First Person account of Anthem's stormy voyage

Merion_Mom

""The turn exposed our starboard (right) side to the full force of the wind for about 30 minutes and produced a fairly constant list (tilt) to port side (left) of about 15-20 degrees. "

That's the "just throw the pants out" moment for me. I didn't realize it took 30 minutes to make that turn. that's brutal.

The story in the attached link should make ALL of those passengers on the Anthem grateful that they were on a ship and not an airplane in a much lesser storm. Hope this helps a bit to ease the pain you all endured and on the things we endure during our "vacation travel"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2016/02/18/four-hour-flight-turns-into-30-hour-nightmare-for-delta-passengers/

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

Ok.. We were on this cruise and it wasn't bad like Crowley said. However, this was his 3rd cruise where something happened. I now reserve the right to check the passenger manifest and if he is on any of my next sailings, I should be able to rebook at ANY time. His luck is bound to change.

Ok.. We were on this cruise and it wasn't bad like Crowley said. However, this was his 3rd cruise where something happened. I now reserve the right to check the passenger manifest and if he is on any of my next sailings, I should be able to rebook at ANY time. His luck is bound to change.

LOl, yes, I agree.

The story in the attached link should make ALL of those passengers on the Anthem grateful that they were on a ship and not an airplane in a much lesser storm. Hope this helps a bit to ease the pain you all endured and on the things we endure during our "vacation travel"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2016/02/18/four-hour-flight-turns-into-30-hour-nightmare-for-delta-passengers/

WOW, luckily I have never had it that bad.

I had the same thought as I read the story! :)

""The turn exposed our starboard (right) side to the full force of the wind for about 30 minutes and produced a fairly constant list (tilt) to port side (left) of about 15-20 degrees. "

That's the "just throw the pants out" moment for me. I didn't realize it took 30 minutes to make that turn. that's brutal.

I don't understand why you say that is brutal. How long would you think it would take .

BaHaHa. I felt the same way reading one of the other Anthem threads. One CC poster mentioned he had been on the Hurricane Sandy out of Bayonne cruise, also and was comparing the two voyages. . . . I thought they should make note of his cruises so we can all avoid them :rolleyes:

While it may or may not have taken 30 minutes (time drags when your sitting like that), it's all about timing. The ship would have been "hove to" with the wind and seas slightly off the bow. Now, wind and seas do not normally come from the exact same direction, so the helmsman is trying to balance between the two to minimize rolling and pitching. Now, he eases the helm over (you don't want to do anything quickly in that kind of weather), and a sea comes from the direction you are turning to, and throws the bow back. Try again, different timing in relation to seas, little more helm. Same result. Try again, and repeat. You have to have a fine feel for what the waves are doing in order to turn a ship around in weather like that. Also, once broadside to the wind, she will want to stay that way, as the wind force on the bow and stern are equal.

Fine seamanship by the Captain, the bridge crew, but especially the helmsman who accomplished the turn.

Great interview and account of the storm...I identified with him more than any other account I've read. This is how we would've reacted.

BTW, when beating or close hauled on the ocean in our Catalina, the list is almost always a constant 10 to 12 degrees and sometimes 15* with gusts. So I have experienced that. It is scary, especially on a small boat but quite exhilarating!

What next...:cool:

Edited by BecciBoo

While it may or may not have taken 30 minutes (time drags when your sitting like that), it's all about timing. The ship would have been "hove to" with the wind and seas slightly off the bow. Now, wind and seas do not normally come from the exact same direction, so the helmsman is trying to balance between the two to minimize rolling and pitching. Now, he eases the helm over (you don't want to do anything quickly in that kind of weather), and a sea comes from the direction you are turning to, and throws the bow back. Try again, different timing in relation to seas, little more helm. Same result. Try again, and repeat. You have to have a fine feel for what the waves are doing in order to turn a ship around in weather like that. Also, once broadside to the wind, she will want to stay that way, as the wind force on the bow and stern are equal.

Fine seamanship by the Captain, the bridge crew, but especially the helmsman who accomplished the turn.

I've kept my mouth shut during most of this Anthem drama, but I've enjoyed reading and learning from you throughout. So, I'll end my silence by saying thank you for being here.

I'm an aviator by training and education, but a wannabe sailor at heart. :)

Anyone who has been on a bridge tour sees the incredibly advanced automation that makes up the controls running the ship. However, after reading Chengkp75's description of turning the ship above, you realize that in the end, these kinds of maneuvers are made by experienced, skilled crew who aren't just button pushers and knob movers. It's not always like playing a video game with the little joystick.

Edited by njmomof2

Regarding your rough ride in the Med. What time of year was that.

Only been on 2 Med cruises but both times seas were calm...it was

June and the other July.

Use Mr. Google and search the Brilliance cruise of December 13, 2010 in the Med and you will find that those folks went through probably worse conditions than Anthem with many injuries and 1 death.

Use Mr. Google and search the Brilliance cruise of December 13, 2010 in the Med and you will find that those folks went through probably worse conditions than Anthem with many injuries and 1 death.

Had a friend on that one. In fact we discussed it the other day after Anthem and she recounted she was thrown across her cabin out of bed, everyone was sleeping. Her friend in next cabin said her TV crashed on the floor glass everywhere. Everyone missed Egypt, very disappointed. She sent me a picture of a waterspout out her 3rd deck porthole when it happened and the Christmas tree smashed on the floor. That one was a duzzy:eek:

Edited by BecciBoo