friends offered to bring wine on board for us - unethical?

korky1

We are going on a RCI cruise in a few weeks. We have cruised with RCI many times and always pay our gratuities and never share drink packages so I think of us as a pretty decent couple. For the first time ,we are going in a group of 6, 3 adult couples. The other 2 couples do not drink wine but do drink spirits. They have offered to bring the allocated bottle of wine each on board for my husband and I. This means hubby and I can buy 6 bottles of our favourite wine to enjoy onboard. In return, we would shout each of our friends a drink of their choice. Do you think this is terribly wrong? I have read some pretty viscious attacks on people's integrity on here so am curious.

Would it be unethical if they brought two bottles onboard and you had a drink in their cabin?

Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with this. And I don't smuggle booze onboard and don't really see any reason to. But if they want to use their allotment for you, and you're going to buy them a couple or (four!) drinks, I'd do it.

As an Emerald RCI cruiser, I have no issue with that. If you get caught abusing the program, they might revoke your promotion. I've never seen it myself though. I enjoy my vacation and let others enjoy theirs as long as we all teat each other with courtesy.

No rule that the wine brought on is for personal use only. We have gifted bottles of wine to others before when we had drink packages. Or taken a bottle to the dining room for all to share. Not an ethical problem like sharing a package in my opinion.

As an Emerald RCI cruiser, I have no issue with that. If you get caught abusing the program, they might revoke your promotion. I've never seen it myself though. I enjoy my vacation and let others enjoy theirs as long as we all teat each other with courtesy.

Crown and Anchor status has nothing to do with bringing wine on board. Every cabin, on every ship can bring two bottles of wine on board as long as they are of age. It has nothing to do with any program or promotion.

We are going on a RCI cruise in a few weeks. We have cruised with RCI many times and always pay our gratuities and never share drink packages so I think of us as a pretty decent couple. For the first time ,we are going in a group of 6, 3 adult couples. The other 2 couples do not drink wine but do drink spirits. They have offered to bring the allocated bottle of wine each on board for my husband and I. This means hubby and I can buy 6 bottles of our favourite wine to enjoy onboard. In return, we would shout each of our friends a drink of their choice. Do you think this is terribly wrong? I have read some pretty viscious attacks on people's integrity on here so am curious.

Nothing wrong at all, too bad we do not know anyone who does not drink wine, you are crazy not to do it

We've done this without even thinking about it....DH & myself do not drink wine but we brought our two allocated bottles for adult DD & DSIL to enjoy in addition to the two bottles they brought for themselves....I see this as no big deal.

Not at all.

rule is each cabin can bring 2 bottles. What one does with the bottles once on board is up to them. They can drink it, pour it out, or give it to you. There is a rule saying "personal use" but I don't think it'd be a big deal for the personal use to include giving it to you.

And I'm assuming you will pay for the drink you buy them and not put it on the package?

A good rule of thumb, if you have to sneak, or hide, or worry about getting caught, you are cheating. In this case these criteria do not apply.

For my Jewel roll call, I asked a couple who didn't drink if they could pick up two bottles of wine for me at the port. They asked me the type and I told them how much I was willing to spend. I met them at their cabin about an hour after I checked in to pick it up. Worked flawlessly and I wish I could find such a nice couple to do this for me every sailing :)

No problem. We cruised with friends that do not drink so they brought two bottles of wine on board and gave them to us. We had our two bottles. We enjoyed wine in the room on the balcony, we had the drink package also. We had extra wine to take to the mtd and share with the table at the end of the week.

I am a real stickler for the rules. Dress codes, smuggling, sharing drinks, tipping, yep I do my best to comply, I think it's rude not to.

And even I see nothing wrong with this.

The rules, as I read them, are that each person can bring one bottle, never seen a word that whoever brings it has to drink it.

If a couple bought a bottle each and only one of them drank it would that be an issue?

A few years ago my wife (just recently pregnant) and I bought 2 bottles of wine on board for me to enjoy.

One bartender graciously sold me a drink package solo without requiring my wife to purchase one .

I then donated the 2 bottles of wine to my in laws and felt nothing unethical about it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Not an abuse of the rules at all. The rule is two bottles per cabin. That's it. People are free to do with the wine what they wish. We often leave a bottle or two for the cabin steward as we get the drink package and don't always drink the wine we bring onboard. Cheers and have a great cruise!

thank you all for your opinions which thankfully reflect how I was feeling about this. We will now with a clear conscience get our 4 friends to bring on a bottle of wine each to give to us and will repay them by shouting each of them a drink of their choice on our seapass account. The reason we are looking forward to this is that we will have 6 bottles of our FAVOURITE wine onboard which we cannot buy on the ship. We won't bother buying a drink package on this cruise as it is very port intensive and with the 6 bottles of wine we will have it will be cheaper to just buy additional drinks as we go.