New Livery on PCL Ships

InTheWASide

Personally I don't like it either. I think the stark white that has been used for years and the sea witch logo on the stacks clearly identify the ships as Princess. But I will certainly not stop cruising with Princess because of this new design. I guess I'm more of a traditionalist and like "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

I like it, but I'm always a bit out there when it comes to visual things.

I do wonder how much of an impact on the brand this has- one way or another. Will it encourage or discourage anyone from a booking? I doubt it. But it might precipitate some conversations.

Count me amongst the old school ship traditionalists. I find this tacky and cheapening to the Princess product. Back in the 1980's Sitmar tried this and the result was met by negative response. I wish cruise line management who sits in offices all day would leave things well enough alone. If it's not broken, don't fix it. If they eventually decide to do this - SHAME ON YOU, PRINCESS CRUISES !

Count me amongst the old school ship traditionalists. I find this tacky and cheapening to the Princess product. Back in the 1980's Sitmar tried this and the result was met by negative response. I wish cruise line management who sits in offices all day would leave things well enough alone. If it's not broken, don't fix it. If they eventually decide to do this - SHAME ON YOU, PRINCESS CRUISES !

I also think they should listen to their passenger base or potential passenger base and see how they respond before they do this "fleet wide".

I like it - it's a fresh take on the seawitch and looks like swells.

Is anyone familiar with Dazzle Camouflage from the First World War. They used to paint the ships in a way which disguised the ship type and in particular how fast or slow it was sailing along. Painting a false bow wave helped in this respect but they were a bit gaudy.

Regards John

I think it looks very nice and is somewhat clever to incorporate the seawitch logo on the bow to look like waves. I also think it will appeal to the younger demographic, which of course will help ensure Princess' longevity. And after all, it's only paint which can be changed easily enough.

Is anyone familiar with Dazzle Camouflage from the First World War. They used to paint the ships in a way which disguised the ship type and in particular how fast or slow it was sailing along. Painting a false bow wave helped in this respect but they were a bit gaudy.

Regards John

Princess just wants to give us the ol razzle dazzle ;)

Sometimes I wonder what they are thinking at corporate headquarters. It would really be nice if they would query their customer base before taking action......:confused:

I believe they did.

I think that asking customer opinions & then basing decisions on their opinions is not always true. ;)

This summer on the Grand to Alaska Princess is "testing" requiring prepayment for shore excursions. Based on emails passengers have posted this change was to "benefit" passengers by being able to spread out their cost of the cruise. :eek: That has been an option for a couple of years & is nothing "new" but Princess has many first time passengers to Alaska who are unaware of that fact. So new Princess passengers will think that tour prepayment is SOP for Princess & not express their dissatisfaction with the change. Some of us have posted feeling it's merely a sham "test" to prove that prepayment is something passengers desire before Princess implements it fleetwide.

So maybe sometimes the results of a survey or test may just be to make passengers believe they're part of the decision making process even though the decision has already been made to change something.

I'm not a marketing nor business major however it's just an opinion from a lifetime of being a consumer. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I'm in the "don't like it" category. I've always liked that Princess seemed to have a bit more class than the line that painted weird stuff on their ships.

Agree. While Princess is still WAY above their other divisions, this undeniably cheapens it. While this one item is minor, I'm concerned about in what other ways they will cheapen their product. ("Share" comes to mind.......)

Regards John

There are online clubs of Naval veterans that model ships of past wars and go to great extent to recreate exact colours of camouflage. If you are interested look up model warships and find the photo galleries. Interesting stuff seeing the range of blue colours the ships were painted in. Colours such as white were also used as well as greens and shades of pink to blend in with the horizon of a setting or rising sun. A well painted ship could keep that submarine periscope up longer giving lookouts a chance to spot it and also it made it harder for optical range finders to calculate correct angles for determining range and heading.

As far as Princess go, I personally think they are making a big mistake. Perhaps they should just leave the Majestic Princess only in this new livery and not roll it out to the rest of the fleet. I have the opinion that it is a waste of money particularly when you board a ship and there can be passenger facilities that are broken down or out of order. Passenger facilities and crew pay and cruise experience should come before a paint job designed for no practical purposes other than aesthetics.

I am repeating here the comments I posted on our "Royal" roll call page.

"Just saw the new Princess hull colors for "Majestic Princess" and, eventually all of the fleet, (look under the "NEWS" heading at the top of this page).

I'm beginning to suspect that Princess wants to attract a whole new clientele. Circus performers and old time carnival barkers should feel right at home with this new color scheme. I expect some might like it, but I find it just a bit gaudy and reminiscent of Norwegian ships."

I am repeating here the comments I posted on our "Royal" roll call page.

"Just saw the new Princess hull colors for "Majestic Princess" and, eventually all of the fleet, (look under the "NEWS" heading at the top of this page).

I'm beginning to suspect that Princess wants to attract a whole new clientele. Circus performers and old time carnival barkers should feel right at home with this new color scheme. I expect some might like it, but I find it just a bit gaudy and reminiscent of Norwegian ships."

Wow, drama much? This is ridiculous. They painted the freaking hull. Big deal! It doesn't change the product at all.

Wow, drama much? This is ridiculous. They painted the freaking hull. Big deal! It doesn't change the product at all.

Well, some people like it, and some don't. Big deal! Is this going to turn into an uncivil conversation about whose taste is better than whose? I hope not.

I think that asking customer opinions & then basing decisions on their opinions is not always true. ;)

I think they do the surveys for advertising reasons to reveal to people what they've decided to do anyway. The "choice" part is for show, so they can cover the you-know-what.

I'm not a marketing nor business major however it's just an opinion from a lifetime of being a consumer. ;)

I am going to give you credit for that, and I won't complain that your opinion is not "expert."