What do you want to see in Project Edge cabins?

BrendaJ

Lots of discussion on another thread about a possible rendering from a design firm. Rather than concentrating on what may or may not be an actual design plan for the Edge class cabins, what would you like to see in the standard cabins? It seems a lot of people would be happy with the M-class cabin (at least for storage) and the S-class bathroom. What's on your wish list? Here's mine, with the assumption the standard cabin will be about the same size as the S-class standard cabins:

Bathroom

• bathroom basin with the faucet farther back so I don't get water on the floor washing my face
  • Retractable clothes line
    Other than that, I'm very happy with the S-class bathroom

Storage

• closet accessible without squeezing between the bed and the closet
  • shoe cubbies in the closet
  • nightstands with actual drawers, rather than the small shelves of the S-class
  • Instead of inaccessible cupboards above the bed, put them above the sofa in cabins without a bunk (shallow enough that no one will hit their head)

Other

• wood/laminate floors (so much cleaner than carpet)
  • verandah with two chairs and two foot stools
  • lighting that's a little easier to figure out than the S-class
  • iPod dock and lots of outlets for charging electronics (perhaps built into shelves on the desk)

I think they have to get very innovative with the amount of square footage they have. Are there other cruise lines that have a much better layout for 200 square feet?

I think it's not really feasible, but I suspect there are people that would be happy to sacrifice some cabin space for a larger verandah. Some people might prefer a cabin with no sofa and table, but with a 100 foot square foot verandah. I must admit that I seldom use the sofa in the cabin. Of course, warm weather itineraries would be best suited for that type of cabin.

I think it's funny that, other than location and a few amenities, inside cabins all the way up to Aqua Class have pretty much the same cabin layout and furniture on the Celebrity ships. It would be interesting to see a little more variation in cabin layouts and amenities.

What are your ideas?

Edited by BrendaJ
formatting

I think this is a good idea for a thread. Rather than comment on unsubstantiated rumor, which the other thread is, it would be good to talk about what we as customers want. It's probably too late, as I'm sure they have "top people" on the job.

One of my top requests would be improved bedding. If Celebrity really wants to be Modern Luxury they should start by having more comfortable bedding like Oceania has. Those little slabs of foam on a metal frame should be a thing of the past.

I agree with your storage idea. I don't see cubby holes for shoes happening in a standard room, but they should be in all suites, not just the top ones.

Personally, I've never had trouble sleeping on Celebrity's beds but I know many people are unhappy with the current bedding.

I must say, we got pretty spoiled with the storage in an M-class Royal Suite - more storage than you'd need for a year-long cruise. It actually became difficult to find my things, because there were so many options as to where I could have put them.

I think a lot of people's storage woes may decrease as the dress code becomes more informal. With luggage restrictions being what they are, it shouldn't be too hard to find space to store everything we are able to bring (although I suppose those driving to the port could bring a lot more than the rest of us). I'm hoping that someday I will pack just what I need and nothing more, but so far, I'm a chronic over-packer.

On the Quantum class ships there are two USB ports by the desk which is great for charging phones, tablets etc. Mine were in almost constant use and I was in a solo cabin, so 4 or 5 would be nice. Everyone has more than one device that can charge this way.

Absolutely the sink needs to be inside the bathroom!! Hands that hold the t.p. to wipe the behind need to be washed in the bathroom. Having the sink in the main cabin means that hand has to open the bathroom door before it is cleaned:eek:!

Aside from the sanitary issue, I prefer to perform my personal care, e.g. tooth-brushing, gargling, etc., in privacy! There are times we have guests in our cabin for a pre-dinner drink while one of us is getting ready:o. Hard to enjoy socializing while the in-the-open sink is in use right nearby.

Yes to the sink being in the bathroom! I'd like a big enough shower that I don't keep bumping my elbows when I'm washing my hair. And all solid walls for the bathroom, no glass, etched glass, or glass blocks. I don't want to be able to wave at visitors in the cabin if I'm seated on the loo or taking a shower, even if I'm sort of blurry! :D

Drawers in the night stands would be good, as well as drawers in the desk and some shelves in the wardrobe. I like the idea of hard floors, too. They shouldn't get stained and grubby the way that carpet does. Two chairs or a sofa inside the cabin would be good, as well as two chairs on the balcony, and footstools with those if possible.

Ipod dock is a waste. It adds to the cost and not everyone is going to use it (more than 80% the world is on Android anyway). People can bring their own bluetooth speakers if they want to play music in their stateroom.

More outlets would definitely be beneficial to most people but I doubt they'll do that. It's more likely that they'll provide extra USB charging ports because they can limit the amperage (and load) on the ship's electrical system.

Edited by GuavaTechAngels

In addition to the request for the sink to be located in the bathroom, I would like to see a larger sink suitable for hand washing clothing on longer cruises. Many ladies do not wish to send out their lingerie or delicate clothing items to be washed by the ship's laundry. Also, a retractable clothesline or some sort of fold down drying rack would be desirable.

I second the request for better quality mattresses and linens.

My husband's only request is for a larger screen TV in the stateroom.

All room categories should offer guests quality toiletries including body wash.

Like the S class bathrooms with the exception of that dreadful sink and faucet. Please, a real sink and a faucet that doesn't threaten to knock me out every time I come near the sink.

Sink in bathroom. Where it belongs.

Easier access to closet and closet actually deep enough to hold clothes without their getting caught in the sliding doors.

More drawer space, especially in bedside tables.

Ceramic tile floors that look like wood. Much more sanitary and easier to keep that way.

Footstools on the balcony.

I think this is a good idea for a thread. Rather than comment on unsubstantiated rumor, which the other thread is, it would be good to talk about what we as customers want. It's probably too late, as I'm sure they have "top people" on the job.

One of my top requests would be improved bedding. If Celebrity really wants to be Modern Luxury they should start by having more comfortable bedding like Oceania has. Those little slabs of foam on a metal frame should be a thing of the past.

I agree with your storage idea. I don't see cubby holes for shoes happening in a standard room, but they should be in all suites, not just the top ones.

Also, have not seen many complaints on Celebrity bedding. They spent a lot of money putting the Reverie brand bedding on all the ships and since then very complaints. I hope they keep them on the ships as I find them very comfortable.

Based upon all the complaints about S class ships, I hope they don't have the same group of ladies designing the rooms.

Edited by dkjretired

..... It seems a lot of people would be happy with the M-class cabin (at least for storage) and the S-class bathroom.
That would certainly be our preference, but with the addition of a retractable clothesline in the bathroom.

Also, removable hand-held shower heads in all bathrooms, please.

(Hate using a small shower stall with a fixed shower head.)

Definitely want decent sized drawers that open and close in the nightstands.

The safe should be at eye level.

Comfortable seating for two, whether sofa or chairs.

(Definitely not those hard slab sofas on the S-class ships.)

Outlet for hair dryer in the bathroom (so you can close the door and not be blasting a noisy hair dryer in the bedroom while the other person is trying to sleep).

Bring back that little knob that could be turned up to hear announcements in the cabin, so we don't need to go running to open the door, or start fumbling with the remote trying to find the appropriate channel on the TV to hear them.

(Half the time they don't even broadcast the announcements on the TV channel anyway.)

And definitely eliminate those annoying, inconvenient style closet hangers that need to be inserted into a little hole in a metal thing on the rod.

What sadistic person invented them? ;)

Give passengers a place for options in our reservation in advance (in the section where you request beds together or apart)

to indicate other preferences, such as having mini-bar stocked or emptied, request optional items like ice bucket, water pitcher, pillow choice, extra hangers, preference for lighter-weight bathrobes, etc.

That would save the stateroom attendants a lot of time and unnecessary work on the hectic embarkation day, being able to set up most cabins the way the passengers want them initially - once and done.

The current method is very inefficient as they set up all the rooms one way initially, and then need to waste a lot of time coming back later to change things around to suit all the differing individual preferences.

S-class bathrooms would be perfect with some of the minor changes suggested above: hand-held shower heads and retractable clothesline.

With those changes, plus drawers in the night stands and foot stools on the balcony, I would be content.

What strikes me the most is that this thread should have been started by Celebrity many many months ago....if for nothing else, to show that they wanted input from their valuable customers.

It's very telling that the thread is started here by just one of us. As such, the thread is, I suppose, interesting, but only to us.

Celebrity really keeps stepping on itself....they use social media so poorly.

Edited by ghstudio