Ironing problems on board.

OP has a wife who has a certain behavior that is not likely to change. He laid it out very well in his original post - they have fought over this before on vacation and will most likely again on this upcoming cruise. He even calls her behavior "OCD".

There is a much bigger issue at hand here, one that none of us (well, very few of us) can help OP with. He asked for the ironing price list, it was given to him. I think all we can do is wish them the best and hope this isn't a marriage-wrecker. Yes, seriously... OCD can be that destructive. :(

We have booked an RCI cruise for the summer but the wife has just realised that she will not be able to iron any of her clothes at all on board. (I know what would you want to iron on holiday anyway) But this is a big BIG thing for my wife.

Clothes are ironed and ironed again before they are put on. Its been the cause of many an argument and some severe falling outs whilst on holiday over this (what I call her OCD about ironing)

Can anyone tell me how much the ironing service costs per item. As we are on the verge of cancelling this holiday....

OP has a wife who has a certain behavior that is not likely to change. He laid it out very well in his original post - they have fought over this before on vacation and will most likely again on this upcoming cruise. He even calls her behavior "OCD".

There is a much bigger issue at hand here, one that none of us (well, very few of us) can help OP with. He asked for the ironing price list, it was given to him. I think all we can do is wish them the best and hope this isn't a marriage-wrecker. Yes, seriously... OCD can be that destructive. :(

This is the root of the problem. She will not cross the door at home unless she irons all the clothes she is going to wear bar her undies.

We are married the guts of 29 years and this has been a problem for me throughout the whole time. Me personally I could not care as long as it looks kinda ok then it will do for me.

Thanks for all the replies. I hope we can take some gear that won't need ironed and any that we do take can be handed in to the pressers to be done and left in the wrapping till they need to be used.

I do have 1 tip. If she has a flat iron for her hair you can use it kind of like an iron. There are also inexpensive ones you can buy if she doesn't have one. I've used it to iron dress shirts a few times. It's not as nice as an iron but it works and is allowed on the ship! I used it on last cruise for a pair of slacks after the hubby spilled a drink on his clean ones right before dinner on formal night! I've also seen some flat irons that come apart in the middle that you could use similar to a normal iron. Search for videos of "how to iron your shirt with a straightener" and you'll find some how-to videos.

I do have 1 tip. If she has a flat iron for her hair you can use it kind of like an iron. There are also inexpensive ones you can buy if she doesn't have one. I've used it to iron dress shirts a few times. It's not as nice as an iron but it works and is allowed on the ship! I used it on last cruise for a pair of slacks after the hubby spilled a drink on his clean ones right before dinner on formal night! I've also seen some flat irons that come apart in the middle that you could use similar to a normal iron. Search for videos of "how to iron your shirt with a straightener" and you'll find some how-to videos.

Brilliant!:D

This is the root of the problem. She will not cross the door at home unless she irons all the clothes she is going to wear bar her undies.

We are married the guts of 29 years and this has been a problem for me throughout the whole time. Me personally I could not care as long as it looks kinda ok then it will do for me.

Thanks for all the replies. I hope we can take some gear that won't need ironed and any that we do take can be handed in to the pressers to be done and left in the wrapping till they need to be used.

One solution, if you can stay in a hotel the night before. Have her iron a few outfits and carry them on in a dress bag. Board the ship after 1pm so you can go directly to your room. Prepare remaining outfits to give to your room attendant for ironing. They may be returned the next night by 5 but promised by second night. Also you can use a hairdryer to smooth out wrinkles.

Edited by janrey1234

We had ours travel iron removed from our luggage. I did not realize DH has put it in there as I know we are not suppose to bring them any longer. That was our last Princess Cruise:p.

Won't do that this time.;)

Why bother with a travel iron on Princess when Princess provides both self-serve laundry and self-serve ironing boards and irons on almost every deck on all ships? Just curious..... Seems an odd reason to quit cruising Princess over a confiscated travel iron - would be confiscated on any line. (forgive me if I misunderstood your last sentence, perhaps you simply meant on the last cruise you took with them rather than that will be your last cruise with them... A bit ambiguous).

One solution, if you can stay in a hotel the night before. Have her iron a few outfits and carry them on in a dress bag. Board the ship after 1pm so you can go directly to your room. Prepare remaining outfits to give to your room attendant for ironing. They may be returned the next night by 5 but promised by second night. Also you can use a hairdryer to smooth out wrinkles.

Great options, both of them....we send out some things for pressing as soon as we unpack like hubs dress shirts, etc...they come back perfect every time.

However if the wife has OCD about ironing things herself - nothing we offer here is going to help much really. Wrinkle Release, sending items for pressing g, pressing the night before boarding, and so on doesn't really address the OCD part. It may be easier to simply cruise a line that does have self-serve irons so she can iron at will....

After 29 years, you know your situation best HappyChappy, and whether any of the suggestions so far may work for her. Hope something does come together for you! Happy sails....

Why bother with a travel iron on Princess when Princess provides both self-serve laundry and self-serve ironing boards and irons on almost every deck on all ships?

Sounds like the husband put it into the suitcase thinking he was doing a good thing, and didn't realize that Princess provides laundry rooms for their passengers.

My suggestion so that you can enjoy the cruise is to book 2 cabins. One for you on RCI, and one for your wife on another cruise line. At least one of you will enjoy the vacation.

I've got a better idea! Leave her at home and just me and the boy go!

Still nowhere further forward.

I have used the ship laundry/cleaning/pressing services many times (on different ships/cruise lines) and have been pleased. If it helps, let her know that there means for her clothes to be properly pressed once on board.

Enjoy

M

I hope you enjoy your last RCI cruise - if she's that OCD, no amount of substitutes will do and she'll swear off cruising without an iron.:cool:

There are some items that you can buy, from ebags.com, that will help with the wrinkles. It might not be enough for you, but maybe worth looking at. They are different types of packing cubes, that keep the clothes nice and snug, which helps reduce travel wrinkles. Maybe it will help a bit.

Looks like she is gonna bite the bullet and accept she can't do much ironing for a fortnight!

Read the statement above back and it's an unbelievable one.

Gonna be controversial here but you wummin are mental. Absolutely bat**** crazy!! :confused:

"Puts tin hat on and awaits the volley of replies"

And yes us guys are perfect :p:D

Edited by HappyChappy

Looks like she is gonna bite the bullet and accept she can't do much ironing for a fortnight!

Read the statement above back and it's an unbelievable one.

Gonna be controversial here but you wummin are mental. Absolutely bat**** crazy!! :confused:

"Puts tin hat on and awaits the volley of replies"

And yes us guys are perfect :p:D

Great news. Good luck to both of you as you deal with th OCD! Enjoy your sailing!!

My sister is as bad. Irons socks.

Budget for paying someone to do the ironing.

Sail HAL Carnival, Princess, Cunard. They all have laundry and ironing rooms.

My sister is as bad. Irons socks.

Budget for paying someone to do the ironing.

Sail HAL Carnival, Princess, Cunard. They all have laundry and ironing rooms.

We have done Carnival a few times and she disappears for an hour or so around 4pm to do the ironing for that evenings clothes.

A couple of thoughts...

I can't confirm this (as I don't give a rat's patootie and tend to buy clothes that don't need ironing anyway), but I've always heard that folding the clothing up while in a plastic bag such as comes from a dry cleaner (as in, folding the bag with it) can reduce wrinkles. So there's that.

As others have said, buy some Wrinkle Releaser and take that (though from the sounds of your wife that may be an entire suitcase all on its own -but more room for souvenirs coming home?) to use.

And the good, old-fashioned hang the bloody clothes in the bathroom and turn on the shower to hot and let the steam work its magic.

Perhaps a combination of the three?

(Or there's always the suggestion of buying new stuff for the trip that doesn't need ironing. I'm not a big shopper, but the prospect of shopping seems to cheer a lot of women up.)