$120 NYE Party on Explorer

I don't get your question, but when I pay a 2X or 3X premium to cruise over NYE I am not shelling out hundreds more for a seat in a public space.

RIP OFF

you were complaining about having a 'public venue' closed off for the party. my comment was in reference to the fact that this particular public venue, the pool, would NOT be in use ANYWAY late at night so who cares if they set it aside for a private event? or would you rather they set aside the Schooner Bar instead, thus kicking you and everyone else out who just wanted to listen to the piano guy?

or do you want EVERY single Public venue to be available to you 24/7 just in case you MIGHT want to visit it at some point?

Kind of makes me wonder what the next "special event" will be that Royal will view as a shakedown opportunity!:confused:

But on the other hand....who can blame them for pushing the envelope if people are actually paying? :rolleyes:

It's still about personal choices.

you were complaining about having a 'public venue' closed off for the party. my comment was in reference to the fact that this particular public venue, the pool, would NOT be in use ANYWAY late at night so who cares if they set it aside for a private event? or would you rather they set aside the Schooner Bar instead, thus kicking you and everyone else out who just wanted to listen to the piano guy?

or do you want EVERY single Public venue to be available to you 24/7 just in case you MIGHT want to visit it at some point?

I want every single PUBLIC venue open to me during normal operating hours.

The pool deck is normally open 24/7. It would also be cool to watch the Times Square ball drop on the big screen.

I want to not be charged more for access to public venues. So I guess your last choice matches most closely.

I just think charging extra for a roped off section of an otherwise public venue is tacky; but people are happy to pay it, so the cruiseline will be even happier to charge for it.

I don't get your question, but when I pay a 2X or 3X premium to cruise over NYE I am not shelling out hundreds more for a seat in a public space.

RIP OFF

Totally agree. They are doing the same thing on Anthem of the Seas,

with the extra charges. Can't believe the Royal is doing this.

This is very sad..

Have to laugh at this because today I was reading Olive Garden was charging $400 in New York City for I guess all you can eat and open bar. That's right Olive Garden. I'll be home on my warm couch with my family and my bottle of wine. One night I'm glad to be home.

How ridiculous!! And so is charging for the NYE bash on the ship....people have already paid more for cruising over the holiday and should be rewarded with something extra and NOT just an EXTRA upcharge.

Totally agree. They are doing the same thing on Anthem of the Seas,

with the extra charges. Can't believe the Royal is doing this.

This is very sad..

I wouldn't call it "very sad"...

Although I don't like these massive upcharges, can you honestly blame them? If people are willing to pay $1500 for a seat in 270 (on Anthem), why would they think twice about charging that amount? Unfortunately, a business is a business, and if people are willing to pay, there's going to be a charge.

I'm sure there are other areas set aside for those who don't want to pay the upcharges.

Is this the first year that these upcharges have existed on the ships?

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Although I don't like these massive upcharges, can you honestly blame them? If people are willing to pay $1500 for a seat in 270 (on Anthem), why would they think twice about charging that amount? Unfortunately, a business is a business, and if people are willing to pay, there's going to be a charge.

I'm sure there are other areas set aside for those who don't want to pay the upcharges.

Yes, first year.

Yes first year and sad, pathetic and ridiculous.

We are already paying premium prices for these

holiday cruises. We are booked for next years on

Anthem Christmas and New Years cruise and

we do know how pricey these cruises are. We should not

have to worry about these up charges.

Yes first year and sad, pathetic and ridiculous.

We are already paying premium prices for these

holiday cruises. We are booked for next years on

Anthem Christmas and New Years cruise and

we do know how pricey these cruises are. We should not

have to worry about these up charges.

They're not forcing you to pay...

Does anyone know what options there are for people that aren't going to pay?

Yes, first year.

Oasis/Allure has had them in the past. Travelgoddess reported that she saw them a few years ago for the rising tide bar for NYE.

I don't know about other ships though.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Last year I cruised over Super Bowl Sunday and they charged for seating in the sports bar to reserve a table and included a bucket of beer. They sold out every table with out a problem. This is really no different.

Although I wouldn't do it, people pay it and it will continue to happen. Everything is more expensive on New Years Eve. Just wait until they raise the drink prices for that night on cruises like a lot of land based places. I'm actually shocked that hasn't happened already because people will pay it.

Our friend is sailing on the Freedom of the Seas right now.

Here is what he posted on facebook....

They are offering suite guests front row reserved seats for New Year's Eve at $1,500 per person. Back row is $800. Not clear what they get for that.:eek:

I want every single PUBLIC venue open to me during normal operating hours.

The pool deck is normally open 24/7. It would also be cool to watch the Times Square ball drop on the big screen.

so watch it one deck higher above the pool. better view of the Jumbotron anyway

and I disagree the pool deck is open 24/7 for anything other than walking from one end of the ship to the other past say 10 pm. the deck chairs are stacked, the pools and hot tubs netted over or drained for maintenance and the pool bar dark.

so watch it one deck higher above the pool. better view of the Jumbotron anyway

and I disagree the pool deck is open 24/7 for anything other than walking from one end of the ship to the other past say 10 pm. the deck chairs are stacked, the pools and hot tubs netted over or drained for maintenance and the pool bar dark.

Nope. There is always at least one hot tub on the pool deck and Solarium open at all times and the pools are usually open too. I've only seen them all closed during inclement weather and late on the last night of the cruise.

While we can afford to do a lot of things, there are things we would never do based on principle and paying for a NYE party on a ship that you've already paid a premium for is one of them.

Guess what, I have an opinion and it mirrors a lot of where you are coming from.

How many passengers on Anthem?

What is the capacity of 270?

How many really good seats are there?

Now this question is for everybody.

Based on that data, who gets the good seats. Please don't say first come, first served. :o

Is $3000 to much? I think so, but if there are only a couple of opportunities for that experience, it might work for someone.

Guess what, I have an opinion and it mirrors a lot of where you are coming from.

How many passengers on Anthem?

What is the capacity of 270?

How many really good seats are there?

Now this question is for everybody.

Based on that data, who gets the good seats. Please don't say first come, first served. :o

Is $3000 to much? I think so, but if there are only a couple of opportunities for that experience, it might work for someone.

Ah, but no one seems to know what the "experience" is that they would be paying for.

Our friend is sailing on the Freedom of the Seas right now.

Here is what he posted on facebook....

They are offering suite guests front row reserved seats for New Year's Eve at $1,500 per person. Back row is $800. Not clear what they get for that.:eek:

What is this for?

A show, or a party. Front row I mean.

Just curious.

Thanks