Actually (As In Do What You Say Princess) Enforce the Princess MDR & Casual Dress Policy - NO MDR Entry dressed in Shorts, Swim Attire, Tank Tops, Low Riders, Flip-Flops, No Hats For The Guys...absolutely NO exceptions. Did I say hats? yea.! So - You get the idea.

3) For those No Way Formal Night -and/or- Casual Dress Cruisers ... Princess offers other dining venues for you to enjoy & Dressed Your Way ... including buffet, balcony & more!

So - Have It Your Way! Enjoy!

Why would they enforce it now when they never have on any consistent basis, in the past.

How does someone dressed in Shorts, Swim Attire, Tank Tops, Low Riders, Flip-Flops, Or hats impact your dining experience.

Our last cruise was 33 nights, 5 formal, and I only saw a handful of people in (or trying to get in) the dining room not dressed to code.

Saw a few turn away, not sure if they were turned away or realized when they got there that it was formal night and then chose to go elsewhere.

Yes. It will be a different name, that's all. LOL at "Guy in tank top night.":D

It does not matter where I am dining I do NOT want to sit next to guy in tank top with hairy armpits and backwards cap

Some things are really objectionable I wonder why we in Australia have not received the survey?

It does not matter where I am dining I do NOT want to sit next to guy in tank top with hairy armpits and backwards cap

Some things are really objectionable I wonder why we in Australia have not received the survey?

I wondered the same about Aussies not getting it, but then I saw Mic or Rosie got it.

Our last cruise was 33 nights, 5 formal, and I only saw a handful of people in (or trying to get in) the dining room not dressed to code.

Saw a few turn away, not sure if they were turned away or realized when they got there that it was formal night and then chose to go elsewhere.

When you say "to code" are you saying less than a handful were not wearing a tux or a dark suit? I've certainly never witnessed that on my Princess cruises. There's always been different colour suits and sports jackets which do not follow the code.

I'm not saying Princess should do away with formal night, but I'd like to see it dropped to Cocktail attire.

And now looks like pants for women are outlawed too

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

When you say "to code" are you saying less than a handful were not wearing a tux or a dark suit? I've certainly never witnessed that on my Princess cruises. There's always been different colour suits and sports jackets which do not follow the code.

I'm not saying Princess should do away with formal night, but I'd like to see it dropped to Cocktail attire.

And now looks like pants for women are outlawed too

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

That is exactly what I'm saying. But I wasn't checking everyone it is merely what I observed.

Edited by GUT2407

No, I'm referring to All inclusive resorts. But I think the most inclusive of all cruise lines, Regent, does not have formal nights.

Actually, Regent is the cruise line I was referring to in my post. We are hard core Regent cruisers. They do have formal nights (two for every 16 days).

However, their dress code is somewhat different than that of the mass markets. After 6:00PM only two dress codes are allowed Elegant Casual or Formal Optional. After that time, no jeans--period--and collared shirts only for men, in all public areas not just in the dining rooms. Formal nights stipulate gowns or cocktail dresses for ladies and tuxedos, diner jackets or dark suits with tie for men. They do say optional, so one can get by with elegant casual on formal evenings. This fall is the debut of the Seven Seas Explorer, billed as the "Most Luxurious Ship Ever Built". I bet one will look like a fish out of water on that ship without elegant dress, regardless of codes.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of slobs on Regent as well, matter of fact I wager that on formal nights on Princess, in Sabatini's and Crown Grill, that there is a larger percentage of guests in formal attire there than in Regent's MDR on formal nights. Or that was how it was during our most recent Princess voyages in September and October on the Caribbean Princess and the Regal Princess. Nevertheless, there are a lot of occasions on Regent where tuxedos are worn other than the formal nights.

I previously mentioned my wife brings two tux jackets for me, one white and one black. Since I occasionally spill my red wine on my white I would be out of business without the black.

Would anyone object to a strict policy of no shorts, flip flops, tank tops, and the like EVER in the MDR for dinner? I have no problem if someone is wearing dockers and a polo short on formal night or any other night. I do not believe I'm being elitist in saying I don't EVER think the shorts, etc. dress is appropriate at dinner. You can disagree, I don't want it on any night.

Why would they enforce it now when they never have on any consistent basis, in the past. How does someone dressed in Shorts, Swim Attire, Tank Tops, Low Riders, Flip-Flops, Or hats impact your dining experience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is exactly the point - Princess Enforcement Is Needed - Princess Must Decide - How To Manage. Regarding "how does stuff impact" - I'd include Experience - Decorum - Common Manners, etc, usually found on most Princess Ships. You are right - regardless of those that disregard the rules - usually service & food quality is the same - BUT the dining soundings & experience NOT so much. Whatever - we will enjoy Princess.

Why would they enforce it now when they never have on any consistent basis, in the past. How does someone dressed in Shorts, Swim Attire, Tank Tops, Low Riders, Flip-Flops, Or hats impact your dining experience.

It is possible that Princess has been playing both sides against the middle. Having rules to please one side and not enforcing them to please the other. It is now taking soundings to decide where next to navigate.

Would anyone object to a strict policy of no shorts, flip flops, tank tops, and the like EVER in the MDR for dinner? I have no problem if someone is wearing dockers and a polo short on formal night or any other night. I do not believe I'm being elitist in saying I don't EVER think the shorts, etc. dress is appropriate at dinner. You can disagree, I don't want it on any night.

It's the typical comeback for those that want it to remain only formal. They describe the extreme compared to someone wearing a tux or gown and only make themselves sound silly in doing so.

Princess hasn't required formal throughout the ship in over a decade. It applies only to the Main and Anytime dining rooms.

I'm also getting a chuckle out of the women here telling the men how they should dress and then probably show up in polyester pants and a black top and think they're "formal" LOL

Give them some credit. It will be black polyester pants and a sparkly top. It my be a sweat shirt but it will be bedazzled.

Wow! I just fugured it out. It's not about me, it's for and about my fellow cruisers.

Nobody cares if I want a few formal nights or no formal nights. But there are some of my fellow cruisers who enjoy a few nights of formality. So out of respect for them, I will either dress formally in the MDR, or I will eat elsewhere.

I was thinking of all the people who dress for the occasion to make my cruise special. The captain, the maitre d', the assistant waiters, the bar tenders etc. Gosh, once I stopped thinking about what I want and more of what some of fellow cruisers wanted, the answer was simple.

Anyway, thanks to whomever brought this topic up. I had an epiphany and I thank you for that.

Wow! I just fugured it out. It's not about me, it's for and about my fellow cruisers.

Nobody cares if I want a few formal nights or no formal nights. But there are some of my fellow cruisers who enjoy a few nights of formality. So out of respect for them, I will either dress formally in the MDR, or I will eat elsewhere.

I was thinking of all the people who dress for the occasion to make my cruise special. The captain, the maitre d', the assistant waiters, the bar tenders etc. Gosh, once I stopped thinking about what I want and more of what some of fellow cruisers wanted, the answer was simple.

Anyway, thanks to whomever brought this topic up. I had an epiphany and I thank you for that.

According to the latest cruise industry association survey approximately 70% of passengers cruise industry wide prefer non formal.

I did, but then I use a Hotmail account.:D

FWIW, they did a poll on the celebrity boards when it was announced that Celebrity was going to Chic nights. Bottom line: fewer than 30% were opposed.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2278817&highlight=poll

The only way it will change back is for people to vote with their travel money, but I cannot see that happening.:D