$120 NYE Party on Explorer

I believe in capitalism and if they can get this money, then that is just fine. I can assure you that I would never pay an extra dime for a party on a cruise ship. My only concern is whether there are still free venues to hang out in, or do you have to head to your room if you do not want to partake in this expensive parties.

I believe in capitalism and if they can get this money, then that is just fine. I can assure you that I would never pay an extra dime for a party on a cruise ship. My only concern is whether there are still free venues to hang out in, or do you have to head to your room if you do not want to partake in this expensive parties.

Plenty of free things to enjoy. The brochure above is just a reservation for a table with a few goodies. True, they used to be free for those lucky enough to secure one, this just removes the need to be lucky

I'm on Mariner now. Nothing special has been offered but I did hear about some roped off section with champagne.

To be honest, nothing about these cruises is very celebratory. We did back-to-back for Christmas/NY and my sons got a small gift from Santa and there was a cute parade. That's it. Tonight I think they will do some type of balloon drop on the Promenade. Nothing major. At least not anything worth paying for at a premium. Not important to me to do this again. Live and learn...

We have two bottles of champagne given to us by the former concierge and current concierge. And I have the ultimate package anyway so why would I pay extra for open bar? Makes no sense to me. Plus, I don't know what the special seating would offer as far as perks of viewing. There are no fireworks or anything. Seems pretty lackluster, but I'll tell you how it goes.

No way I'd ever pay any of the prices that have been kicked around, but why is everyone getting so cranked up about this? It's not mandatory. No one is putting a gun to your head. This is not a permanent change that will impact the cost of your next cruise. It's also not very different than thousands of other venues around the world that charge extra for a NYE event. The Times Square examples with Olive Garden and Bubba Gump are not about the gourmet meal or expensive wine that you will get at these restaurants...it's about their location in Times Square.

As for closing a public space that everyone should have access to...happens all the time with private groups. From my non-suite, platinum perspective, it happens every cruise with the CL/DL, with roped off seating areas on the pool deck or in the theater, with Coastal Kitchen, etc. Like many things in life (including happy endings), want more, pay more. Don't want to pay, don't get to play.

No way I'd ever pay any of the prices that have been kicked around, but why is everyone getting so cranked up about this? It's not mandatory. No one is putting a gun to your head. This is not a permanent change that will impact the cost of your next cruise. It's also not very different than thousands of other venues around the world that charge extra for a NYE event. The Times Square examples with Olive Garden and Bubba Gump are not about the gourmet meal or expensive wine that you will get at these restaurants...it's about their location in Times Square.

As for closing a public space that everyone should have access to...happens all the time with private groups. From my non-suite, platinum perspective, it happens every cruise with the CL/DL, with roped off seating areas on the pool deck or in the theater, with Coastal Kitchen, etc. Like many things in life (including happy endings), want more, pay more. Don't want to pay, don't get to play.

I like how you think Bob

At this time in our lives with family commitments and work schedules we do not get to play very often, so we only get to cruise about once a year.

When we do, we do splurge and go for a suite, and enjoy what it has to offer.

As retirement age approaches and the opportunity to cruise more occurs any cabin will make me happy.

Just being on a cruise, and relaxing is what we work for.

We throw in a couple land vacations a year (weekend get-a-ways) just to have something to look forward too but in no way is it as calming as a cruise.

Stay safe.

Enjoy

The issue is that prices for cruises that included NYE are way higher than other weeks, so the cruiser who booked that 'already more expensive cruise' with expectations that NYE festivities were a part of the added cost, now is offered the opportunity to 'pay more' for something. Sure they don't have to, but they did not expect to have this happen either. No it will not impact any future cruise, except perhaps in their decision to cruise over NYE again.

It is not the same as the examples that you give of the DL/CL or roped off areas by the pool or theater or special dining venues such as Coastal Kitchen.

The privileges of those come with the repeated cruises taken or paying more for the suite accommodations and people KNOW about that in advance.

The rediculous cost of cruising over NYE makes it something we would not do....I would rather put the extra money they charge towards another cruise.

The issue is that prices for cruises that included NYE are way higher than other weeks, so the cruiser who booked that 'already more expensive cruise' with expectations that NYE festivities were a part of the added cost, now is offered the opportunity to 'pay more' for something.

yeah but why?! just because a cruise is more expensive does NOT mean that more comes with it. take for instance any peak season such as Spring Break or the Summer. prices are always higher then yet no-one seems to expect more bang for their buck then when sailing in the same cabin at a cheaper time of the year.

there was about a thousand dollar difference on my non Christmas week cruise and my Christmas week cruise. same ship, same exact cabin no less. the biggest excitement was a slightly fancier menu on Christmas Day.

yeah but why?! just because a cruise is more expensive does NOT mean that more comes with it. take for instance any peak season such as Spring Break or the Summer. prices are always higher then yet no-one seems to expect more bang for their buck then when sailing in the same cabin at a cheaper time of the year.

there was about a thousand dollar difference on my non Christmas week cruise and my Christmas week cruise. same ship, same exact cabin no less. the biggest excitement was a slightly fancier menu on Christmas Day.

For decades people on land have payed a fee to go to a nightclubs for NYE, when they could go there for free any other night of the year. RC is just catching up with the times. Regular cruisers know that Christmas and NYE cruises come at a premium up-charge and now there are more extras for some NYE celebrations. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

We have sailed on July 4th a few times and there has not been a fee for anything. We are Canadian so we appreciate the 4th of July but it isn't "our" celebration. NYE is practically universal no matter where you are from, thus the ability to charge the premiums.

I'd personally never pay the extra to sail these couple of weeks of the year and if I somehow end up on of of these sailings I highly doubt that I'd pay extra for any NYE celebrations.

The issue is that prices for cruises that included NYE are way higher than other weeks, so the cruiser who booked that 'already more expensive cruise' with expectations that NYE festivities were a part of the added cost, now is offered the opportunity to 'pay more' for something. Sure they don't have to, but they did not expect to have this happen either. No it will not impact any future cruise, except perhaps in their decision to cruise over NYE again.

It is not the same as the examples that you give of the DL/CL or roped off areas by the pool or theater or special dining venues such as Coastal Kitchen.

The privileges of those come with the repeated cruises taken or paying more for the suite accommodations and people KNOW about that in advance.

The rediculous cost of cruising over NYE makes it something we would not do....I would rather put the extra money they charge towards another cruise.

The offers being made are just an added opportunity to enhance your celebration. Activities still abound throughout the ship.

Most of us aren't aboard, but it seems that they are taking the tables outside of the pub and vintages and offering them up as reserved seating. No one had any guarantee of getting those tables last year. Plus the bridge had always been off limits to guests. So nothing is being taken away there.

I fully agree that RCI is providing an opportunity and not taking away a benefit that was previously available without a cost.

Now, on the value side, I do not fully agree with how they are approaching this for several reasons. Value is always a perception based on what is being offered and the satisfaction that it brings the purchaser.

The last I noticed the price of a bottle of Dom Perignon onboard a RCI ship, it was priced at only $189 and therefore very similar in a restaurant and bar setting to the market price at a wine shop. A land based resort hotel bottle of Dom might go for around $500. This would raise the 'perceived' value of the offer at the resort, but not for RCI.

As they were already offering this 'value' for the champagne being offered their pricing allowed too much for a perception of being unfair.

The other factor is that they are marketing a 'benefit' to a closed set of passengers and not to the general public. This closed set of guests give them a marketing advantage and therefore the costs of attracting the potential guests is much less than for a land venue.

One can then question the perceived value of becoming part of an 'elite' group. While getting a special table at a certain nightclub can directly indicate an individual with proper connections and can have implications outside of that event through business representation and PR value. This is not as evident in a closed group except for the 'bragging rights' associated with the event.

This offer, as marketed, would only appeal to about 10 to 15% of the passenger base and I just wonder if the 'perceived' value is actually there for this limited group.

It will be interesting to find out how successful these events were on the various ships.

Seasonal price increases are NOT the same as when a particular cruise that includes a special day that is celebrated worldwide has increased prices.

I fully agree that RCI is providing an opportunity and not taking away a benefit that was previously available without a cost.

Now, on the value side, I do not fully agree with how they are approaching this for several reasons. Value is always a perception based on what is being offered and the satisfaction that it brings the purchaser.

The last I noticed the price of a bottle of Dom Perignon onboard a RCI ship, it was priced at only $189 and therefore very similar in a restaurant and bar setting to the market price at a wine shop. A land based resort hotel bottle of Dom might go for around $500. This would raise the 'perceived' value of the offer at the resort, but not for RCI.

As they were already offering this 'value' for the champagne being offered their pricing allowed too much for a perception of being unfair.

The other factor is that they are marketing a 'benefit' to a closed set of passengers and not to the general public. This closed set of guests give them a marketing advantage and therefore the costs of attracting the potential guests is much less than for a land venue.

One can then question the perceived value of becoming part of an 'elite' group. While getting a special table at a certain nightclub can directly indicate an individual with proper connections and can have implications outside of that event through business representation and PR value. This is not as evident in a closed group except for the 'bragging rights' associated with the event.

This offer, as marketed, would only appeal to about 10 to 15% of the passenger base and I just wonder if the 'perceived' value is actually there for this limited group.

It will be interesting to find out how successful these events were on the various ships.

Nice explanation. Maybe we'll here more later tonight. I'm especially interested in hearing about Anthem

Nice explanation. Maybe we'll here more later tonight. I'm especially interested in hearing about Anthem

I was hoping for a live glimpse of the events on CNN tonight, but it appears that Richard Quest, that was scheduled for a cruise ship, has actually set off for Copacabana Beach in Rio instead.

I was hoping for a live glimpse of the events on CNN tonight, but it appears that Richard Quest, that was scheduled for a cruise ship, has actually set off for Copacabana Beach in Rio instead.

I want to do NYE in Sydney some day. Then maybe hop a jet and do it in Waikiki

Allure and Oasis have live web cameras which will show at least the RP. Anthem me get have some too. It is one way of checking it almost live.