New Livery on PCL Ships

InTheWASide

I agree. Similar to what P&O started w/ Brittania.

You mean the bleeding nose and the symbol that represents a colonisation attempt of almost the entire world!

I have not been back to P&O since they changed for the worst. It was not only the paint but they just dropped all their standards they had which were good and unique to them. I was in the top level loyalty tier with them. I now cruise Princess. I used to cruise with P&O every year. Now since 2013 inclusive this is the forth year in a row I have avoided P&O. I now sail with Princess.

I like it. Distinctive but classier than what I've seen on other lines. When you pass a ship at sea, there'll be no question whether it's a Princess ship or not. Now, if they'd only add the Love Boat horn to every Princess ship. Nothing more thrilling than hearing the Love Boat at sailaway.

Ditto!

Does anyone have the survey sent by Princess showing the different hull design options? If what we see on Majestic really is the best design, I'd be curious to see what else they had in mind.

A few observations:

1. This new livery solidifies what we've all known for a long time...Princess is not a premium cruise line. It is the understated moderate cruise brand for Carnival Corp.

2. Hull art is here to stay. With so many cruise lines and ships in the market, more lines are looking for ways to differentiate and identify their brand. Back in the 70s/80s Royal Caribbean and Carnival pioneered the idea of using their funnel designs for branding and now it's hull art. Who knew Sitmar's short-lived swan livery and waves on the hull were to become an industry standard?

I think it's fantastic. I am glad they kept the seawitch. It is in line with the design airline liveries are moving to. In addition one will be able to tell it's a Princess ship from a distance. It forces the eye to the ship which will help with branding. It new, modern, yet classy which is the image i think Princess is trying to move to to help them demographically.

To me the remainder of the article is full of marketing claims including being a premium cruise line. Princess provides me with the best cruise for the price paid but IMHO it has not been "premium" in many years. I consider Oceania & Azamara premium cruise lines & a step below luxury cruise lines such as Crystal.

Painting the hull is not something a premium line (or luxury for that matter) would ever do.

Apparently Princess wants to be like NCL?

Some pics of the Majestic with the new graphics in case you didn't see my earlier thread:

12670586_949891135092471_4299771693107544834_n.jpg

12647396_949891138425804_2362266084143647079_n.jpg

Judging from the name on the ship, it is doubtful we in the US/Europe market will be seeing much of this ship.

Personally I found the artwork surrounding the stack topside to be enough for brand recognition.

Yes, because one judges a cruiseline by how the ship's hulls are painted. :rolleyes:

Of course they don't! They reserve judgment about everything until after they have tried it. It's impossible to have an opinion about anything until one has experienced it. I read that somewhere. :p

of course they don't! They reserve judgment about everything until after they have tried it. it's impossible to have an opinion about anything until one has experienced it. I read that somewhere. :p

Lol! I wrote that somewhere. :D

How one company presents and markets itself says a lot about the company. Pure marketing.

Excellent point. However I'm thinking the design is simple and not gaudy at all as we've seen on NCL ships which look to me as if they were painted as part of a grade school mural project.

Excellent point. However I'm thinking the design is simple and not gaudy at all as we've seen on NCL ships which look to me as if they were painted as part of a grade school mural project.
I would send my kids to that school in a heartbeat - I think the Norwegian ship artwork is very well done.

I think the blue/white color for Princess will show as a poor copy. In the original photo I saw online the curvature of the bow made the sea witch look terrible.

Edited by Times Prince

Uh, WHO ever got a chance to comment???

Sometime last year Princess set up a number of customers to receive surveys on a number of changes that Princess considers making. It is a way to get some customer input into the decision making.

At the time this was set up, there was a web address you could go to to ask to be part of the survey group.

Surveys have included everything from livery choices to web page design changes to chocolates on the pillows to what pictures to use in catalogs to itinerary names.

Edited by caribill

Sometime last year Princess set up a number of customers to receive surveys on a number of changes that Princess considers making. It is a way to get some customer input into the decision making.

At the time this was set up, there was a web address you could go to to ask to be part of the survey group.

Surveys have included everything from livery choices to web page design changes to chocolates on the pillows to what pictures to use in catalogs to itinerary names.

Does anyone have the livery choices from the survey they could post?

Now, if they'd only add the Love Boat horn to every Princess ship. Nothing more thrilling than hearing the Love Boat at sailaway.

:eek:

I'm happy to have personal knowledge of several things more thrilling than that. I just heard it from the Regal three times in St. Thomas and it was like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. DH is more neutral, but even he wants to pass a hat to collect for the purchase of a few more bars of the song.

I dislike the new hull design (had to look up the definition of 'livery', though). But Princess is not designing horns or hulls for me. They are designing for people who haven't camped on Princess ships for the past several years. In fact, they're designing for people who have never stepped foot on a ship. I wish them luck in securing the business of their intended market.