Noro-Virus Opinion

Sailaway John

Whilst cruising late last year I visited the restrooms and whilst in there noticed a fellow passenger come out of a cubicle and walk straight out of the restroom without washing his hands. I called out to him and told him that was very unhealthy to do what he had just done and that the Noro-virus is spread very fast that way. He politely told to shut up and then I told him what I thought of him as a person. Nothing further happened and he walked off to the buffet area to get some food.

Now here is my question: Did I do the right thing or should I just mind my own business? Too many ships lately are having the Noro-virus breakouts on board. I do not want one on my cruises.

Whilst cruising late last year I visited the restrooms and whilst in there noticed a fellow passenger come out of a cubicle and walk straight out of the restroom without washing his hands. I called out to him and told him that was very unhealthy to do what he had just done and that the Noro-virus is spread very fast that way. He politely told to shut up and then I told him what I thought of him as a person. Nothing further happened and he walked off to the buffet area to get some food.

Now here is my question: Did I do the right thing or should I just mind my own business? Too many ships lately are having the Noro-virus breakouts on board. I do not want one on my cruises.

We use Clorox hand sanitizer spray, before and after getting food at the buffet or in other places, as well. Don't touch face, eyes, mouth or nose without washing or using spray. BTW, get it here or on the site that sounds like a big river in South America:

https://www.healthykin.com/p-3624-clorox-hand-sanitizer.aspx?gclid=CMix-riYisoCFUNffgodDH8P6Q

Edited by ar1950

Noro is everywhere and disgusting people are everywhere.

Nowadays a confrontation is a good way to get hurt.

^^ This.

So much anger and violence in the world these days, a confrontation is probably not a good idea.

I would have reported him. Not sure if they would do anything about it, but it would make me feel better.

Would you really?

To whom would you report him? You'd go up to a Lido server/Supervisor, point a finger and say 'he didn't wash his hands'. What would you think the crew person could or would do?

We are not our 'brother's keeper'.

Yes, a true criminal should be reported but a cruiser with horrid hygiene?

JMO ....

Edited by sail7seas

Yeah Confront him and I'll sit back and watch the brawl that develops, for all you know he is psychotic and you good end up seriously injured or worse.

I wish people would spend more time paying attention to their own hygiene and less to others

A better effort would be to do your best to get input to the cruise line's CEO regarding your recommendation that the buffet no longer allow self serve (assuming you're talking about mass market lines that continue to employ this unhealthy practice.

To be honest, I'm more concerned about hepatitis A than Noro Virus as at least Noro only lasts a day or so, but hepatitis can kill. Hepatitis A is usually contracted when someone eats or drinks something contaminated with human waste. Don't wash your hands after a bowel movement and touch food in a cafeteria or restaurant and then it is served to some unwitting person and they can become sick or even die. Even worse, you could infect a pregnant woman which would infect her unborn child and the child could die. (I know of an actual case where this occurred, so please, no cries of speculation, it happened.) I wish there was something that could be done about these slobs who use the restroom and don't wash their hands. It is totally disgusting, incredibly dangerous to others, but sadly not illegal. Sadly, someone who is so selfish and lazy that they won't wash their hands after using the bathroom is not going to care about who they hurt.

Would I confront the person? No. Would I tell other passengers on the cruise what I witnessed and not to eat in the buffet? Why yes I would, including telling the manager of the buffet why I would not eat there and any other officers I encountered. And in fact, in a buffet, we only go to stations where the food is prepared behind the counter by one person and put on a plate and handed to us. Serve yourself on a cruise ship = gross. Won't eat it. Won't touch it. No way, not ever.

IMO....

• cruise ships have cruisers from around the world. Every place have different standards. 60 seconds vs 20 seconds. I've been criticized for spending TOO much time at the sink and wasting water if I go over 2 seconds.
  • not everyone speaks English. Some non-English speaking countries I find need more education than others.
  • makes me wonder what this person does at home... hope they don't work at a restaurant.
  • if the guy is headed to buffet area.... it's another reason I go to main dining room.
  • after hand washing... how do you open the bathroom door? Personally, I use my drying towel or a backup napkin in my pocket.
  • certain cruise lines appear to have a higher frequency for outbreaks.... I avoid those.

Edited by xlxo

I see no point in confronting the person. You are likely to catch noro from somebody else. Also, it depends on what he did in the restroom. Urine is sterile but touching surfaces after may lead to self contamination. You can't monitor others sanitary habits. I take care of myself, including soap and water, and most important opening the door on leaving with a paper towel.

Edited by jamessemaj

I wouldn't confront but I would give a dirty look and hope they saw.

Also how did you know they headed straight to the buffet? Did you follow them out? The best you can do is take care of yourself and hope you don't get sick.

I've always wondered this though, if you don't wash your own hands after going to the bathroom, can you make yourself sick? The germs came from your own body. Or when you get sick, do the doctors just assume you picked it up from someone else? I mean if someone consistently has poor hygiene, I would think they would get sick more often. Do they?

We have been on quite a few ships when it was in Code Red due to the Noro Virus.

And we have seen quite a people not wash their hands after having used the rest rooms.

Would I have said anything to someone who did not wash their hands -- no way. This has become a crazy world that we live in and people think nothing of attacking another person for no reason at all.

Reporting the person?? Doubt if the crew would do anything as well.

You should have just minded your own business. Your experience just reinforces the need to stay away from public washrooms. As others have stated, making rude comments could just create further confrontation and aggression.

Fact is that some people have less than desirable hygiene habits. They don't wash their hands often enough, they lick their fingers, they constantly touch their face or rub their nose.... and when you travel, you are going to meet a lot of these people.

The best that you can do, imo, is learn as much as you can about the transmission of noro and learn how to protect yourself against it.

FYI - While studies have shown that food is the most common vehicle of transmission of noro-virus, contamination most often occurs through a food handler improperly handling a food directly before it is eaten. The decision to dine in the MDR versus the buffet will not reduce this risk.

My thoughts on this subject are always the same. Why worry about the buffet? The same people who don't wash their hands and then go to the buffet also go everywhere else. They touch door handles, stair railings and so much more.

Do you go to the grocery store? Dirtiest place around. People go to the store in any condition and touch everything. Touch their mouths or runny noses and then touch everything. Little kids are put in the carts with dirty shoes or dirty diapers. The grocery store is probably where I caught the Norovirus. I had been to work and no one there was sick before or after and the grocery store was the only other place I went before I went home.

Of course, you go home from the grocery store and wash your food. And that is my answer. Wash YOUR hands, don't touch your face (especially if ill). Wash before and after eating. Open the bathroom door with a paper towel. You cannot control everyone but you can do a lot to reduce your chances of getting sick.

In answer to your question: No I probably would not have said anything to the individual.

John, did same thing once while waiting for friend in HAL ladies room. Watched 6 or more old ladies walk out, no wash. I finally screamed at them" You old ladies are the ones who make us sick; wash your hands" They looked at me like I was from Mars.. Average cruiser jerk has not even heard of Noro. Several years later I contacted Noro at my local Senior Center in Aspen. True Noro lasts 3 days. I had racking abdominal pains for 3 days.Skin even hurt. It was like labor. Complained to management, they were clueless. I also fault cruise management for not having cleaners cleaning door knobs and toilet flush knobs. When was last time you saw them clean these?I avoid public rest rooms.

I think I would have just said something out loud to myself.....:D

As we age people do think we talk out loud to ourselves:eek:

".. . . better wash my hands so I am not like some low lifes that do not. . . "

Nah, I would have ignored him.

I hate conflict.

Safer travels.

YOU ABSOLUTELY did the right thing but I would have been more discreet. It's too easy to spread disease on a cruise ship and everyone who travels should perform personal infection control to protect yourself. Hand washing is the best way with soap and water and scrubbing your hands downward under the water spout. Ships have hand sanitizer all over so look for them and use them but don't rely just on that. Don't use bare hands when touching door knobs or light switches. Carry tissues or wipes with you for that purpose. In this day and age it's not healthy to be naiive. We have to know how to protect ourselves and our children while traveling. I would have told that cruiser who didn't wash his hands after using a rest facility, about my personal experience of having picked up a bacterial infection while traveling. I was sick for a long time but it won't stop me from traveling in the future. I now know how to protect myself and you should too. As for dealing with those who are uninformed, smile and tell them you noticed they didn't wash their hands and you personally know of someone who got very sick while traveling and you're sure he wouldn't want to be a responsible party to cause such an outbreak

after hand washing... how do you open the bathroom door? Personally, I use my drying towel or a backup napkin in my pocket.

I use a towel as well. On thing that is great on Crystal is that they have containers on the wall with small wipes to open the door with. I wish every cruise line would either do that or make sure there is a trash can near the door.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Would I have said something? I am not sure, maybe a dirty look at the offending person. I have never seen a lady walk off without washing her hands, but my husband said that he saw several gents walk straight out on the same long HAL cruise. We had a noro outbreak in the second half of the cruise.

During an outbreak on a Princess ship, the head waiter walked behind a lady who touched everything, back of chair, hand railing, top of the table etc. He cleaned behind her with a disinfectant wipe and she never noticed him. There was no need to touch everything, calm seas and she was not mobility challenged in any way.