FEB 2016 UPDATE HAL dry docks, charters & groups listing

CJcruzer

Kathy, I had a pleasant conversation with rep. from Inspirations Group She said on July 9th cruise they could book up to half the ship. With the popularity of leader of this particular group, thought they could have 800 people. Ygh! Of course with over 4 months before cruise, too early to know. She indicated most of the group activities would take place in the evening. Guess I know the outcome of our waitlisted late set seating. Think we will keep our booking and take our chances.

We are part of a group of square dancers on the Maasdam's July 4th cruise to Alaska. There are currently 50 of us and we predict it will grow to 64 by July. We will be dancing in the Crow's Nest on Sea Days. We are bringing a Caller and Round Dance Cuer along with us.

Does anyone have experience of cruising with a Christian Fellowship group onboard? Any ideas as to size of group? Will they take over the ambience of the cruise? There is also a knitting group on the same cruise, but it seems to be limited to around 25/30.

Just recently announced, Greg Laurie and Matthew West with Selah (Inspriation cruises) is on Nieuw Amsterdam October 23-30, 2016. Just heard the add on KWAVE yesterday. It will likely be a very large group if not a full charter.

In reviewing inspiration cruises website they actually have quite an assortment of group trips available.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Ruth had filled me in that no group booked on our October 2016 cruise.

Yeah NO group to take over the ship on our cruise......yippee! Would hate for any group to diminish my ability to go where I want when I want!

Hal should at least let people know in advance so as to change bookings where these hoards take over the ship! What a waste of $ for limitations! :(

N. Amsterdam : 13 November 2016 - 20 November 2016 : Caribbean : National Review post-election cruise group

N. Amsterdam : 04 December 2016 - 11 December 2016 : Caribbean : The Weekly Standard group ( political-conservative )

N. Amsterdam : 13 December 2016 - 20 December 2016 : Caribbean : The Nation group

If this is not your political affiliation, do yourself a favor and avoid this cruise. (The first one is conservative, the last one is liberal.)

I unfortunately was on one of these cruises as a non-attendee & it was awful. They chat about their stuff everywhere & try to engage everyone. (Some of them were truly nasty when they realized that other people were not drinking their flavor of kool-aid.) Not to mention the derogatory comments that they were making amongst themselves about anyone else not lock-stepping with them.

It was like being locked in a talk radio station without the buy gold commercials.

Thank you for posting this, and thanks to KK for linking here. I had planned to watch NA between Halloween to Xmas for "fire sales" but I don't want to be on with ANY political groups of any sort following this election cycle. Looks like I had better just not even track prices.

Cruising with any political or religious group would be like a torturous voyage of needles sticking you and then alcohol being poured into those pinholes. Please I pray for none of this on my voyage! Why can't the do their work on dry land:confused:

Cruising with any political or religious group would be like a torturous voyage of needles sticking you and then alcohol being poured into those pinholes. Please I pray for none of this on my voyage! Why can't the do their work on dry land:confused:

I hear you! We sailed a 14 day back to back collector's cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam beginning with the National Review cruise the week after the 2012 elections. (not as part of that huge group) The noise level in the dining room and the tension in the air made it a most unpleasant week. The following week was one of the most pleasant, cheerful weeks I have spent at sea.

IF you end up on one of these cruises, do anything and everything NOT to be seated for dinner in the MDR on the same level where their group is seated. Every table has a group leader and topics for discussion. No relaxed dinner table conversation, just talking points and rehash. The wait staff was really stressed too. in retrospect, we should have asked to be moved to a different seating.

Edited by the2ofus
added info

I hear you! We sailed a 14 day back to back collector's cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam beginning with the National Review cruise the week after the 2012 elections. (not as part of that huge group) The noise level in the dining room and the tension in the air made it a most unpleasant week. The following week was one of the most pleasant, cheerful weeks I have spent at sea.

What a nightmare of a first half of a cruise!

I have seen youtube videos of one of the HAL Alaska cruises when The Gaithers Christian music group were performing. Their stage, with sound system was set up on the aft Lido deck. I doubt it was dismantled between performances. If the weather is too cool for swimming and sunbathing, and if you like their music, it might not be a problem. Didn't notice if you could get behind them to the aft rail.

-

I knew there would be a lot more new i9-nformation, it usually happens January to April . Was not sure when I would get to the next session - but some time opened up yesterday and today - so figured I should update it quickly. The sooner the information is posted, the better a resource it is for those looking at summer/fall sailings.....

Carol

Please add

Oosterdam Dec 9-16, 2016 "The Nation" Liberal political magazine - they have the MDR Late Fixed Seating fully booked for their dinner activities.

http://www.nationcruise.com/

Edited by summersigh

Call 1-888-425-9477

I expressed my concern to HAL several years ago (on FB) when it appeared that a large group would be on a cruise I was scheduled to take. I received a letter saying that HAL Group Administration Dept would be happy to let me know if a group would be onboard. They did let me know and I cancelled my reservation.