Do you ever have issues sleeping due to ship movement?

juanarcin

Every cruise I've taken has had a night (sometimes 2) where the sea is rough. It doesn't bother me much while I'm out and about. But at night when I'm laying in bed with nothing but my thoughts, sometimes they start wondering into some pretty dark places! I start playing the "imagine if" game. Picturing the ship going through a nightmarish situation.

I've read lots of interesting facts about how sinking or flipping over a ship is similar to doing it to a rubber ducky...nearly impossible. But my imagination can get away from me while I'm laying in the dark with nothing but heavy rocking. Am I the only one who has had this feeling keep them up at night while cruising? Just curious how people who go through this get through the night.

After beeing in the Navy...the cruise ships don't even move to me. After surviving one storm in the south China sea where we were rolling about 50 deg EACH way (yes we had the "barf-o-meter" set up to see how much we were rolling :D ) I can hardly tell we are even underway on the big white boats.

Edited by TruckerDave

Never. The rocking of the ship has the opposite affect on me and puts me right to sleep.

As a Sr. citizen some of my best nights sleep have been on a cruise. If I could get the motion of the ship incorporated into the apartment I live in I'd be in heaven.

I love the rocking at night, but the direction of the bed makes a big difference for me.

me too!

Nights the ship rocks, I make sure I have a drink before bed. I'm very sensitive to the front to back motion and feel miserable.

I love the rocking at night, but the direction of the bed makes a big difference for me.

Us too, I really like my head pointing towards the aft.

I wish the lines would put the bed position on the deck plans.

Every cruise I've taken has had a night (sometimes 2) where the sea is rough. ...

I've read lots of interesting facts about how sinking or flipping over a ship is similar to doing it to a rubber ducky...nearly impossible. But my imagination can get away from me while I'm laying in the dark ...

Ships that get into trouble are those that run into stuff and develop holes where the designers did not intend there to be holes. Open ocean, rocking along, life is good. No worries. For me, my biggest problem has been the quiet nights where I can't feel movement and I think we've stopped for some unknown reason and that is worrisome indeed! I love the rocking of the ship whether Caribbean or Bay of Biscay.

Ships that get into trouble are those that run into stuff and develop holes where the designers did not intend there to be holes. Open ocean, rocking along, life is good. No worries. For me, my biggest problem has been the quiet nights where I can't feel movement and I think we've stopped for some unknown reason and that is worrisome indeed! I love the rocking of the ship whether Caribbean or Bay of Biscay.

Isn't that a strange feeling, and you get up, look out the window and still aren't sure your moving.

We sleep better on a rocking ship than anywhere else and usually feel somehow cheated if we're on a cruise that's all smooth sailing. The only issue was on one cruise where very rough seas caused cabinet doors and drawers to open and close and empty hangers in the closet to swing and bang into each other. Luckily, that little roll of duct tape solved the problem (for those of you who wondered why on earth anyone would take duct tape on a cruise!).