Changes to Crown & Anchor

Why do you even discuss what level you are ? If you are in the lounge apparently you are entitled to be there. If one asks me how many pts or what C&A level I am my reply is always " not as many as you " and if they don't like it..tough :) :)

I do respect that, but unfortunately that has not been my experience from the interactions I have had with some D+ and Pinnacle members, especially on TA's which attracts a high number of higher level C&A members. Too many of those made disparaging remarks just because at that time I was only D, albeit in a suite. 2 of whom were Pinnacle and several D+. Therefore, I don't think I had the elitist attitude, it was them and for reference they were from the UK.

And BTW this was on at least 2 TA's I experienced this attitude. So much so that if I go to consider a TA, I will check to see if these members are on that sailing. If they are, I will most possibly not sail, that's how uncomfortable they made me feel. However, if I do take that sailing, I can guarantee I will not be visiting either the DL or CL.

If people then consider that I have an elitist attitude, then so be it. But as I have stated, if I purchase a suite, I expect to be able to use all the amenities that come with that purchase. If that is to the detriment of others, then sorry but I can turn the tables and tell them if they want the amenities that come with a suite, then book a suite or stay home. It works both ways. :D

But you are perpetuating the elitist attitude. Rather than be better than those that had it with you, you continue it. People that can utilize the CL without being in a Suite, don't have all the luxury that comes with the suite, so they are NOT getting all of the amenities that you enjoy.

If someone has a displeasing attitude with me, I wisk it away in my mind as 'glad I wasn't raised like they were' and move on the enjoy the rest of my day.

If someone has sailed 175+ nights and given Royal their money over the long haul and Royal feels that loyalty is just as valuable as the cruiser who pays for the luxury of a suite and wants to reward both with use of the CL....fine fine. If they make a suite only lounge, I guess those in the JS would be likely be excluded based on the fact that it is 'only a JS'.

I hope all have a great time on their next cruise....but some people need to be simply left alone with their attitude as company.

But you are perpetuating the elitist .
We'll have to agree to disagree. Anyway I'm off to offend someone else now as it appears I'm poles apart from most on CC and those loyal to Royal. But no problem I've only 1 upcoming sailing on RCI, we've found alternative lines. Edited by peteukmcr

I really did not perceive Pete as being elitist; rather just frustrated at the cross examinations by those who hold court in the lounges. I have dealt with this in the Diamond Lounge on one ship, and had an ineffective concierge who only glad handed for a tip, so what Pete has experienced is not unique (I would not be surprised if it were the same concierge honestly).

I understand the black and white font on the screen can lose a lot of tone and meaning, but that is the impression I have taken. I could be wrong and he may thing I am scum of the Earth in my interiors and OV's, but I doubt I am wrong and I doubt he feels that way.

He simply wants to be able to use the amenities he has paid for without being hassled or feel that he is forced to compromise suite benefits because some non-suite guests are monopolizing the space too. And although this may be technically allowed, it is becoming a big enough problem for Royal to create parallel programs and D+, and possibly Pinnacle in the future, will just have to accept that some areas they have access too and others they will not.

So that's my impression.

I really did not perceive Pete as being elitist; rather just frustrated at the cross examinations by those who hold court in the lounges. Exactly I have dealt with this in the Diamond Lounge on one ship, and had an ineffective concierge who only glad handed for a tip (same here), so what Pete has experienced is not unique (I would not be surprised if it were the same concierge honestly).

I understand the black and white font on the screen can lose a lot of tone and meaning, but that is the impression I have taken. I could be wrong and he may thing I am scum of the Earth in my interiors and OV's, but I doubt I am wrong and I doubt he feels that way. No way do I think that

He simply wants to be able to use the amenities he has paid for without being hassled or feel that he is forced to compromise suite benefits because some non-suite guests are monopolizing the space too. And although this may be technically allowed, it is becoming a big enough problem for Royal to create parallel programs and D+, and possibly Pinnacle in the future, will just have to accept that some areas they have access too and others they will not.

So that's my impression.

Thanks, totally agree with your summary.

Rccl knows there is a easy fix . First raise the points of each level. Second diamond members don't get a lounge you get your 3 drinks at a bar. That will take the load off the lounges. I know diamonds don't want to hear that but it's to easy to hit diamond. Let's see what the changes on May 1 2016 brings.

Not sure why you think it is" easy" to make diamond - for the majority of people(myself included) - I don't think it is, Takes vacation time, extra disposal income for each trip. Also, not living near a port adds cost almost equal to cruise cost. Getting drinks at a bar is not the same as socializing in the diamond lounge.

Because as far as I'm concerned a D+ shouldn't have the facility to use the CL and as I said, this is being addressed on the newer and refurbished ships which now just have a suite lounge where D+ members no longer have access- hurrah! If I spend money on a suite I don't expect to have to share an exclusive lounge with people who maybe in an inside cabin but just because they have cruised many times have accumulated enough points allows them access to a venue I've paid a princely sum for. Look at other lines like NCL and MSC, they have exclusive areas, and that's exactly what RCI are chasing, premium business.

I've experienced the Haven on NCL and it seems to me you should try it also. Royal has a program that allows its loyalty members to use the CL. If you don't like the suite program on Royal-try another cruise line. I did and I love it! Never going back to Royal in a suite again.

You can not fault the person sailing in an inside cabin that has access to Royals CL. If those suite amenities then fail in your eyes because of the amount of people that can use them and they become watered down in your opinion, then try another lines suite offerings.

I don't think it is the UK part that drives the attitude. However, I see you are from there and I can see why you would prefer to distance yourself from misconceptions.

Or this:

I do respect that, but unfortunately that has not been my experience from the interactions I have had with some D+ and Pinnacle members, especially on TA's which attracts a high number of higher level C&A members. Too many of those made disparaging remarks just because at that time I was only D, albeit in a suite. 2 of whom were Pinnacle and several D+. Therefore, I don't think I had the elitist attitude, it was them and for reference they were from the UK.

And BTW this was on at least 2 TA's I experienced this attitude. So much so that if I go to consider a TA, I will check to see if these members are on that sailing. If they are, I will most possibly not sail, that's how uncomfortable they made me feel. However, if I do take that sailing, I can guarantee I will not be visiting either the DL or CL.

If people then consider that I have an elitist attitude, then so be it. But as I have stated, if I purchase a suite, I expect to be able to use all the amenities that come with that purchase. If that is to the detriment of others, then sorry but I can turn the tables and tell them if they want the amenities that come with a suite, then book a suite or stay home. It works both ways. :D

New Suite privilege announced the posh people in the suite’s will get to pick a D+ steerage class passenger each evening and then the next morning from the comfort of the CL/SL be able to watch the poor steerage class D+ member being Keel hauled, Royal hope that this new entertainment will free up a few seats for our elite passengers in the CL/SL by removing a few D+ members.

Interesting discussion and both sides of the issue certainly have validity. Some of us have been around long to remember when the D members were first invited to use the concierge lounge. Long before the mega ships. In those days it was unusual to have more than four or five D members onboard. Seating was plentiful. The concierge did everything ~ made reservations, solved problems, pour drinks and socialized with the guests.

Then the program grew and a bartender/server was added to aid the concierge, then another server. Seating became a problem and D members lost access. Then the D lounge and another concierge and more servers and again seating is becoming a problem.

Somehow along the way some Crown and Anchor members have laid claim to the concierge lounge even to the extent of referring it to as the D+ lounge. They feel that their loyalty is of greater value than the high dollars spend by suite guests Suite guests feel that they have paid for access to the lounge. So the tensions between some suite guests and some Crown and Anchor members is understandable.

I guess the question is whether or not the cycle of more and larger lounges continues. Personally I don't think RCCL is going convert any passenger cabins into more lounge space. I sure don't know what will happen but I suspect we will see more Suite Lounges and Costal Kitchens and they will service suite and pinnacle guests. D+ members will take over the D lounge and D members will have the drinks on their card.

The concierge did everything ~ made reservations, solved problems, pour drinks and socialized with the guests.

Then the program grew and a bartender/server was added to aid the concierge, then another server. Seating became a problem and D members lost access. Then the D lounge and another concierge and more servers and again seating is becoming a problem.

I remember the honor bar and self serve of liquor and beer

Do you remember the CL on the Brilliance? Talk about small. Nice view, though

We enjoyed that one also, though normally we prefer the more forward facing view in the

DL on Radiance class ships, we tended to go to the CL on Brilliance to sit at the bar with old

and new friends. Had a great time!

Though we did wait until after first seating (around 6 pm) to go in since it got so crowded

in the CL before that. The whole place just about emptied out by 6 pm so by then we

always found a seat. We called it "Magic hour". ;)

Edited by island lady

Shouldn't you be on the way to Houston by now. :eek:

Tomorrow morning. I already confirmed the limo from my home to the airport and the limo from the hotel to the port.

I've had it with taxis. :mad:

What a sad statement….and something I doubt most people in the CL/SL ever experience….certainly NOT from the large number of people that I have met in the CL/SL on my 100+ cruises. A smile, kind word, and pleasant disposition goes a long way in any environment to ensure that one is treated kindly.

If we were to ever meet in the lounge I will treat you with great kindness and hopefully help heal some of your pain.

And I can vouch for that! Gil and Gail are some of the nicest, most welcoming people

we have ever met and will always look forward to when our cruise dates line up!

Hope to sail with you again soon! :)